AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the HS20 for a few days now (and i was at work for most of it ) im awaiting my copy of AVIA to arrive. My question here is about the full through mode, selected when you press the wide button.

Even though it shrinks the screen by at least half if not more, the image quality looks ever sharper and crisper. Obviously when you go back to normal mode it doesnt look as good as that. If i connected my PC via DVI and use the full through mode would the image quality improve much and would the full through mode fill the frame. Come to think of it, what is one to one mapping. Any ideas anyone. The manual doesnt seem to be a great help. I didnt think it was possible to improve the picture quality that much. BTW im using the component connections on the PJ multi cable.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This was discussed here and there...

In its native resolution (1386x788), the HS20 (as the HS10) can only sync to 56Hz.

In 720p, some quality is lost due to scaling and overscan.

In full through mode 1280x720, about 16% of the Pixels are unused but there's neither overscan nor scaling.

However I'm not sure how the full though mode would reduce the picture to half of its size. It should be reduced to about 84%...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, so you have an NTSC-Signal (480p) at the moment. In this case, full through means of course the loss of a lot of pixels...

However, to fill the whole screen or at least 84% of it with a 1:1 mapping, you need to scale the picture anyway. I personally can't tell how much you gain in picture quality when bypassing the internal scaler, but from what I read in reviews, the internal scaler is not that bad.

So all in all I doubt the picture will be _much_ better, surely not 50% (whatever this would mean)...

I fear that with 480p input at least a part of the effect you see is simply by the reduced size of the picture, which makes it look sharper etc.

Did you try to compare full through mode to "normal" settings with the same picture size?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Besides Full, and Wide modes (for 4:3 and 16:9 material), the HS20 has a Through mode.

On DVD material (native 720x480) or NTSC, you will only see half of the display filled up. That's why the picture is sooooo small. If 720p is fed to the unit, most of the display will be filled -- but still not all. This "through" mode tells you that the HS20 is not scaling the image at all. Every pixel coming into the HS20 is displayed as received. This is where the term 1:1 pixel mapping comes from.

Unless you have a native 720p source signal, through mode will require some sort of scaling. 525 or 480i/p has to be upscaled to make it to a reasonable size. 1080i MUST be downscaled since the panel resolution does not go that high.

A digital, progessive signal will produce the best picture in the HS20. Some scaling will likely be required (unless you've watching native 720p HDTV). Theoretically, you should try to scale only once. This can be done by the DVD player or by the projector.

Read this post and my second one after it for additional explanation. (Though I'm talking about HDMI, what I say applies to DVI as well).

gp

P.S. There is a 1:1 pixel mapping thread for the HS20. That thread is dedicated to discussion of HTPC use. If you will use an HTPC, look for that recent thread (updated less than a week ago) for additional info.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right, i got that dvi cable last night. It did make a difference. I was using power dvd with a geforce 4200 with DVi out. While the geforce was telling me my monitor (hs20) was able to display its full panel res i couldnt get it past 800 x 600 on my settings. is this what i would need powerstrip for (i dont have it). Is there an easy 5 step guide to this somewhere. i had the hs20 on DVI computer and DVI Video GBR. which is the correct one to use? i have seen the light, but now i need a bit of guidance. Help....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an hs20 and was trying to get 1:1 as well. I found some powerstrip settings for the hs10 at www.hs10.com. They should work for the hs20 since the panels are the same size. I will be trying these settings tonight.

Timing parameters: 1366x768=1366,65,142,207,768,1,3,21,79046,39

Horizontal res: 1366

Vertical res: 768

Horizontal refresh: 45 Khz

Vertical refresh: 56 Hz (very important)

H-sync: negative

V-sync: negative

Like I said, I have not tried this yet. So I can't guarantee that the settings will work.

Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vicbarry
right, i got that dvi cable last night. It did make a difference. I was using power dvd with a geforce 4200 with DVi out. While the geforce was telling me my monitor (hs20) was able to display its full panel res i couldnt get it past 800 x 600 on my settings. is this what i would need powerstrip for (i dont have it). Is there an easy 5 step guide to this somewhere. i had the hs20 on DVI computer and DVI Video GBR. which is the correct one to use? i have seen the light, but now i need a bit of guidance. Help....
Switch the HS20 from VideoGRB mode to Computer mode.

If you have the time, set your computer output 1280*[email protected] and switch between these two modes. Tell us if you can see any difference between the images.

·
Registered
16 Posts
No luck here either. All I was able to achieve was the virtual desktop. Is it guaranteed that a higher ati card will work?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
RC1--

All ATI Radeon cards should be able to generate a 1366*768 picture (A higher end radeon won't work better in this regard).

I don't have an HS10/20 (still using a 10HT), but have been able to send similar resolutions via powerstrip, even with a Radeon LE

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tested ATI Radeon 7000, 9000 and 9600. All work nicely on 1366x768 1:1 DVI.

Even with my IBM T41 laptop (ATI Fire GL Mobile with docking station) DVI works flawlessly.

ATI rocks !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I'm sold. On my way to getting a 9800 pro since I do some computer gaming. Thanks for the info everyone. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.