AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here, if anything. I got this thing today and I'm not very impressed. It goes up to 60 on the volume meter and I have to turn it up to at least 35 to hear anything. 45-50 is equal to 12 on my 51" Hitachi 51F510. At 50 it starts crackling.

These are the configurations I've tried:

DTV RCA HD Receiver, Component audio/video to the TV. RCA Audio out to the Sont receiver. Result - see above.

DTV RCA HD Receiver, Component audio/video to the TV. TV Audio on Monitor out back to the Sony. Nothing, no sound at all. (TV manaul notes some thing about copy protect when using component and the monitor out).

Tried the same configuration form my DTV Tivo. Same result as the first round. Hard to hear.

DTV Tivo RCA direct to the Sony. Same thing.

DVD Player, component to TV, RCA audio to Sony. Same thing

DVD Player RCA to Sony - same

DVD Player digital coax to Sony - same deal.

I've played with the settings on each device and seen no noticable difference in sound.

Setting the receiver to FM it's louder, but still seems way too low. At 25-30 you can begin to hear it, and 40 it sounds "normal".

Any idea? Is this normal for this rig? Might it be a bum unit?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
This player actually got a very nice write up on CNET. It should provide good performance (at least).

I'd start by pressing "test tone" on the remote, this will bring up your speaker level menu... adjust each individual speaker UP... as loud as it will go... then press test tone to exit.

See if this helps, and report back.

I'd connect the audio from DVD player and the HD receiver to the Sony via digital inputs. Connect video and remaining audio inputs directly to TV.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I made a few comments in the post below this. I personally feel its the ultra thin wiring that they pack with it for the speakers. I changed it to 14 gauge Ultralink generic wire and its extremely loud now. I use to watch movies on 50 also but after the new wires I can easily watch on 35. I don't even think the 18 gauge they ship with it is "good 18 gauge " since the ultralink 18 has considerably thicker shielding. Try buying 50' of generic 14 or 12 gauge wire ( shouldn't be more than $20 ) and try that. Or buy 5 feet of it just for the center and see if it makes it any louder.

Also I know this is considered snake oil by some but after I bought a Surge Protector with built in Filters for EMI/RFI noise up to 75 dB reduction I swear the sound became much crisper with less distortion. Maybe I wanted to hear and improvement but I know for one thing I can turn the Compression to standard from maximum now. At a volume of 50 with standard compression I use to get distortion when loud sounds were close to the screen ( like the bullets passing by in Matrix ), after new wires and filter I can watch it with no distortion. Maybe for most people filters wont work , but this Sony amp isn't exactly a "top end" item and it does have a listed THD of 10% .... Who knows maybe it cleans it up a bit.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have the HT-DDW650. I have the same problem. I have to crank it to 50 to get the right sound I want out of the DVD player. I do have two heavy duty speaker wires running to two speakers. But then I have the stock ones running to the rest. I need to drill some more holes in the floor, because the wires are too thick for the hole I have.

Good ideas though....Thanks

EDIT: I don't want to move the heavy ass TV again to drill the holes.:(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.