AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

First time I've posted in a long time.

I currently have a 52" Bravia LCD with the CT100 hooked up to it. (The cable box, PS3 go through the woofer before connecting to TV)

I'm in the market for a larger TV and will probably get a Samsung since they are cheaper these days than the Sony.

I want to make sure my CT100 will still work with the Samsung TV the same way it does currently with my Sony.

Will it be as easy as just unplugging the HDMI from my Sony and plugging it into the Samsung? Is there anything else I should know?

I don't want to buy a TV only to get it home and find out that it isn't compatible with my CT100. I love that sound bar.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The HT-CT100 is pretty old. I have one that I just replaced with an HT-CT660 that knocks it's socks off. IMO, you might as well just go out and buy a new Sony HDTV and a new Sony soundbar to go with it or just go with Samsung TV and soundbar if that's your cup of tea, though Sony has better soundbars with more inputs and lossless audio decoding for the same price as what Samsung offers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

However, will the CT100 still work with newer TVs? That's what I mainly want to know.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdubls1  /t/1521801/sony-ht-ct100-compatibility-with-other-tvs#post_24489693

Thanks for the advice.

However, will the CT100 still work with newer TVs? That's what I mainly want to know.

You'll only know if you connect it. Sometimes things just don't work when connected via HDMI. Sometimes you have to swap out the HDMI cable when that happens. It is what it is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the problem may be the type of HDMI cord I have? I thought the main issue may be a compatibility issue between the sound bar and the TV..

I guess I'm confused.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdubls1  /t/1521801/sony-ht-ct100-compatibility-with-other-tvs#post_24494752

So the problem may be the type of HDMI cord I have? I thought the main issue may be a compatibility issue between the sound bar and the TV..

I guess I'm confused.

Well, you know if it's compatible if you connect the two and the A/V signal is clean and all that. If you don't have that going, then there's likely a problem with the HDMI cable or the two devices aren't handshaking - making that digital connection used by HDMI - which means you have to look for a firmware update that fixes the problem. Many HDTVs have firmware updates that don't get installed because people don't look for them and because many TVs don't have network connectivity to automatically download and install them.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've got the CT-100 working like gangbusters with a newer LG television (42LA6200), with the following means of connection: I'm running an optical digital line from the LG set to one of the CT100's optical inputs. The LG ports over the air Dolby Digital to the SONY, and the rest--from and older, stereo satellite box--arrives as 2 channel PCM. I've also turned off HDMI Audio Out on my Blu-ray player and am sending disc audio via an additional digital optical line to the CT-100 (which has greater connectivity than most current bars). Since the 100 cannot decode HD audio codecs anyway, there's nothing to lose with this unit by going with optical digital from Blu-ray; the 100 will decode the core track contained in HD audio formats as DTS or Dolby Digital. Sounds fantastic, and I'm not sure you'd hear the difference with a decoded 7.1 HD track on this equipment anyway.

I haven't tried HDMI or Audio Return Channel functionality with the 100, and I don't know if the latter--ARC--is supported...so I can't speak to its usefulness there or whether the set you have will port 5.1 from your cable or satellite box or disc player. If you do want a bar that can decode the newer HD audio formats, you'll have to look elsewhere (the 660, for example).

I have found that by keeping the Sony's Audio Sync feature turned on, it has completely eliminated an initial micro-delay in my Blu-ray audio via optical digital. Optical Digital or Coaxial Digital audio bypass is necessary with 3D movies with the 100, which does not have 3D pass through. Again, it's worked flawlessly for me.

In a few ways, I actually prefer the sound of the 100 over the generally stellar 660. I think Pro Logic II, which was dropped on the 660, sounds better with 2-channel sources than the proprietary surround on the 660...and the 100's dedicated center channel sometimes produces warmer, less processed sounding dialog/center audio than the simulated center channel of the 2.1, 660 system.

The 100's still totally viable from a general performance standpoint; you just have to know what audio formats and connections you require it to handle. You could always put it to the test; if you can't get it to do what you want, unload it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts