Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got my first TV - a new Sony 32HS20 (same as XBR400), and it looks like I'm just very unlucky... While progressive DVD movies look incredible as they should, AVIA disc was pure disappointment... Looking at a simple crosshatch pattern, I can see that it's not quite straight everywhere (there's slight outward bowing all around), but I could live with that. However, to make the bottom line horizontal, I have to tilt-adjust by -5, but of course that only harms a more glaring problem: the vertical leftmost line bends sharply to the right (into the center of the screen) starting about 5" from the bottom (gains about 1/2" to the right)... the rightmost vertical line is not that straight either (has a kink), and the screen is overscanned beyond Avia's "Safe" area on the right (8% or so), again crookedly--more so in the bottom corner...

What should I do? Can ANY of this be adjusted in the service menu? Is this the case enough to have it replaced in the store (which won't be happy...), or to call up a Sony technician?..

Thanks for your help!!

Eh... disappointment http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

·
Registered
842 Posts
Count yourself lucky,

Most of what you are describing there can be fixed in the service menu by and ISF tech. It is not concidered to be ISF stuff but they can hanels it.

Myself... I got a tube with bad convergance... which ment I am screwed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How do you know what issues are caused by the tube and which ones can be fixed by the menu?

I have a 36XBR400. The following issues I noticed using the THX test feature of the T2 Ultimate Edition and a PS2 and/or Sony DVD Player.

- The top right corner seems to turn curve in starting about 6-7" down from the top. At top of screen, it is curved in about 1/2" from the edge of the screen. I first noticed this when playing Madden on the PS2 and the THX test jsut proved it. IT seems the curve in is not as pronounced when the source is the DVD player.

- Convergence issues across the top and left side of the screen... i.e. the white borders and dots on the test have color shadows around them.

I'm just starting to build my home theatre... the XBR is the keystone and sound will be coming in a few weeks. I had a tech come by and he adjusted the position of the picture but I was not too impressed by his knowledge, or lack there of, of the service menu... he pretty much guessed his way through it.

He did improve picture a little and told me that the problem was the tube... but my hunch says he was not telling me everything.

I would appreciate any pointers or tips on how to diagnose the problem... ie. do I need a new tube or is it something that can be fixed in the service menu? I just got the tv 2 months ago and it's still well inside the 1 year warranty so I want to fix anything I have to fix now.

I'm very technically inclined and wouldn't mind studying up and using the service menu if that will fix the option. TV tech dude was not impressive and I'm a strong believer in doing things yourself to get them right.

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
WatchdogFL,

I have the exact same issues on my new XBR450 and would love to have answers on whether these can be fixed or not. Let me know if you find anything out.

The good news (I guess) is that at least these appear to be normal problems.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
You think you are disappointed? How about paying $1500 more and ending up with a picture like this:
Loewe Geometry Problems

A number of ISFers have told me that it's hard to achieve perfect geometry on 32"+ direct view sets, since most of them lack north/south bow correction. But I expect far beeter performance than what the picture shows on the above link.

Hopefully, Sony will be more responsive than Loewe/Sensory Science. SS thinks the gross distortions are perfectly acceptable for a high-end $3500 display. Thinking like that will shortly put them out of business.

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To follow up on my original post, I went back to the store (Video Only) and popped in the Avia crosshatch pattern on the display model (both 36 and 32 HS20's were hooked up to the same DVD.) They, especially the 32, were even worse. Similar bending but at different points on the screen, plus across the entire top, convergence was deplorable. (I later went back to check my TV, and convergence in the top left is not good either, but not AS bad.) The store manager promptly told me this is within Sony spec so I should not expect to get an exchange, so.. I have to live with mine.

That's ok, as long as Darian is right and it can be fixed in the service mode, but I was told HS20's service mode has been completely altered from XBR400!.. That's not good news, considering this is my first TV and I never played with service mode before...and now can't use the info online on adjusting XBRs. Can't afford ISF tech either.

In a nutshell, I'm still looking for anyone out there with HS20 to trade hints on how to adjust it... or should I attempt to go the Sony technician route?

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is an ISF Tech? How much does it cost? And how do I get one? And more importantly, how do I guarantee I'll get my moneys worth when they tune my XBR??? AND can they fix the curvature problem?

Ok, enough ands..... hopefully some answers will be coming up... Anyone??? Bueller???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.