Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I looked at the HS10, AE300 and HT1000 today.

Some points:-

I liked the higher resolution of the HS10 and HT1000 over the AE300.

The HT1000 had better black and contrast that both the other two. As you would expect for a DLP.

I disliked the rainbow effect and very poor SVHS input on the HT1000 (component input was OK).

So for the money I think that I will go for the Sony HS10.

I am unsure about a couple of thing and was wondering if someone here could please answer.

1. I was told that the HS10 cable suplied will accept both component and RGB, is this corect? As I have a DVD player with only RGB (combined sync).

2. I was also told that there are some issues with HDTV 1020i (720p is OK), does this sound correct?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
I receive my HS-10 in the next day or two, but believe you are partially correct. Sony provides a 10 meter cable with the HS-10 that attaches to the projector on one end, and accepts three inputs on the other: component video, S-video and composite connections at the other end.

I have read that the HS-10 does a pretty good job of converting all sources to its native 768 lines of resolution. Check the HS10 faq or do a search here for more discussion from owners with real experiences, not half-baked conjecture like mine. :.)

David

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
1) Yes the Sony multi cable does composite, component and S-Video.

2) It's incorrect that there are issues at 1080i. In fact the HS10 scales to 1080i spectacularly.

I washed the hi-def feed of that stupid I Love Lucy "documentary" last night, and the lameness of that gossipfest was more than compensated for by the most incredible video I've seen anywhere on any equipment before. All on my humble HS10 doing 1080i.

What you might be thinking of is that the HS10 (along with any other digital projectors at any price on the market) does not have the resolution for 1:1 pixel mapping at its native resolution. Not to worry, HDTV looks incredible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The HS10 does not come with RGB input. This can be achieved using an optional VGA cable and RGB-to-VGA converter.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I need another cable to input RGB which is the additional Sony VGA cable.

Can anyone confirm that it can accept a combined sync signal or does the H & V have to be seperate?

If this is the case can a simple cct be made to seperate the H & V sync from a combined sync signal?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Caranick, there have been issues reported about using a DGTEC HDTV box in Oz and the HS10 at 1080i; search for JSP's recent thread on the topic.

·
Registered
595 Posts
the HS10 DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY with 1080i 50Hz, in fact its unacceptable, I am praying a second australian brand of STB with this connection will come out before my warranty runs out as Sony blames the maker of the current one and only brand of STB's for having a bad product. Funny how the STB works fine on all other projectors which handle 1080i 50hz.

I have posted at 3 forums about this now and found people from australia with my same issue.

The HS10 looses sync with the 1080i signal and thus looses picture for 5-10 seconds every few minutes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just picked up my new HS10 today. I hooked it up with SVHS - no problems.

Looking at the manual it lists the multi cable supplied as rbg/component, so what the hell i'll try it on my DVD player with a scart (RGB only) out. Presto, looks perfect to me, RGB with combined sync.

SO, the multi cable supplied does do RGB!!!!! Combined sync on the yellow connector.

·
Registered
65 Posts
can I ask what yellow connector you're talking about. Do you mean to use RGB you're gonna have to use the yellow composite aswell.? (sorry if I'm way off here)

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
from the manual it looks like you can use the supplied cable that goes from a sony port (looks like some sort of proprietary SCSI port) to compont, composite or S-video. It also has direct inputs for each of these types of connections.

·
Registered
65 Posts
RGB is of more interest to me and how to get it into the HS10 without an HS30 cable.

Surely someone here must have an HS10 and using RGB in from some kind of scaler/processor.?

·
Registered
Construction debris
1,137 Posts
A scaler/processor is basically a waste of money with the HS10. I can barely tell the difference between interlaced and progressive mode with my DVD player going into the HS10. I notice interlacing artifacts from both, maybe the HS10 a tiny bit more. Not much though. My DVD player is the Faroujda FLI-2200 equipped Panasonic RP-62.

I was "disappointed" after buying the DVD player and HS10 at the same time to find out that I could have just stuck it out with just my XBox as a DVD player. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The multi function cable suplied has 5 connectors on the end. SVHS, Red, Green, Blue & Yellow.

I connected the Red/Green/Blue to the correct outputs, I then connected the combined sync output from my DVD player to the yellow connector.

I havn't had a chance to check the menu settings or if the yellow connection is in fact required; perhaps tonight i'll check it out and post results.

·
Registered
65 Posts
would love to hear your findings mate.:)

as for whether an interlaced image was as good as a PS image direct from a decent capable player, I'd be very surprised if it was, but of course the proof is in the pudding..

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
the connector is (from the manual)

S-Video, component (Red, Green, Blue colored cable), composite (yellow cable)

You have 3 ways to input your signal:

1) S-Video (not svhs, thats a high definition VHS player).

2) Component (luminance and chrominance) from your DVD or other device. These are labled "Y", "PB/CB", "PR/CR" on your dvd and HS10

3) Composite which is a single cable for your video signal

Although the RCA jacks are usually color coded as red, green, and blue, component video is not the same as or interchangeable with the RGB connection.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well P56 of my HS10 manual (which has 'GB' printed right next to the page number - does this mean UK/PAL?) says the following about the PJ Multiconnector:

Composite Video

S video - Y/C

Analog RGB/component:

(and *this* is where it gets complicated)

R/CR (Pr)

G

G with sync/Y

B/Cb (Pb)

SYNC/HD: Composite sync input

Just what all that baloney means is anyones guess BUT I think it implies that the multipin connection will accept either RGB (with sync on green or composite) OR component. The input can be switched in the menu to either component or RGB from what I remember...

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Quote:
(and *this* is where it gets complicated)

R/CR (Pr)

G

G with sync/Y

B/Cb (Pb)

SYNC/HD: Composite sync input

Just what all that baloney means is anyones guess
Look on page 16 of your manual, its very clear.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hmm, P16 of my HS10 manual says 'Step 3: Adjusting the Picture Size & Position'...

On P14 there are some diagrams showing examples of connecting various bits of equipment to the HS10 but it certainly is not very clear, although there is no mention of RGB in these diagrams, which conflicts with the above 'baloney' unless I am misinterpreting something...

Could you pls explain to me what the above 'baloney' means and can you confirm that it means RGB as well as component?

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Look Guys,

Alright I might not be typing the correct name for the S-Video (who cares).

But I can tell you that I have a new HS10 and I have an old Pioneer 717 which only has RGB via SCART.

I have a converter cable (Scart RGB+sync to 4 RCA female connectors) that I made, I previously used to connect the DVD to a Sony 1271 CRT projector (RGB).

Last night I connected the multi function cable supplied with the HS10 to my DVD via only the RGB cable. AND IT WORKED!!!!

So I tell you that It does to RGB via the multi function cable supplied with th HS10 in Australia.

Tonight I will confirm the menu settings for you.

Regards,

Nick

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.