AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Somebody please help me comprehend this. Many sources I've checked list the new Foo Fighters dualdisc "In Your Honor" as DVD-A (96 kHz/24 bit), though its not labeled as such. It's an RCA records release which is owned by the Evil Empire-Sony. Why? Is anybody thinking that maybe Sony is getting with the program?

·
Registered
101 Posts
probably they just didn't know about it. sony's too big to keep up with all of it's sub-labels these days.

but "getting with the program?" no. case in point: Blue Ray.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they're part of Sony's big happy family.

Quote:
I am not sure I heard such M&A before.
M&A ?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheoaustin
Is RCA/BMG owned by Sony?
Si senor! The "big 5" are down to the "bIG fOUR": Sony, Universal, Warner, and EMI.

Today pigs flew jets for Delta, Saddam made a sincere apology and pleaded guity, Alchemy really works, Barbara Striestand switched to the We-publican Party, tobacco smoke was proved safe, and Sony released a Dual-y Disc with DVD-A content, NOT! :D What was it Frank Zap-ster used to say...? Oh yes, " ...Eddie are you kidding..."

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Here's what BMG says about itself.

Quote:
About BMG Music Service

BMG Music Service has been bringing people and music together for over 50 years. Launched in the mid-1950s, the Club was part of the RCA family of music until it was acquired by Bertelsmann in 1987. The company is the largest direct-to-customer distributor of music in the world and has millions of members across its various genre-based music clubs.
No mention of Senor SONY.

But at the SONY/BMG site it all becomes painfully clear:

http://www.sonybmg.com/

Read all about it and see pictures of some of the higher paid putas, tambien.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy
What was it Frank Zap-ster used to say...? Oh yes, " ...Eddie are you kidding..."
Zappa also said, in the persona of clueless middle America, "It can't happen here..." And yet it did. Just ask Suzy Creamcheese. ;)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheoaustin
How come my saying "Merge and Acquisition" linked to me being "ferengi"? Isn't this an insult?
It's not an insult to a Ferengi, who are always talking about "mergers and acquisitions."

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13
Are you Ferengi?

:p

Thanks, that cracked me up...

I hope someone else got it , I am not even a huge Trekkie or anything...

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13
Zappa also said, in the persona of clueless middle America, "It can't happen here..." And yet it did. Just ask Suzy Creamcheese. ;)
Didn't you hear? Billy The Mountain stepped on Suzy and now she's Suzy Spot on the road. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
filecat13

I get it. but it is early

Question Are we to the point were we will be buying used DVDA and SACD because both formats will be dropped like Beta? If not now then how soon?

RJ

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe Sony is quietly doing away with the SACD format. Not only is this format non-intuitive from a technical standpoint (i.e. all audio and DSP engineers are trained to understand PCM audio -- i.e. sequences of integers, not streams of bursting bits), but it confuses the marketplace. DVD audio (multichannel PCM) is perfectly capable of delivering the ultimate audio quality as perceivable by at least 99.999% of all people. If we had just one hi-res / multichannel format, we might not see the DVD-Audio and SACD bins at Tower Records no wider than my outstretched arms (I hope everybody is noticing how the low-res formats (MP3, AAC, etc) are out-selling hi-res formats by 1000x or more). My conclusion is that the content companies need to rally together behind a common multi-channel format and market the hell out of it, and stop confusing people with all the different formats that are out there.

-Rob

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.