AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with the Sony Information Center.

1. They said that the HD100 has no capability for horizontal shift (raster) when using the VGA input. I don't know whether this means the unit lacks the capability or whether Sony is simply unwilling to reveal how to access the service menu.

2. They also said that they don't know yet whether they will be enabling users to download retrace timing options to narrow the screen.

3. They are aware of the fan noise issue but have no current plan to solve it. The representative said that there's no reason to believe that higher serial number units would have a better or different fan.

A question: For me the best feature of the Sony relative to the RCA is the capability of filling a 16x9 screen with non-HD material by setting the unit to 4:3 and selecting Pan & Scan. This eliminates the wide black bars, which turn my 30" widescreen set into about a 24" 4:3 set. Almost everything else favors the RCA (price, quiet operation, raster adjustment, an only marginally less clever GUI, and a manufacturer that understands its product). I need VGA output on my HD STB, so my choice is between the Sony and the RCA. So, is there a way on the DTC-100 to fill the 16x9 screen with non-HD material as is possible with the Sony? I had a DTC-100 for a while but couldn't do it. If it's possible to do so I'm giving up on the Sony and getting another DTC-100.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Yes, the RCA has a type of zoom mode (don't recall what it's called), but it does enable you to fill a 16:9 screen with a 4:3 broadcast. I'll warn you though it looks lousy. The Sony's option (variable output) gives your TV the ability to fill the screen if it has some type of stretch mode. I've found that usually the TV has a better means of doing this, especially if your set has some type of "variable stretch" mode which may provide greater picture quality.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good, so it looks like Sony finally admit it that there is a fan noise problem with the HD100. Now let see how quick they'll fix that. Until then, guess we'll have to crank up the sound. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

CC

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: When you use the VGA input on your Loewe, do the Loewe picture "format" options [panarama, cinema, zoom, 4:3, 16:9] become disabled?

Dorian, no they don't become disabled, they work fine with the Sony, but when I had a DTC-100 (that I returned because of an unrelated manufacturing defect), I couldn't seem to find the setting that filled the screen on 4:3 non-HD material, and scrolling through the Loewe format options didn't work. It wouldn't surprise me if I was doing something wrong, though; I'm a rookie at this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
what can the fix be? if they do have one, its a new fan, a new heat sink or other a redesign and i doubt that they will send you a new unit and then let you send yours back. its no unit for weeks if there is a fix.

give me a part number and id gladly change it myself...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
D. Cooke,

You can fill your 16x9 screen with 4:3 programming on the DTC-100 using one of these 3 choices:

1. Select "Full" mode using Forward button on remote. This stretches horizontally to fill the screen.

2. Select "Fill" mode using Forward button on remote. This zooms the picture to fill the sides, but it also cuts off part of the top and bottom.

3. Use the S-video out to your TV and use your TV capability to format the picture.

Good luck.

Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.