AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Finally have enough to hopefully get my projector this month and was looking forward to becoming part of the club :) I was looking at the HW40ES which will be mounted in the back of my livingroom. Upstairs, my desktop will be directly above it in the bedroom. The receiver is in the front of the livingroom. I was planning on buying a redmere HDMI cable to go from the receiver to projector. But I would also like to hook my pc up in this setup. If I ran the PC to receiver that would be 25 ft roughly. It would also be 25 ft from the receiver to the projector. The projector and PC are approximately 5 ft apart. If I plug HDMI into the projector directly from the PC I will have video, but no sound. I was wondering what would be the best way to hook up my PC to the projector either through the receiver or not. In order to have video and sound.
1. does the ARC on the redmere help at all in this situation to get sound back to the receiver(ie pc to projector direct)?
2a. Will having a 25 ft HDMI to the receiver then 25 ft ( redmere HDMI) from the receiver to projector diminish the signal?
2b. would having the pc connected to the receiver via redmere and then the projector connected to the receiver

I appreciate all the insightful knowledge you all can bestow upon me! Having this set up will be a dream come true.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You should be fine with connecting the PC and Projector to receiver. If you want to be safe use a redmere from PC to Receiver and another redmere from receiver to projector.

You wont have any surround if you bypass your receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
using 2 redmere in one setup (within that loop at that) won't be an issue? I asked the guy at monoprice about putting 2 redmere in a loop like that and he said it wouldn't work. I trust the people on AVS MUCH more, but want to double check before I throw another 30-40 dollars on another redmere. Thank you for the reply though. Looking forward to getting this up and running.

·
Registered
194 Posts
using 2 redmere in one setup (within that loop at that) won't be an issue? I asked the guy at monoprice about putting 2 redmere in a loop like that and he said it wouldn't work. I trust the people on AVS MUCH more, but want to double check before I throw another 30-40 dollars on another redmere. Thank you for the reply though. Looking forward to getting this up and running.
Well, I cant say with 100%. But its not really a loop. You dont need any sort of audio return, so your source (PC) will feed all data in one direction to your AVR. Your AVR will then take that data and feed it in one direction to your projector. To me it seems like it should be no issue. Hopefully someone will confirm my statement that has two redmere cables connected a similar way.

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
1. does the ARC on the redmere help at all in this situation to get sound back to the receiver(ie pc to projector direct)?
No, the projector needs to support ARC, and you would need CEC turned on, which really sucks, and ARC isn't a reliable connection for audio.

2a. Will having a 25 ft HDMI to the receiver then 25 ft ( redmere HDMI) from the receiver to projector diminish the signal?
Not at all. This should work just fine.

2b. would having the pc connected to the receiver via redmere and then the projector connected to the receiver
Isn't that what you just said? Anyway, no. PC to receiver is one connection. Receiver to projector is a completely separate connection.

Now my two cents (feel free to ignore).

High speed HDMI is rated to 1080p at lengths of up to 25' and typically have no issues beyond that length. So, why use Redmere? You do NOT get a more reliable signal at 25' from Redmere, and the cables are not that much thinner. More importantly, Redmere uses active electronics which have been known to fail. I avoid Redmere on all but the most straightforward installations.

I would use this:
http://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-C...qid=1430772352&sr=8-4&keywords=30'+hdmi+cable

It's half the price and has over 1,000 reviews with a 5 star rating. Seriously, why spend more and not get more from it?

Also, how easy is this cable run you intend to do? If this is behind drywall, are you just planning on running a cable and hoping it works for the next 20 years? If this cable run isn't easy, and it isn't easy to replace cables, then make sure to run ALL the cabling you need. This means at least two HDMI cables and two cat-6 cables. This isn't a guarantee, but considering that drywall can take hours to fix/paint, or cost a lot to have someone else take care of, running more cables now is the only way to do things and have some peace of mind.

Definitely run that HDMI from your PC to the A/V receiver.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'd listen to AV_integrated's adviCe.

i have a 30ft run of regular HDMI Cable from my PS3 to my hw40es.. don't see any issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for the advice. That was really helpful. One other question. Does the total distance make any difference in regard to reliability With passive high speed hdmi? for example the fact that it's 2 25 ft runs (25 from pc to avr then 25 from avr to pj) does the avr effectively refresh the signal in terms of power/resistance Vs one 50 ft run? I apologize if I'm butchering the explanation/ terms. Just want to learn as much as I can. I definitely will run the extra cat 6s though. I saw that in another thread as well. Would it be very difficult to try and install a soft rubber conduit behind the wall from a basement? I know it's kind of off topic but I appreciate any input

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
thank you all for the advice. That was really helpful. One other question. Does the total distance make any difference in regard to reliability With passive high speed hdmi? for example the fact that it's 2 25 ft runs (25 from pc to avr then 25 from avr to pj) does the avr effectively refresh the signal in terms of power/resistance Vs one 50 ft run? I apologize if I'm butchering the explanation/ terms. Just want to learn as much as I can. I definitely will run the extra cat 6s though. I saw that in another thread as well. Would it be very difficult to try and install a soft rubber conduit behind the wall from a basement? I know it's kind of off topic but I appreciate any input
A/V receivers typically restore and reclock the HDMI signals. I'm unaware of ANY HDMI A/V receivers that are current, and halfway decent, which don't reclock and restore the HDMI signals.

For what it's worth, I run HDMI over HDBaseT about 50 feet from my family room equipment rack. Wait, 6' HDMI cable, HDBT transmitter, 50' cat-5e (not cat6), HDBT receiver, 6' HDMI cable, Denon A/V receiver, 50' Monoprice HDMI cable back to the TV. Zero (and I mean zero) issues.

Don't expect issues.

Soft rubber conduit likely won't be in-wall rated. In an existing wall, it may be very difficult to run any conduit at all, but it depends on the pathway and how much the walls are opened up to allow for this. Carlon Resi-gard 1.25" conduit is the minimum size I would ever recommend with a 'gentle' bend radius to ensure any new cables may run through it cleanly. I run conduit everywhere I can, but at the moment have an unfinished basement and wide open pathways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts