AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
It's been 14 years since I bought my trusty $3500 Sony VPL-HS20 720P LCD Projector. I had it installed in my room, when I was a novice. The lens is 14 feet from the stewart Greyhawk 92" diag screen. Alas, It finally died with about only 2000 hours and I'm forced to get another for my room.

I was thinking of a direct replacement (location) Sony HW45es and go only 1080P in a lightly used room, and I'm certain that it will be light years better than my 14 year old projector, at about half the 2004 price. 4k Sony is not in the cards in this house, since we may move in about 3-4- years and I'm not sure I want to blow that kind of cash.

My questions are in reading the throw distance calculator in the projectorcentral.com website. Plugging each of the values from the old to the new prospect, it looks like it should work, but I'll be near the end of the zoom. Is that going to be a problem? what happens to the picture at the ends of the zoom, will the brightness be acceptable in a totally light controlled room? too dim? too bright?

I think a perfect plan would be to move the projector up about 2 feet closer to the screen, but that's going to take a lot of effort since it's a tight tolerance in my ceiling that I'm not sure I want to reroute power, HDMI cable etc..

Do you think I can use the new projector using these values? 92"diag, 80" wide, 45' high, 14 Ft throw...

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Pete

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
@pete6737, I have an HW45ES projecting from the minimum 10' throw onto a 100" 1.0 gain white screen and it is definitely on the bright side even in the dimmest mode on low lamp. With a 92" diagonal and 14' throw I think you would be just fine. What I would suggest is starting with the 14' throw and if for any reason you find it not to be bright enough then consider moving the projector mount forward. However I don't think this will be an issue as projectorcentral.com measured only a 17% difference in light output between minimum and maximum lens zoom. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@pete6737, I have an HW45ES projecting from the minimum 10' throw onto a 100" 1.0 gain white screen and it is definitely on the bright side even in the dimmest mode on low lamp. With a 92" diagonal and 14' throw I think you would be just fine. What I would suggest is starting with the 14' throw and if for any reason you find it not to be bright enough then consider moving the projector mount forward. However I don't think this will be an issue as projectorcentral.com measured only a 17% difference in light output between minimum and maximum lens zoom. :)
Dave in Green
Thank for such a speedy reply. I think that's the plan...install it where the old one was, and see what happens...Thanks again...Pete

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Dave in Green
Thank for such a speedy reply. I think that's the plan...install it where the old one was, and see what happens...Thanks again...Pete

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The Sony HW45ES is one of the best looking images out there for the money and is a great replacement for your old model. Sony projectors have gotten WAY brighter over the years, so you will be very happy with the brightness you get in low power mode. Also understand, that 92" is almost tiny by today's standards since you can get TVs up to 85" for not a ton of cash. Typically we see 110" to 150" as common screen sizes. If you can, you may want to consider getting a screen size upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts