AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pushed back at least a year.

Quote:
Sony will likely delay the launch of its next organic light emitting diode, or OLED, television because mass producing the new ultrathin displays would exacerbate losses at its TV division, according to people familiar with the matter.

XEL-1 organic light emitting diode (OLED) television

The company had been targeting a 2009 release for a larger successor to a model with an 11-inch screen released in late 2007, which is the first and only OLED TV to reach stores so far. But Sony has decided to push back the new model until at least next year, these people said.

Research firm DisplaySearch estimates Sony's production yield for its 11-inch OLED panel is below 60%, meaning at least four of every 10 panels its factories produce aren't up to par and can't be sold. Larger panels would likely introduce more difficulties. Sony declined to comment on its production yields.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125053074821237541.html

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well, this is typical SONY. Let's see if Samsung at least will not be able to trump them once again by releasing a large-ish OLED this year.

A 5000$ OLED in mid to late 2010 is not what consumers are interested in, and it looks like what SONY is thinking about offering.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sony should concentrate on present tech that will be competing in future shootouts so they can be competitive.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer /forum/post/17015222

Sony should concentrate on present tech that will be competing in future shootouts so they can be competitive.

At least small OLED devices are available for purchase:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bfc7/

Sony is ditching triluminos as well for the XBR10... perhaps 2010 will be better for Sony... Besides, the XBR8 came out right after the Value Electronics shootout!

·
Registered
900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb32 /forum/post/17017397

Sony is ditching triluminos as well for the XBR10... perhaps 2010 will be better for Sony... Besides, the XBR8 came out right after the Value Electronics shootout!

Sony generated a large wad of their profits from their Playstation brand. "Generated" is the keyword here as the PS3 does not run as hot as expected (they have major hopes in the new 'PS3 Slim' which will be announced shortly, perhaps today).

However, all other consumer products (especially those that don't generate high profits) were neglected because of the incredible success of the first Playstation and the double-slam with the second one. They really made themselves somethat dependent on it and this is one of the big reasons they stumble so badly now, IMHO.

bye

Benny42

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Sony is a premium brand. Premium brands tend to suffer more than bottom feeders during tough economic times. The current economic downturn is much larger than recent ones and, contrary to what main stream media reports, there's no end in sight. I wish it weren't so, but I think Sony is making the right decision in cutting back everything that's not a core product.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn /forum/post/17020484

Sony is a premium brand. Premium brands tend to suffer more than bottom feeders during tough economic times. The current economic downturn is much larger than recent ones and, contrary to what main stream media reports, there's no end in sight. I wish it weren't so, but I think Sony is making the right decision in cutting back everything that's not a core product.

Sony is a "Premium" brand with issues.

I have freinds that swear by Sony even though most of the products they have bought from them over the last 20 years has barely made it past the warranty period before they smoked (literally in some cases).

I have freinds in Japan that will never buy another product from them. Sony has a long uphill battle to overcome the bad press they have gotten in the last decade.

As for the economy, it is much worse than the media is making it out, but since the admin that they helped elect is saying it will be over by the end of the year, they have to play along. What allot of us realize about the economy is that it is driven by people and if we all went out and started buying and told the media that there is no downturn, it would all disappear much more quickly. So maybe the media might help by saying it is over, if people believe it, it will help to turn it around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts