AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a StudioTek 130 from AVS but I wanted to make sure this is a good combo.

I have a fully light controlled room with Dark ceiling floor and walls. I also have a Sony HS51 sitting on shelf about 6 inches below the ceiling.

Anyone out there have this combo? Any problems with it?

I just need a little confidence this will be a good choice.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I can't answer your question - BUT - since you are buying it from AVS, it seems a call/e-mail to Jason, et. al. might be in order. They sell the units and are very familiar with them. They can probably guide you best as to screen/proj combos that work. Just a thought.

Ray

·
Registered
688 Posts
Kris Deering who writes for secrets has that exact combination. I've seen it and it looks marvelous.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The ST130 is a reference white fabric. It would surely give you a very filmlike image, and only help enhance the projectors capabilities. It does not do anything with the black levels like a gray screen, but as long as you have a light controlled room, I don't think that should matter. Another advantage is this material is timeless, meaning it will work with many projectors for years to come.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback so far. I was thinking a Studiotek would be better than a Firehawk for the reason you state Jason. I can see myself upgrading to a new projector in a couple years and a firehawk will hopefully not be needed for newer projectors. When/IF Sony comes out with a good priced SXRD I could see me going that way ;)

Should I consider something like a Black Screen? I have a dedicated room but I could see myself wanting some lights on during a Superbowl party or something like that. A black screen would help in this situation but will hurt in a dark situation?

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
The black screens have more limited viewing angles and offer little benefit in light controlled rooms. So it comes down to how often you'd be watching with lights on. If a lot, might be worth the added cost. If infrequently, I'd say save the money (they are a good amount more money).

·
Upgradus Interruptus
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Jozwiak
I am about to order a StudioTek 130 from AVS but I wanted to make sure this is a good combo.

I have a fully light controlled room with Dark ceiling floor and walls. I also have a Sony HS51 sitting on shelf about 6 inches below the ceiling.

Anyone out there have this combo? Any problems with it?

I just need a little confidence this will be a good choice.

Thanks,
I have this exact combination and it is terrific. I ordered the ST130 via Jason here and got great service as well.

Go for it! :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I did end up ordering the StudioTek 130 from Jason. Now I am anxiously waiting for shipment confirmation and details. That way I can check on its shipping status endlessly until it arrives.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I got my Studiotek 130 this weekend. I installed it and got my projector going. WOW! What a combo. I have not calibrated the projector yet but it looked great anyway. I watched a bunch of stuff from my DVHS, HD Cable, HD media server, and upconverted DVD. They all looked good. The HD Cable probably looked the worst of all sources but it still was pretty nice. All the sources were feeding into the Component input of the projector thru the component switch on my AVM-30.

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I would recommend this combo to all. Very nice indeed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.