AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had decided on a KD-34XBR2 because it had, for me, the right combination of features--built-in HDTV receiver (too many trees in the way for satellite), firewire, excellent picture, at a reasonable price point.

Then I learned from Sony technical support this afternoon that this set (and all the XBR2's) down-converts 720P to 480P rather than upconverting it to 1080i. Presumably, it then line doubles it to 960P for display, but, clearly, broadcast information is lost. Since ABC (and others) use 720P exclusively, I am concerned.

How big a difference will there be on a 34" screen? Has anyone actually seen this set receiving a 720P signal? I was impressed by its 1080i picture.

Thanks....Alan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I would double check that information, every decoder box handles 720 to 1080 or 720 to 720. I went to www.twice.com and check the specs on the xBr2 and it has 720 to 1080.

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am frankly amazed that someone actually contacted Sony Tech Support..... Last time I tried regarding this set they denied it was a product. I checked the home office in NJ and they said the were closing the local service centers and there was no one to talk to any more. I even left a message at the Marketing dept. No reply of course.

I do own one of these, and the manual does indicate that it receives all 18 standards....ABC looks fine for me.

[This message has been edited by webmarin (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
We know that it can display 720p, as an HDTV it has to be able to, but the question is if the internal tuner downconverts it to 480p, thus losing all the extra resolution, or converts it to 1080i so that while it's no longer progressive, you keep the extra resolution. I know that if it downconverts it to 480p, it makes it much less attractive to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My information that the set downconverts 720P to 480P came from a knowledgeable SONY technical staffer who ASSURED me that he had verified it with a Sony Engineer at their Pennsylvania center. And it is true for all the XBR2 models.

Apparently, the TWICE listing is incorrect.

Alan

·
Registered
710 Posts
If anyone knows the next time ABC will definitely be broadcasting a 720p signal I can verify this - signal strength on this set has been quite good for ABC, but until they start their new HDTV fall season, last year's repeats all seem to be upconverts...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.