AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is significant price diffrerence between the two cameras

$4,9k vs $3,5k but I wonder if there is any difference in the image quality?

Also what is the highest native recoridng mode for both and how it compares to the much cheaper consumer grade Panasonic HDC-TM700 in terms of progressive video option or to the Canon 5DmkII video quality ?
?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
If you mean US prices, it cost just $4,000 for the NX5. The NX5 is infinite times better. I mean, theirs HD-SDI output, multiple 720p modes including 720 60p and fully native 1080 24p. The AX2000 has 24p with pull-down added. You can also hook up an external storage unit to the NX5. Basically the AX2000 is a piece of junk compared to the NX5u. Personally I'd try to choose between the HMC150 and the NX5.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Worth noting the AX2000 doesn't do anything native other than:

1080/60i - NTSC versions

1080/50i - PAL versions

There's no native 1080p modes on the AX2000. Get the NX5

the TM700 has 3x 1/4'' MOS, the NX5/AX2000 has 3x 1/3''. I suspect the Sony's have the better lens. It's a G lens, and it's bigger, so it's probably a given. But I don't have anything to back up the results.

5D Mk2 has a single 36x24mm, but doesn't use the whole 24mm height in video. It would use about 20mm. Ergonomics suck, so I consider video quality in camera work equally as important. Apart from working in low light, and shallow DOF, I expect picture quality to be similar. You don't always want a shallow DOF anyway, something to keep in mind.

Sound recording quality on the Sony's. With the balanced audio inputs, much much better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have both of these cameras, and use them professionally. The Sony AVCHD file architecture creates numerous problems in work flow and file management. It takes beautiful images but has relatively unwieldy ergonomics. The sound handling with balanced inputs is a plus.

The Canon will give you image quality significantly better. The lens options give you exponentially more choice in terms of creativity. The file architecture is work flow friendly. The un-balanced audio is a negative.

Over all if I only had one camera it would be the Canon hands down. The only thing that might change that: if my editing platform of choice were Vegas.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
Well the new Adobe CS5 handles AVCHD structured AVC/H.264 just as well as differently wrapped AVC/H.264 from the HDDSLRs, with its GPU off-loading on Windows 7 64 bit. So, now were are finally seeing proper support for complex compression in NLE's, and workflow issues might be relieved.

·
Registered
158 Posts

I own a AX2000 and it's not a piece of junk...It does a splendid job in all circumstances that I call upon....editing is a breeze using sony Vegas pro 9 on my i7Core desktop and my i7core laptop...You can look on the web and see several instances where the AX2000 is used at weddings with superb results..
To call it a piece of junk is a baseless charge.........

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I know that my wording sounds a bit harsh but I was comparing it to the NX5, meaning it’s junk compared to it. The NX5 is really a much better camcorder. There’s no dispute in that. I gave my reasons why I feal the NX5 is infinate time better so you can't say I was benig baseless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts