AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a HW10 and noticed that there are very fine scratches on the interior lenses when the projector is displaying some light.

In the photo below the speckles on the front of the lens are normal (just dust etc) but those fine scratch like lines are actually on the interior lens(es) of the lens block (i think).

Now, it might just be a byproduct of the manufacturing process - as I'm doubting it would have any major impact on the picture - but I thought I'd ask if anyone sees the same thing.

(noting that with the projector off the lenses all look crystal clear)

P.S. I've confirmed with another HW10 owner that their unit exhibits the same issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've now received reports of these imperfections from a couple of different countries meaning it wasn't probably a batch related issue.

What's concerning is that all the other projectors I've ever owned had a crystal clear light path out of the box - it's pretty disappointing if this is a manufacturing byproduct with Sony taking the view; "It's good enough"

·
Banned
8,614 Posts
Please clarify what impact your are observing on the projected image.

The HW10 does not have a medical grade ground & polished glass lens, but then again it's doesn't need one and you wouldn't have wanted to pay for one.

I see the polishing marks in my HW10 lens as well and IMHO it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not saying it's a huge issue - Simply garnering the views of members as to whether it should be an issue.

In the past the Panasonic AE's I own don't seem to have this -

If you say it's a non-issue, then that's good enough for me.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snocrash /forum/post/15427603

In the past the Panasonic AE's I own don't seem to have this -

I would guess you haven't looked at the right one then because the 700 I own exhibits said "issues" - note the quotes.

Ever tried shining a light through a mediocre to average SLR lens? You might get an idea of why good glass costs so much and why better glass pjs are so costly.

all in all it ain't apparent on the screen I would bet.

ted

·
Registered
866 Posts
You will not see the scratch (even an obvious one) in the projected image because it is well outside the depth of field of the lens. What the scratches will impact is the ANSI contrast (same as if the lens was dusty). As to how much of an impact, it's hard to say - you'd have to have a pristine lens to make a proper comparison.. My guess (based on some 35mm SLR experience) is probably very little image degradation, but does the lens look really beat up (i.e. you can see it straight on in normal room lighting), or do you have to make a special effort (shine a light directly into it) to see it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shining a reasonably bright light into the projector while its off and the lens looks very clean - I guess its just when you have 200W of light being funnelled through such a small aperture shows up even the slightest imperfections.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I notice this on mine as well. (Live in Australia)

I haven't found it degrades the picture at all and thought the less I stared at it, the less it will bother me

I do notice that staring at the text on screen, it seems to go slightly in and out of focus. It makes you want to squint all the time. My brother in-law felt the same. Any ideas on this one????

Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.