AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while waiting for my next CT500 to get delivered this Monday 8/3/09, I happen to go into my local RC Willey store and saw the new Sony S360 set-up they had.

Decided to check it out and give it a listen,,,,,, I must admit, I was very impressed.

While the S360 is not a soundbar it does share some of the same features as the CT-500,,,, (3 HDMI inputs and a few other things)

Transformers was playing and I sat there for like half the movie listening to the S360,,, and I dont even like the Transformers movie.

Yesterday I go back to the store to have a second look/listen,,, this time the new John Mayer Live BluRay was playing,,, I could not resist,, I bought the Sony S360,, (and the John Mayer BluRay as well).

Anyhow, the new plan,, (different from the old plan were I was just going to keep exchanging CT-500's until I got a problem free one).

The S360 is still in the box and it will stay in the box until Monday when my replacement CT-500 arrives,,,,,,,,,, I'm then un-boxing both Sonys and going to set them up side by side and do my own little personal shoot-out,,,,, I will keep the winner,,,, and also see if there are any problems/issue's with my second CT-500.

And yes, I know it might be unfair to compare a 5.1 system to a 3.1 soundbar but who know's, it will be interestng to see how they do side by side.

Anyhow, just figured I would post this in case anyone out there is on the fence between these two Sony's (as I have been after my first CT500 experience).

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
177 Posts
I own the previous model to the s360, the 2300 and it's a nice little system once you get the settings right. I also had the ct100 in my bedroom, while the ct100 gets the job done, the 2300 sounds much better. davyo i think you'll keep the s360 once you hear them side by side, sound bars are nice and i like my ct100 but in the end 5.1 systems rule.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Davyo, was atthe local BB today and saw the S360 in person. It was onsale and I was close to getting it until I physically saw the unit. The speakers look very cheap! So I decided against getting it...

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceARS /forum/post/16937782

Davyo, was atthe local BB today and saw the S360 in person. It was onsale and I was close to getting it until I physically saw the unit. The speakers look very cheap! So I decided against getting it...

Hey, everyone has there own taste,,,,, personaly I like the looks of the speakers and dont consider them to be cheap looking at all.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the quickie post.

I got everything hooked up last night, the S360 and the CT-500 and only got a chance to listen to everything for a short bit of time,,,,,,,, not enough listening time to give any fair opinions yet.

Tonight I will have much more time to do the little home shoot-out and will post right after that.

Sorry for the delay.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I own the s360 and have it set up to my samsung 50in plasma. Room dimensions are 13x15 and I have the speakers manually calibrated. I cant go above 30 on the master volume as I will blow the rest of the family out of the house
. For a smaller unit(the four suround speakers are smaller, the sub is not), this thing sure packs a wallop!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I read your posts from time to time and I do not mean any insults but you obviously care about HT and music, why on earth do you always phuck around and waste time with all this cheap equipment? does saving a few hundred bucks mean that much in the long run? again, your time and your money but a set of take classics and a cheap avr will totally blow away any of these less expensive box or bar systems in a small area so it makes me go humm. just a thought over morning coffee.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtla /forum/post/16941225

I read your posts from time to time and I do not mean any insults but you obviously care about HT and music, why on earth do you always phuck around and waste time with all this cheap equipment? does saving a few hundred bucks mean that much in the long run? again, your time and your money but a set of take classics and a cheap avr will totally blow away any of these less expensive box or bar systems in a small area so it makes me go humm. just a thought over morning coffee.

Hey Kurtla

No insults taken so it's all good.

The reason I dont buy higher end audio gear is simple, Im an apartment dweller, meaning I have those pesky neighbors to worry about.

Thats why Im always doing soundbars as well, apartment owners tend to get a bit mad when you try to hide wiring inside their walls

I spend my money on mostly flat panels (as can be read about over in the plasma/LCD section's), my last plasma being a 60" Kuro, (currenty own a cheaper Vizio 55 incher) but getting ready to buy the new 65" Panasonic plasma or the new 65" Sharp LCD,,,,,,,, still deciding on that choice.

If I owned a house that would be a different story but to be honest I've never wanted to own a house, affordng a house is not a problem, I just like being able to move as I get bored living in the same place.

Anyhow, thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16943470

Hey Kurtla

No insults taken so it's all good.

The reason I dont buy higher end audio gear is simple, Im an apartment dweller, meaning I have those pesky neighbors to worry about.

Thats why Im always doing soundbars as well, apartment owners tend to get a bit mad when you try to hide wiring inside their walls

I spend my money on mostly flat panels (as can be read about over in the plasma/LCD section's), my last plasma being a 60" Kuro, (currenty own a cheaper Vizio 55 incher) but getting ready to buy the new 65" Panasonic plasma or the new 65" Sharp LCD,,,,,,,, still deciding on that choice.

If I owned a house that would be a different story but to be honest I've never wanted to own a house, affordng a house is not a problem, I just like being able to move as I get bored living in the same place.

Anyhow, thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

Cheers

Davyo

good story and I get your logic. re the panel, my vote is for he panny, I have a TH-50PZ85U and I love that thing. love plasma.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok,, here is my quickie review and shoot-out results.

The GOOD NEWS,,,, it would seem I got a problem free CT-500 from Crutchfield.

The bad new's,,,,, Im not keeping it.

In my side by side comparison the S360 was in "my" opinion the clear winner.

As a matter of fact I am amazed that this system sounds as good/great as it does,,, and for under $300.00 on Amazon,,, thats the other amazing part.

The S360 is basicly the same menu as the CT-500,, with-out the on screen menu's and that really SUCKS that Sony did not do the on screen menu's with the S360 as the tiny little read-out on the amp is kind of a ***** see read unless your standing right in front of it.

But thats about the only negitive thing I can say about the S-360, the rest is all good.

Movie's via my BluRay player look and sound fantastic, the sound really does seem like it's coming from a system that cost's at least twice as much.

Music, I saw a few bad comments online about music thru the S360,, I have no idea what they were listening to,,,, I played the new John Mayer BluRay on the S360 and me and the girlfriend of that night felt like we had just been to the concert.

On a side note, the John Mayer BluRay is really great, alot of people think he just does the sappy crappy love song stuff, not the case, his guitar playing is off the hook,,,, if Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Von were still alive, turned gay, and had a child, it would be John Mayer.

Back to the S360 vs the CT-500 stuff,,,,, I still think the CT-500 is a great soundbar but in the end the S360 beat it out,,,, my opinion,, for my needs.

The S360 is not a system that I would say to use in a big room, but for a small to average sized living room it has no problem doing what its made to do.

As far as the bass, I saw a few comments that said the bass was weak and bitching about it being a passive sub,,, again,, I have no idea what system they were listening to,,the S360 has plenty of bass and after some minor tweeking the whole set-up sounds very impressive.

One thing I will agree on is the comments that were made about too much bass after running the auto calibration,,,, yes, that is true,,, after running the auto calibration just go back in the menu and back the bass off a bit.

Anyhow, for me, the reasons I like the S360,, easy to set-up, adjust and user friendly, very inexpensive, small and compact.

It also does great at low volume and thats really important since I is an apartment dweller and dont wish to piss of the neighbors at 3 am.

The system itself is very sleek looking,, I even think the speakers look cool (have to dis-agree with the poster that said the speakers look cheap, I dont think they look cheap in any way at all).

Ohhhh,, yea, besides being pissed there is no on screen menu, there is only one other thing I was not happy about,,, the speaker wires are to short,, in most install case's I think you will have to get out the extra speaker wire, the left and right wires are only 10' long, back wires 30'.

If anyone in the Vegas area needs a problem free CT-500 contact me quick before I ship it back to Crutchfield for a refund.

Ok, thats all I can think of for now,,,gota go start running speaker wires and do a nice clean install of the S360.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16946113

As a matter of fact I am amazed that this system sounds as good/great as it does,,, and for under $300.00 on Amazon,,, thats the other amazing part.

The S360 is basicly the same menu as the CT-500,, with-out the on screen menu's and that really SUCKS that Sony did not do the on screen menu's with the S360 as the tiny little read-out on the amp is kind of a ***** see read unless your standing right in front of it.

But thats about the only negitive thing I can say about the S-360, the rest is all good.

Movie's via my BluRay player look and sound fantastic, the sound really does seem like it's coming from a system that cost's at least twice as much.

Music, I saw a few bad comments online about music thru the S360,, I have no idea what they were listening to,,,, I played the new John Mayer BluRay on the S360 and me and the girlfriend of that night felt like we had just been to the concert.

On a side note, the John Mayer BluRay is really great, alot of people think he just does the sappy crappy love song stuff, not the case, his guitar playing is off the hook,,,, if Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Von were still alive, turned gay, and had a child, it would be John Mayer.

Back to the S360 vs the CT-500 stuff,,,,, I still think the CT-500 is a great soundbar but in the end the S360 beat it out,,,, my opinion,, for my needs.

The S360 is not a system that I would say to use in a big room, but for a small to average sized living room it has no problem doing what its made to do.

As far as the bass, I saw a few comments that said the bass was weak and bitching about it being a passive sub,,, again,, I have no idea what system they were listening to,,the S360 has plenty of bass and after some minor tweeking the whole set-up sounds very impressive.

