AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noobie looking to enter the fray.

Hey all, first let me explain my setup which actually isn't much of a set up at all. I have a 42 inch "EDTV" (ugh) that was bought years ago and though it has been quite the anchor it isn't quite the same as a normal HDTV set. I also have an old Panasonic HTIB which is lets just say pretty bad. I'd like to add that my TV is a Sylvania 42 inch EDTV with no HDMI slots.

Anyway I have only enough money for one upgrade. That is to put money towards a new TV or a HT system and I've chosen the latter. I will probably end up getting a new TV but that is months from now.

I've read alot of posts on what to get but as a noobie get quite confused. It looks like I'm stuck a crossroads of 4.

2 main contenders:

-Sony HT-SS2300 (350 shipped from Amazon)

-Onkyo HT-S4100 5.1 (400 shipped from Amazon. Goes down to 300 if you chose the silver color which seems odd to me. Something else me different though I wouldn't know. Circuit City also has it for 350 after tax and free shipping)

2 outside shots

- Onkyo HT-S5100 (500/400 Black/Sliver shipped from Amazon. This would be pushing my budget but unless the sound is really a GIANT LEAP from the Sony or 4100 I guess I wouldn't have a choice. The 7.1 setup also would seem like a problem to me. I'm not sure the two side speakers added in a 7.1 would be practical for the room this set up would go in.)

-Sony HT-CT100 (270 shipped from Amazon. This one actually confuses me as I understand its concept being a long bar with a L, C, and R speaker but would I need to be buy a separate receiver with the system?)

Ok so those are my likely options and would love for someone to push me into the right direction. If I'm missing another HTIB at the price range feel free to suggest.

-Alfred

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would go with the Onkyo 4100. I have the 3100 and am more than pleased with the sound quality. Im not shure what you get going from the 3100 to the 4100 other than an ipod dock so if your dont really need this I wouldnt bother spending an extra 100$ just for that. The system once set up right sounds awesome for me in my bedroom its perfect.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Grenada /forum/post/15441092

-Sony HT-CT100 (270 shipped from Amazon. This one actually confuses me as I understand its concept being a long bar with a L, C, and R speaker but would I need to be buy a separate receiver with the system?)

-Alfred

The CT100 has a receiver already INCLUDED with the SUBWOOFER that comes along with the CT100 soundbar. So no, you don't need a separate receiver, which means you will be spending a WHOLE lot less than you though eh
!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
JMO but I'd go with the HT-SS2300. It has it all over both of the Onkyo's with respect to audio via an HDMI connection including PCM decoded from TrueHD/DTS-MA inside a Bluray player. The SS2300 has these features; the Onkyo's don't (they require a separate digital audio cable for each HDMI source you connect). Another Sony 5.1 system you might consider is the HT-7200DH. It has the same audio features as the 2300 and comes with a receiver that uses normal, non-proprietary speaker connections (allows easy speaker upgrades later on). Like I said, JMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Add another vote for the 2300. It is AWESOME. Hooked it up and I cannot stop watching movies. The features it has are excellent, it looks sexy, and the sound is just great. I love how all the speakers are adjustable. The auto-calibration feature works great as well. More bang for the buck than Onkyo for sure.

i wouldnt get the CT100. sounds like a rip off

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.