AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya,

Before I plunk my hard earned cash down on one of the Sony HT-SF2000 or 2300's, I wanted to make sure that it's not a mistake - so here I am.

I will be using a PS3 as my bluray source, and a 40" 720p Samsung. One requirement is that the rears must be towers.

I don't have a huge living room, and I won't be cranking the system hard at all, so power isn't really an issue for me.

I'm also not a total audiophile, however I do want decent value for my money.

At the HTSF price point of $599-$699, am I getting an ok value?

Whenever I look at mixing and matching components, I seem to always get to the $1000 mark easily, which is bit too much.

Given my situation, do you think it's the right unit for me? Any alternatives?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up - I went to the Sony store yesterday and they had the brand new HTSF2300 for $599, but hadn't even set up a demo yet. The HTSF2000 was $449 and they had it set up, however the sales guys were talking about how horrible it was... so we went to listen to it and they were right. The center channel sounded very hollow, and voices sounded like they were sort of coming through a tin can.

It's possible that they had it configured improperly, or someone had blown the center channel though, so I would still LOVE to hear from someone who actually owns the HTSF2000.

I asked what the differences between the two models were, and they didn't know... they looked it up on the computer and that wasn't helping them either. They then just said that it was constructed better, because the first model was 'thrown together'.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i'm leaning towards getting the sony htsf2300 for myself to run with my kdl-46z4100 and 80gb ps3. i heard it at the sonystyle store and it sounded amazing! the sales person had a htsf2000 open box but did not recommend getting it for the horrible sound quality.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know this is an older thread however am wondering if anyone else has good or bad experiences with this unit?

I have been looking at it due to price and the fact I do not have a large room so no need for a 7.1 setup as the room is only 13x19.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey Mike, I have had mine for a couple weeks now. It is pretty decent sounding system, however I do recommend replacing the center channel. I just got a used one on craigslist for cheap and it sounds much better than the stock one. All in all, if it was only a $100-200 more to get a mismatched setup that still had the HDMI 1.3 technology I would probably choose that over this system. It just doesnt have the oomph that I think a home theater should have. I still love it, I am just a bit undecided at this point if its a keeper.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 /forum/post/15958024

Hey Mike, I have had mine for a couple weeks now. It is pretty decent sounding system, however I do recommend replacing the center channel. I just got a used one on craigslist for cheap and it sounds much better than the stock one. All in all, if it was only a $100-200 more to get a mismatched setup that still had the HDMI 1.3 technology I would probably choose that over this system. It just doesnt have the oomph that I think a home theater should have. I still love it, I am just a bit undecided at this point if its a keeper.

Thanks a lot, appreciate the input! I have read some similar reviews about the center channel being not the greatest. I think for the price I am going to pick it up and see how it works I do really like the idea of the receiver being a much smaller size, right now I am using an old school Sony with horrible speakers running a nice Samsung 52 inch LCD so anything is better compared to what I am using.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ya, definately pick it up. It takes a little bit to set up but it looks nice and neat. Thats probably why I dont want to return it.. take to long to pack it back up heh. Give it a shot and let me know how you like it. I am curious to know how you set yours up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well turns out not many places have this in stock in Ontario Canada...however I found a place and my girlfriends parents are picking it up for me from Windsor on Friday for me as they are coming to visit! So will be able to get it setup and play some Killzone 2 and watch Dark Knight with the new setup...I will post up my impressions after that.

Thanks again

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got it all hooked up this weekend, have to say for the price I am very impressed with the sound quality! I did the auto cal and I find the bass to be a little high so am going to fine tune everything this weekend but overall very happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by apex82 /forum/post/16067588

Nice man. I have my bass always at 8-10 unless gf is sleeping...

Ha ha I do the same thing, was playing Killzone last weekend and I turned the bass right down to not wake her up haha.

Thanks again for the little help, really glad I picked this unit up!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I got the SF2300... sounds good... wish it had a powered sub though.

anyways, I am having issues with SYNCING my digital (SD) cable box with the sound..

the sound does not match the lips... I have it hooked up through Component and audio through digital coaxial

anything i can do to fix this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts