AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone ask me about the correct IFB-12 settings for component HD. I know what I'm using works, but I'm not sure I have the right setup. I would hate to give someone bad advice, so I would appreciate if Bruce and the rest of you Sony experts would take a look at this photo and give your opinion about the settings.

On the connector panel, the "IN/OUT" switch is set to "IN", DIP switches 1,2,4,5&6 are off, switch 3 is on.

Pic is huge and overexposed. Sorry, it was the only way could make the switches and jumpers visible. Switches and jumpers are circled in red.

http://www.dallas-music.com/Ebay/IFB-12-E.JPG

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Phil,

I'm not sure off hand what you're referring to here unless you mean the termination, because when the IFB-12 is put in a G70, it is controlled by the projector's menu. I have the little book that comes with the IFB-12 if you need to know something specific.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruce,

I have a pdf version of the IFB-12 manual. So the switch and jumper settings don't make any difference when it's used as an input board for a G70?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Right, all the modes are settable through the G70s menu. On 12xx machines it's different.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Phil,

What device do you have connected to the IFB-12 and what are your G70 menu settings for inputB?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Smith
Phil,

What device do you have connected to the IFB-12 and what are your G70 menu settings for inputB?

Thanks,

Steve
Just remember, whatever you connect to input "B" is limited to 70MHz bandwidth.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,

I have a Sony HD300 Directv receiver connected to it. It works great. The receiver has no color control, but the G70's color controls are operable with component HD, so as far as I'm concerned it's more desirable than RGB.

Bruce, 1080i and 720p uses less than 70MHz bandwidth, right?

When I first acquired my IFB-12, I was really fearful that I could mess up my PJ with wrong switch and jumper settings. Because I wasn't clear on how they should be set, it took me a long time to get up the nerve to install it and fire up the PJ. I can't believe I went thru all that agony for nothing. :D

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Smith
Steve,

I have a Sony HD300 Directv receiver connected to it. It works great. The receiver has no color control, but the G70's color controls are operable with component HD, so as far as I'm concerned it's more desirable than RGB.

Bruce, 1080i and 720p uses less than 70MHz bandwidth, right?

When I first acquired my IFB-12, I was really fearful that I could mess up my PJ with wrong switch and jumper settings. Because I wasn't clear on how they should be set, it took me a long time to get up the nerve to install it and fire up the PJ. I can't believe I went thru all that agony for nothing. :D
Whether it exceeds 70MHz depends on what refresh rate you run at. Technically, it's over at 60 & 72Hz ( 82.9 & 99.6 for 720p and about 94MHz for 1080i @ 60Hz), but it really doesn't matter with the sources you're using.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce,

Thanks!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Last night I got the HD-Tivo working with component HD using an IFB-12a on my G70. Bruce is right, the switch settings don't matter. There's a menu setting that had to be changed to component HD. Once I figured that out everything worked great.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
The numbers I've seen for the actual bandwidth of a 1080i component video signal is just under 40 MHz. I don't know where techman's numbers are from. Of course having an input bandwidth that exceed the video bandwidth of the signal can be of value since bandwidth is normally stated at the -3 dB point.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Jones
The numbers I've seen for the actual bandwidth of a 1080i component video signal is just under 40 MHz. I don't know where techman's numbers are from. Of course having an input bandwidth that exceed the video bandwidth of the signal can be of value since bandwidth is normally stated at the -3 dB point.

Ron Jones
http://www.autopatch.com/dlrportal/bandwidth.html

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
That link provided for the Bandwidth calculator is for PC display formats which assume non-interlaced (i.e., progressive). 1080i requires only 50% the bandwidth of 1080p and this results in a bandwidth (-3 dB) of about 40 MHz.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
You need to use the one for the 3rd harmonic, which is 3x pixel rate. There's another thread where this issue was hashed and hashed.

For junk equipment like they're selling in Sears claiming "HD ready" it's alright to use the single calculation, but not for a G90.

"Why two calculations?

Because you have at least two options:

• Extremely high resolution video systems that produce the third harmonic require significantly wider bandwidths.

• Specifying lower bandwidth equipment for video systems that do not produce the third harmonic can reduce overall system cost."

·
Registered
994 Posts
I ran into some weird behavior with the IFB12a and am trying to figure out if it's normal. If I set the output on my HD-Tivo to anything other than 1080i it loses sync. The menu is set to HDTV - YPbPr. If I set it to Component it will only sync on 480i. Tonight I hooked up a DVHS player and when it rewinds the tape it switches to 480i and loses sync.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.