AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some good HS2 Opinions. I tried out an X1 but I'm not sure I can come to grips with the rainbows. I seem to be somewhat sensitive to them... If the HS2 is a good perfomer then I may move to that direction.

And please no suggestions for other models, just looking for opinions on the HS2. It would be extra special nice if compared to the X1 but anything would be good.

BTW, my last projector was a VPL-W400Q.

Thanks

J5

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hope I will get my HS-2 during the first two weeks in January. I will post some first impressions and try to come up with some screenshots. I am very interested in screenshots myself, but very few have come up on this forum although some have the HS-2 in their possession :D There are some screenshots here (but unfortunately very low quality):

http://www.msnusers.com/killarmy

Please HS-2 people, if you have a digital camera, we would love some nice quality screenshots, thanks :)

One nice little PS would be to mention that the HS-2 is the new budget reference PJ in its price range on this swedish quality site http://www.bigscreen.se (only swedish language though) The main contenders were (among the tested PJs) Philips Garbo and Sanyo PLV-Z1.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a swedish to english translator out there we could use? Babelfish and Google Translate don't seem to have a swedish to english option. Maybe if we contact the owners of the website they would provide a translation?

J5

·
Registered
457 Posts
In the spirit of Christmas and the New Year I will personally translate the review for you into english. Please be patient though, I will try to put it up sometime tomorrow :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pheew! Et Voila! :D ---->

Sony VPL-HS2 Cineza

NEW BUDGET REFERENCE!

We just finished testing the Sony HS10 when we open the carton which contained its little brother in the Cineza family: the HS2. Sony VPL-HS2 Cineza is an updated and further developed version of the 1 year old HS1 which was tested simultaneously alongside the NEC VT45 during the winter -2001. At that time the performance did not reach as far as the little NEC wonderboy, but here in the beginning of the review, we can already reveal that NEC, after one year with the VT45 as budget reference choice no.1 here at Bigscreen.se has to step down and give room for the HS2 with a modern LCD-technique under the hood. We are very excited at such huge improvements in the home cinema world...

© BigScreen Entertainment

It's in this price range, i e the budget class (which for LCD projectors is located in the 30000SEK range) *(1$ is about 9,50SEK))* in which the larger quantities lie. This is where most projectors are sold and also where the greatest development is made. Nowadays we are almost flooded with new budget models in our test room and in some cases the manufacturer have put a lot of "home cinema" into their PJs and sometimes a little less. Concerning the HS2 in this review, as with the previously review HS10, Sony put 100 percent home cinema into it. This is the second time the VT45 is challenged for "best budget home cinema PJ". The Panasonic PT-AE100 with its incredible price tag more or less put itself on the first place alongside the VT45, depending on the user's needs. Then it was "Best Buy" instead of reference. This time around the performance is so much further ahead that the NEC VT45 will simply have to step aside and let a better home cinema PJ take its place. Now it's nothing less then real 16:9 for the consumers! The price of 27000SEK is exactly the same as with the NEC VT45 which was launched in November -2001.

A THING OF BEAUTY

Like its older brother HS10, the HS2 instruction manual is really well put together and very easy to understand, even for a first time PJ user. In this package Sony include the "PJ Multi" cable which converts S-video to PJ. Also included is an extra air-filter which is easily replaced when needed. The HS2, like the HS10, have a removable "Cinema Filter" on the lense which is supposed to lower the bottom blackness and thus raise the contrast level. It actually works very well! The remote is the same as for the HS10. As mentioned in the HS10 review, we don't particularly like the layout of the buttons 100 percent, but it is backlit which is a big plus and it communicates with its PJ without any connection problems. The chassis design is similar to the HS10 except for the front. Here are no fan-outtakes, instead they are placed on the front underside, right above the superb "foot" on which the PJ stands firmly. The "foot" is of "computer monitor-type" which means easy tilt into the desired position. This solution should really be standard for all PJs, especially if it was also adjustable sideways. A mechanism holds the PJ firmly once locked. A funny detail is the automatic keystone correction at strong projection angles, but avoid keystone all together if possible. As usual a home cinema PJ is most suitable in the ceiling and opposed to the HS1, the HS2 can be ceiling mounted without any difficulties. The backside of the PJ is rounded and silver-colored which matches the top and front very well. With its refridgerator-like white and shiny finish it looks awesome in a living room. This projector is very good-looking with its clean design and together with the HS10 and manufacturers like SIM2 with its HT300, we hope these models become pioneers for other manufactures to offer just as cool designs. Under the rounded backside is a slim set of connections without both VGA for data and component. There are only composite, s-video and Sony's custom PJ Multi-connection, but thanks to the PJ Multi the user can connect VGA and component via special cables. The few buttons needed for menu-access are located on the left side of the PJ and manual zoom /fokus -wheels on the right. Through a menu-function (as with the HS10) you can choose to have the Sony-logo lit or turned off. The HS2 is at least as good looking as the HS10 if not more, and in combination with the picture delivered we can be noting but impressed.

DISCRETE

The menus look exactly like the HS10 ones and here we feel that a few more options would have been nice for calibration and adjustment. White balance and gamma is always good to compensate or adjust to the conditions, but here we get the conventional range of options. We settled on the following settings in our test room: Contrast 85, Light 55, Color 50, Sharpness 50. "Black Level Adjust" should not be tampered to much with since it lowers the detail in darker scenes. "Color Temperature" should be set to normal which produces more natural coloring. "DDE" should be set to "Film" to produce the best possible de-interlacing. "Cinema Black" should prefferably be activated since the fan-noise will be lowered considerably compared to the "Inactive" function. The fact is that when the PJ is used in this mode the sound is lowered to such a very discrete level, it is quite comparable to the Philips Garbo PJ, which is very good at only 27-28dB. Sony themselves are quite shy and state 30dB. The de-interlacing works like on its older brother. You get true progressive pictures with the "Film" (DDE) function activated. Unfortunately the coding sometimes drops which makes the picture fragmentarily loose sync in its interlace-to-progressive conversion. However, this happens at fractions of seconds so we doubt anyone will be disturbed because of this little aspect. A few of the test panel members did not care at all, but we still think it is worth mentioning because of the extremely sensitive people out there. The de-interlacing is functioning quite well being a "none-OEM chip".

POWERFUL PICTURES

The HS2 black level is of very good class for an LCD. Our test object had a tint of red-blue (bright purple) added to the black, but the depth is very good for a budget-LCD. It is not far from the HS10 and it's much better than the NEC VT45, which looks much brighter and more green when compared. This black level therefore adds, together with a home-cinema-whopping 1000 ansi, very good picture dynamics. We even projected a 3 meter wide picture in 16:9 with much enjoyable results. In this price range this is a huge step forward to what we are used to and there is no doubt at all the HS2 greatly surpasses the VT45 in this aspect. The sharpness is not as sharp as the VT45 in 4:3 using RGB, but then we are talking lower resolution here. The VT45 with its 600 lines (in full 4:3) against the HS2 484 lines (in full 16:9) shows as a little less detail and sharpness, but this is much remedied by the HS2 contrast and picture dynamics that it is easily compensated for just by making sure you sit at the right distance from the screen (screensize doubled). Also the VT45 has lower resolution at 16:9 screening, i e with black borders on the lower and upper part of the picture (letterbox) The color reproduction of the HS2 is powerful for this price range which really gives very good power to most pictures, even relatively dark scenes. If we disregard the little blue-red tint it looks really lush. Skin tones and natural color scales with animals and nature are shown with much bravura on the Sony HS2. The slight color tint is really nothing you see without a direct shoot-out with a completely "tint-free" PJ like our reference LCD Marantz (135000SEK). Part from the tint, the HS2 has, like its older brother HS10, a slight problem with block-noise in strong pastelle colors like hard red and deep blue. However, the level is considerably lower than the HS10 and therefore we don't think that is an aspect that will make you not buy this amazing home cinema projector in the budget class for LCD.

SIMPLY PUT...THE NEW REFERENCE

It is clear that the market for home cinema projectors have begun to really blossom like a summer meadow. Never before have there been so many quality products to choose from if we disregard the hundreds of computer PJs with more or less good video pictures. Nowadays you hardly have to hesitate and look for which products are suitable for home cinema or not. Today almost every manufacturer have real home cinema PJs in their selection and Sony at this time have three of them. The largest one, the VPL-VW12HT (90000SEK) will be tested very soon. People who look for really good products in the lower price segments, which we would like to call "budget", we strongly recommend looking at the Sony HS2 "in action" so to speak. If the HS2 is set up in the right environment, that is in a dark room with a 2-2,5 meter screen, a good dvd player and quality cables, you should find it extremely interesting. We sure did! This is lots of home cinema for your money. Therefore, after a year, we take the NEC VT45 from the reference budget spot, push the pillow into a comfy position and put the Sony VPL-HS2 Cineza in its place as the new budget reference for LCD PJs. The question is, for how long? :) New models arrive at a steady pace in our test lab...

Connections:

A slim set of connections without VGA for data or component connects but with the PJ Multi connector which recieve VGA and Component signals via special cables.

Buttons:

Buttons needed for menu-access are located on the left side of the PJ and manual zoom /fokus -wheels on the right

Remote:

The remote is exacly the same as the HS10 one. We don't particularly like the layout of the buttons, but it is backlit which is a big plus and it communicates with the PJ without any connection problems.

PLUS

+ Real 16:9

+ Really good LCD-black level

+ Very low fan-noise (CB = on)

+ High contrast

+ Good color reproduction

+ Very cool and esthetic design

+ Price

MINUS

- Slightly lacking in de-interlacing

- Slight block-noise in strong colors

- No White balance

JUDGEMENT

A new LCD PJ with reference quality for budget models of today!

EQUIPMENT

Reference projector: Marantz VP-12S2 / NEC VT45

Reference picture (TV): Philips 32PW9616 / Sony KV-29X5

Screen: Euroscreen BlackLine / 3 meter / 1.0 gain

DVD-player: Pioneer DV-747

Videoprocessor: Silicon Image iScan-Pro

Cables: Supra

Movies: Star Wars EPII, LOTR – Extended Edition, Toy Story 2, Gladiator, Dinosaur, Cast Away

FACTS

Technique: LCD (0,62â€)

Format: 16:9

Matrix: 858 x 484 (WVGA)

Resolution: 415 272 pixels x 3 panels

Picture size: max 150â€

Screen distance: For 100â€: about 4,0m

Lightflow: 1000 Ansilumen

Contrast: 600:1 (Full On/Off)

Videoprocessor: Sony DRC-MF

Lamp: 150W UHP / 2000 hours

Fan-noise: 30 dB

Ceiling mount: Yes

Zoom: Yes, manual x 1,2

DVI: No

Component: Yes, through PJ Multi

Data: Yes, through PJ Multi (VGA)

Size: 304 x 168 x 321 mm

Weight: 4,5 kg

Price: 27000SEK

Info: Sony Sweden: 08 – 598 90 000
www.sonyhomecinema.com

All specifications according to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The only problem is this just added to the confusion as I feel I have to put it back on my short list.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thanks guys! It's nice to hear that you like the translation :) I could translate the HS10 review but I would need an OK from the guys behind the site first. However it may not be finished as quickly as the first translation since I go back to work on January 2nd.

·
Registered
457 Posts
davgiles:

They gave the OK for the HS-2 this morning but I'm still waiting for their reply concearning the HS10 review. Now it's time to put on the best suit, pour the champagne and light the cigar though :D

Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I got permission to translate the HS10 review (and with a little luck they will hire me to translate the whole site into english :)) Unfortunately my 13-day vacation is over tomorrow and I will begin to work as usual. I hope I can have it translated for you guys before the end of the week though :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drem
I got permission to translate the HS10 review (and with a little luck they will hire me to translate the whole site into english :))
That would be great! They have a really nice looking site, but there isn't even a decent automatic translator that I could find to do it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I will translate the HS10 review, but I was a little bit to optimistic when I said I could do it before the end of the week :) Work takes all the effort right now, but I will translate during this weekend though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow Drem! You are the man! I'm from Sweden originally and admire the effort you put in to doing that (Kanonjobb! att du bara orkade...!!!).

Can anyone explain the major differences between the HS10 and the HS2 with regards to technical specification? I can't find a way to access the manuals through Sony's webpage and wrote to their tech support to get hold of them.

I had a short audition of the HS10 at a dealer yesterday. I reacted to the block-noise, especially in blue, but according to the review below the HS2 handles this better...!?!?

I need to audition the HS2 as well. I wonder where I can find it in Michigan...

Peter

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Major difference between HS10 and HS2 is resolution;

HS2 is 858 x 484.

HS10 is 1366 x 768.

As such the HS10 is (theoretically) going to have lower screen door and higher detail, especially for HDTV material. Other than that they are quite similar, with only minor differences like HS10 has 200 lumens more output, and direct component input. No DVI port for HS2 either.

Great job on the translation Drem, that shows true dedication to your fellow forum members; much appreciated, as too will be the HS10 translation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wait a minute...!

No "direct component input"? Is there a difference between "component input" and "direct component input"? It still has a component input, right?

Peter

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think what he means is the hs10 has 2 component inputs, one on the supplied cable that pluggs into its pj-multi port, and another set directly on the back of the pj. The hs2 apparently doesent have the set directly on its back, but it does have the set through the pj-multi cable, as stated in the translated review.

Quote:
Originally posted by pesa
Wait a minute...!

No "direct component input"? Is there a difference between "component input" and "direct component input"? It still has a component input, right?

Peter

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sorry guys for the much delayed HS10 translation. I'm buried in too much work at the moment but I will translate it soon. By the way, I just got the HS-2 two days ago and what can I say, I'm a totally happy man :) However, I am going to go for a grey screen instead of white, because I want the added blacklevel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.