AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Now looking forward to a full performance review. Better be great for $1,499.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Anyone own this and care to comment on performance? I'm torn between this, the Yamaha 5600 or a 3.1 system. Due to size constraints and the WAF this is my best option. I'm told the 5600 is better and obviously 3.1 will blow both away. Surround is not going to happen and the 5600 doesn't currently fit my stand. Neither does the Center Channel I've chosen for a 3.1 setup.

Main objective is clear dialogue at night when all are a sleep and I want to catch up on my shows. Yet able to enjoy movies like Star Wars and enjoy my Sundays watching Football with all the affects of the crowd and hard hits. Not going to be used for playing music but that's always an option. The key is movies, sports and nighttime dialogue that won't bother neighbors or family. I've seen some mixed reviews and this is pricy.

Must have a minimum of two HDCP 2.2 HDMI pass through inputs so I can play 4K.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Anyone own this and care to comment on performance? I'm torn between this, the Yamaha 5600 or a 3.1 system. Due to size constraints and the WAF this is my best option. I'm told the 5600 is better and obviously 3.1 will blow both away. Surround is not going to happen and the 5600 doesn't currently fit my stand. Neither does the Center Channel I've chosen for a 3.1 setup.

Main objective is clear dialogue at night when all are a sleep and I want to catch up on my shows. Yet able to enjoy movies like Star Wars and enjoy my Sundays watching Football with all the affects of the crowd and hard hits. Not going to be used for playing music but that's always an option. The key is movies, sports and nighttime dialogue that won't bother neighbors or family. I've seen some mixed reviews and this is pricy.
I had wanted the Sony but read too many negative reviews and experiences. We went with the Bose SoundTouch 130. I recently wrote about it for a member wanting our opinion. Here's what I had to say.

"Setup was quite easy thanks to clear and thorough instructions. The soundbar is very attractive a breeze to connect. I took my time so that helped. It is important to try to place the Acoustimass (sub/mid tones) along a wall. This was a big problem for us. It is actually behind all of our AV tucked in beside the wall. At this time I do not have the 130's Wi-Fi connected but plan to activate it soon so the 13 can receive software updates. I connected our DirecTV and Blu-Ray to the 130 via HDMI then connected the 130 to HDMI input 1 of our HDTV. After all hardware was connected audio calibratation was so easy thanks to Bose's audio driven process. All audio, whether it is standard up to DD 5.1 is great. Especially Blu-Ray. Great base, mid range, vocals, music, special effects. It is all great. We run the 130 with vocal enhancement (whatever it is called). Bass is elavated to about 50 to 60 (bar graph) due to our Acoustimass' odd placement. The main module which operates everything is a very good component especially with its small yet very sharp video screen. This screen displays connectivity status, volume, current audio field and setup menu. Using the full featured 130's remote (not backlit) you can easily go through all setup and adjustment features using your remote and main module. All of 130's components are well built, solid and attractive. Everything needed to get up and running is included. Note: the Acoustimass is wireless except for its power cord. We run three other Wi-Fi devices so I ordered the 130's audio cable to ensure there is no Wi-Fi signal interference. Btw, before receiving the option cable the Acoustimass operated flawlessly.

All in all we are extremely impressed by the 130 and hardly give it our recommendation."

Here is a link to Best Buy's info on the Bose SoundTouch 130.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-so...em-black/4310303.p?id=bb4310303&skuId=4310303

Reactions: GARRIGA

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had wanted the Sony but read too many negative reviews and experiences. We went with the Bose SoundTouch 130. I recently wrote about it for a member wanting our opinion. Here's what I had to say.

"Setup was quite easy thanks to clear and thorough instructions. The soundbar is very attractive a breeze to connect. I took my time so that helped. It is important to try to place the Acoustimass (sub/mid tones) along a wall. This was a big problem for us. It is actually behind all of our AV tucked in beside the wall. At this time I do not have the 130's Wi-Fi connected but plan to activate it soon so the 13 can receive software updates. I connected our DirecTV and Blu-Ray to the 130 via HDMI then connected the 130 to HDMI input 1 of our HDTV. After all hardware was connected audio calibratation was so easy thanks to Bose's audio driven process. All audio, whether it is standard up to DD 5.1 is great. Especially Blu-Ray. Great base, mid range, vocals, music, special effects. It is all great. We run the 130 with vocal enhancement (whatever it is called). Bass is elavated to about 50 to 60 (bar graph) due to our Acoustimass' odd placement. The main module which operates everything is a very good component especially with its small yet very sharp video screen. This screen displays connectivity status, volume, current audio field and setup menu. Using the full featured 130's remote (not backlit) you can easily go through all setup and adjustment features using your remote and main module. All of 130's components are well built, solid and attractive. Everything needed to get up and running is included. Note: the Acoustimass is wireless except for its power cord. We run three other Wi-Fi devices so I ordered the 130's audio cable to ensure there is no Wi-Fi signal interference. Btw, before receiving the option cable the Acoustimass operated flawlessly.

All in all we are extremely impressed by the 130 and hardly give it our recommendation."

Here is a link to Best Buy's info on the Bose SoundTouch 130.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-so...em-black/4310303.p?id=bb4310303&skuId=4310303
Although that looks like a good option I don't think it accepts HDCP 2.2 and I have a 4K TV.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Although that looks like a good option I don't think it accepts HDCP 2.2 and I have a 4K TV.
I have the "little brother" ST7 and got it as a stopgap while I was building out and wiring my basement. Pretty sure the subwoofer is the same but the main bar is slightly larger on the ST9 with slightly large drivers and a little more power. Feature wise they are identical. The unit is nice and served my purpose but keep in mind that how well it performs from a surround standpoint will be largely dependent upon room characteristics. The sub is a bit weak and can be boomy but overall the thing can get fairly loud. Mine has now been sitting in the box after using it lightly for about 3 months. I've been debating selling it or putting it in my bedroom as it is going to waste right now.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
No it doesn't yet Bose addressed this very same question some months back. Here is what Bose had to say.

"This system is HDMI 1.4 (with ARC on TV connection & CEC) and is perfectly compatible with 4K. There is not a specific HDCP version published but that should not be any factor for connectivity.
We are concerned that you may have been given misinformation from another source and would love to clarify if you have other questions.
We'd like to find out more about your specific set up and components and would encourage you to call us when you are home. You can reach us at (800)367-4008. We are open Mon-Fri from 8:30 AM to 9:00 PM EST and Sat from 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM."

Best luck to you GARRIGA. If you do get the Sony please post a review.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts