Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought a Sony HT-DDW660 and attached it to DVD player using provided coaxial digital cable.

1) Is this cable good enough or i need to buy good digital cable for this?

also i am attach it to cable box using optical digital cable and set it to AFD mode so that system should choose automatically

2) Is the AFD mode is good enough or i need to change to different type based on the program manually?

3) Do i need to change the speaker wiring or sub woofer wiring or it is good enough for this small size home theater?

4) What are the other good receommended settings for this player?

I am asking many questions but manual is not enough so i need the experts advice?

Thanks

--rubs

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
1) if the provided coaxial cable works, it's good enough.

2) if the "AFD mode" works, it too is good enough.

3) if the wires are the typical very thin type provided with many HTiBs, then you should consider replacing it. You can get speaker wire of decent gauge (14 or 16 should be fine) at your local Home Depot type store, and it is not expensive.

4) I have no experience with your HTiB, so I couldn't make any setup recommendations.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would also like to know a few things about the receiver that comes with this HTiB, I sent this email to Sony today. I need to use this receiver for a few months untill I upgrade to my Yamaha HTRS5730

Quote:
I have a pretty generic question about the STR-K660P receiver that comes with my HTiB. It says if your SS speakers are under 30 degrees from your listening position, to set them to "low". If they are in the 30 - 60 degree field set them to "high" , what exactly does this do? Is setting them to low the same as setting a speaker to "small" and setting it to "high" the same as "large"? I.E. High = All signal sent to speaker and Low = base redirected to Sub at 80hz?

This is important to me because I am connecting my home stereo speakers to the receiver and wish to know if I can set the Surround Sound speakers to "small" so all base gets redirected to the Sub. This way I can use smaller Surrounds.

Thank you

Thanks for any help

Brak

Oh and to rubs, wiring made a huge difference to the sound. The speakers come with 50' of 18 gauge wire which I think is to thin for the length. Since I had already upgraded the CC speaker with a Quest Qc5 from Questhifi.com I decided to buy 200' of Ultralink 14 gauge that my local store had on sale. I hooked the new wire up to the small Sony speakers and sub that came with the unit and the sound was like night and day. I'm not sure if it was the fact I went from 50' to 10' of wire or the fact it was a much thicker wire that made the difference. For one thing that little sub really pumps out the base when you splice in 10' of 14 gauge instead of the 50' of 18.

The good thing about the unit is you don't have to stick to the speakers that came with it. Slowly over the past 4 months I have bought a CC , 2 x QT66 Towers and 2 x QB6 surrounds. They all hook up easily to the Receiver and sound semi decent even though its not the most impressive unit for THD and clean power.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot..I will check in CC or home depot what are the wires they are selling for 14 or 16 gauge and check the difference

Also how can we change the speaker to small and sub woofer to low, i am not able to find the setting?

Thanks

--rubs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rubs

Also how can we change the speaker to small and sub woofer to low, i am not able to find the setting?

Thanks

--rubs

I don't think you can on this receiver. It says in the manual the LFE circuit is always active so I think the speakers are locked to Small. Considering the satellites are so small I guess this is there way to make sure it sounds the best. Judging by the lack of base in my towers I think it must be set to 80 -100hz, this really isn't a bad thing since that little sub definitely pumps out good base with better wire spliced into it.

Now if I can only figure out what this High - Low setting is for the surrounds. They seem to sound exactly the same regardless of the setting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.