One thing I will agree on is the comments that were made about too much bass after running the auto calibration,,,, yes, that is true,,, after running the auto calibration just go back in the menu and back the bass off a bit.

Anyhow, for me, the reasons I like the S360,, easy to set-up, adjust and user friendly, very inexpensive, small and compact.

It also does great at low volume and thats really important since I is an apartment dweller and dont wish to piss of the neighbors at 3 am.

The system itself is very sleek looking,, I even think the speakers look cool (have to dis-agree with the poster that said the speakers look cheap, I dont think they look cheap in any way at all).

Ohhhh,, yea, besides being pissed there is no on screen menu, there is only one other thing I was not happy about,,, the speaker wires are to short,, in most install case's I think you will have to get out the extra speaker wire, the left and right wires are only 10' long, back wires 30'.

If anyone in the Vegas area needs a problem free CT-500 contact me quick before I ship it back to Crutchfield for a refund.

Ok, thats all I can think of for now,,,gota go start running speaker wires and do a nice clean install of the S360.

Cheers

Davyo

Great shootout Davyo! It sounds like in the end you got a better sounding setup and saved some cash on top of that

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayblue /forum/post/16946163

Dayvo,

I'm curious... how do they compare if you don't hook up the S360's rear speakers?

Thanks.

Very good question as that would give someone on the fence about the CT500 (or looking to save a couple hundred) another option if it sounds good. I recently went back to a 3.0 soundbar with a subwoofer which I should have setup tonight. I am done with surroundbar's as a good 3.0 speaker bar or 3.0 separates should sound better any day of the week. The S360 sounds like a steal though considering how cheap it is.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16946113

Cheers

Davyo

Davyo,

Excellent comparison. Almost makes me want to pick up the S360 eventhough I don't like the look of the speakers. Can we hide them inside the shell of a floor speaker?
Since you don't recommend the S360 in a larger room, I guess I will have to pass on it. Thanks again for the reviews!

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceARS /forum/post/16946488

Davyo,

Excellent comparison. Almost makes me want to pick up the S360 eventhough I don't like the look of the speakers. Can we hide them inside the shell of a floor speaker?
Since you don't recommend the S360 in a larger room, I guess I will have to pass on it. Thanks again for the reviews!

Perhaps I should say that my idea of a larger room might be different from your idea of a larger room, for me, when I think larger room I guess I have in mind like a game room with a pool table and a shuffleboard table,, I have a friend with a big game room so thats what I think of as big.

So I guess I should re-phase big room,,, to say really big room,,,, but then again my statement of how big a room the S360 could work in is really only a guess,,,,my living room is 16' by 13',,, to me, that is a small room,, while to others that might be concidered a big to average sized room.

As far as the speakers, the system is so cheap you could always buy it and just use different speakers.

I think there is a post on the S360 thread that someone mentioned they did that (used different speakers) and they were very happy with the results.

Cheers

Davyo

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for the great side by side comparison davyo. It's not everyday we can get a 'shootout' from one of the posters here. We will usually do a lot of research online, make a decision and purchase one unit and then review it. You, my friend had the rare opportunity, through bad luck
of having to return a defective unit and in the interim picked up another!

I am glad you did this as I own the s360 and love it. It really is the 'little' system that sounds BIG. Before I purchased this I was looking at sound bars, but in the end I just couldn't believe that a unit that produces a 'virtual' surround sound would ever be better than a true 5.1 surround sound unit. I just hoped that the cheaper price of the s360 wouldn't mean a 'cheap' system. Well, now you are testament to the quality of this thing, and I now know that I made the right decision. Thanks davyo.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/16946862

Perhaps I should say that my idea of a larger room might be different from your idea of a larger room, for me, when I think larger room I guess I have in mind like a game room with a pool table and a shuffleboard table,, I have a friend with a big game room so thats what I think of as big.

So I guess I should re-phase big room,,, to say really big room,,,, but then again my statement of how big a room the S360 could work in is really only a guess,,,,my living room is 16' by 13',,, to me, that is a small room,, while to others that might be concidered a big to average sized room.

As far as the speakers, the system is so cheap you could always buy it and just use different speakers.

I think there is a post on the S360 thread that someone mentioned they did that (used different speakers) and they were very happy with the results.

Cheers

Davyo

Davyo, thanks for the clarification. We have a loft, so our living area is entirely wide open. However, we can always angle the speakers to "concentrate" their sound in our particular area. Thanks to your review, I may need to re-think purchasing the S360. It's currently not on sale anymore, but might be in a month.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts