AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to Sony today and their engineers are aware of the fan noise problem. They kept saying that the noise will be a little loud if you are close to the receiver. I said I was 10 feet away and could still hear it. In closing they are in the process of creating a fix, they said. They also said that they have not heard that many complaints about video dropouts or lip sync problems. Everybody that owns a Sony HD100 needs to be heard now for them to wake up. I recommend that everybody call their support and customer relations line today! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

[This message has been edited by jaye fayed (edited 04-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jaye fayed (edited 04-11-2001).]

·
Registered
731 Posts
Jaye, I'm sure glad to see Sony responding. I can't help but wonder what the fix will be for the loud fan, will I have to take my unit to a service center (probably)? It's my only real complaint with the unit, the rest of the issues (drop-outs, etc) can be rectified through software updates.

Roger

·
Registered
651 Posts
The fix could be installing a more quiet (and mode expensive)

fan with (about) the same CFM rating. I am pretty sure they

used a $5 fan in there. A good one would cost $10.

·
Registered
540 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, if sony said they have not heard a lot of complaints about video dropouts then they are not "aware of hd100 problems."

·
Registered
731 Posts
lhamp, I agree with you. They (Sony) seem to have different responses depending on the CSR and who called or what day they call. Sometimes they "are working on a solution" and other times they "haven't really heard much on that issue". It can't be both ways.

Still, based on other threads (in which you have participated too), I do think they are working on the drop-out (software hopefully) problems. I hope for a download for those. The fan will be some kind of service center thing though and that means losing my primary source device during the fix. Guess I'll have to stack up a list of DVD's I haven't seen yet for when this happens.

Roger

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got my HD100 (connected to a sony xbr53" hd-ready monitor) two days ago and while I have noticed the fan being louder than I expected it to be, and wonder why it stays on when the unit is off, the breathtaking picture and beautiful guides/menus compensate for this small problem many times over. I love this box and have serious concerns that I will grow fat from inability to get off the couch! It receives all available local OTA channels perfectly and the first time I turned on the PBS demo loop I could swear my jaw dropped to the floor in awe.

------------------

the insects are huge and the poison's all been used

and the drugs won't kill your day job -beck

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JR Ewing:
I just got my HD100 (connected to a sony xbr53" hd-ready monitor) two days ago and while I have noticed the fan being louder than I expected it to be, and wonder why it stays on when the unit is off, the breathtaking picture and beautiful guides/menus compensate for this small problem many times over. I love this box and have serious concerns that I will grow fat from inability to get off the couch! It receives all available local OTA channels perfectly and the first time I turned on the PBS demo loop I could swear my jaw dropped to the floor in awe.

Sony told me that when box is off it is not off, just the A/V outputs are switched off.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree, the box doesn't really turn off - even with the fan running, the case gets reasonably toasty even while the unit is off. But I was surprised that they were unable to reduce power consumption enough to be able to kill the fan when the user hits the off switch.

Of course, this is a DirecTV receiver, so this isn't really surprising - ALL DirecTV receivers remain powered up to some extent so that they continually receive updated guide info, software downloads when applicable, access changes (if they decide to cut off your account, let's say...).

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
168 Posts
PBS is locally broadcasting numerous "Over (Place of your choice)" shows over the air in the Seattle area, plus other specials every couple of days. WWW.KCTS.ORG has an excellent section describing their DTV broadcast schedule. It's not really a demo "loop" in the same sense as what DirecTV's been showing on channel 199.

------------------

Andy

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I agree, the best HDTV programming I have seen yet is on PBS WETA out of Washington D.C. Especially 35.1 which has been running 3 different programs all day long. One program is about the Southwest and the canyons and vistas are almost 3D. They have also been running a Muddy Waters tribute. Absolutely great! This is what HDTV really is.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The Sony HD 100 # is: 1-800-838-7669. Try to speak to a level II tech person and make sure that you get an "event" number. Also ask for a "callback" about your problems. Let them know about the AVS Forum site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.