AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a HDTV set and I am looking at the Sony KD-34XBR2 or the RCA F3810. I like the Sony picture quality but like the RCA size :) any other units I should be considering? Any comments on either units will be helpful.

TIA:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Diesel,

I am going through a similar situation- I think you may need to wait it out or if you must go with the RCA because its considerable easier to watch. Possibly you could get a high quality 32 or 36 inch 4:3 for now- only I am still trying to find out if one can place 16:9 material into the full 4:3 even if you degrade it a bit?

I find it really unfortunate that japanese makers have 36" and now 40" inch direct view 16:9 sets available in Asia, but refuse to bring them here.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was told by a salesman that the larger flat screen 16:9 tube TVs had reliability problems. I'm referring to implosion type reliability problems. He stated that Sony originally had a 36" 16:9 but stopped making it because of this. Since this came from a salesman take it for what it's worth...

Just comparing these two units, the Sony is a clear winner. It's also almost twice as much money. You should also consider Panasonic and Hitachi. Read into the posts here and you will get more info from people who have these units. I have the Sony on order.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was also torn between the two but picked the Sony. I think the reputation of Sony, the firewire inputs, and the mutable inputs made me pick the Sony. I also felt that the analog stations looked better on the Sony but could never compare the two side by side in the store. So far I am happy with the Sony however I sometime wished it had a bigger screen, especially when watching a 4:3 digital program in a 16:9 frame or watching a DVD like Gandui. The RCA is a lot cheaper so you may want to consider the RCA and get a firewire dtv in a few years when the prices go down and the firewire is more useful.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Have no doubt that KD-34XBR2 is the BEST direct-view HDTV available today. While the RCA unit is 4 inches larger, it is not a flat screen and having a flat screen has become a necessity for me in recent years.

With regards to larger sets in Japan and Europe, I'm skeptical as to their screen size as I had heard of a 36' 16x9 in Europe, but I found out later from a forum member that in Europe, they actually measure the whole sheet of glass, not just the viewable part. I guess this is similar to buying a 19' monitor, only to find out that it is actually smaller than that with regards to viewable screen size.

At this point, I think that the largest 16x9 direct-view that can be made is 38', however I do not believe this can be done using a flat screen.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I heard that the RCA is being discontinued due to the fact that Dish network bought directtv and the set has a satellite tuner built into it. I have seen prices as low as $1770.00.

I think the RCA has only one input also.

Every RCA that i have seen looks great though. Showing more detail than the Panasonic Taus that were on either side of it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had the RCA F38310 for about a month and I love it.:D I looked at the Sony and the others and I didn't think that they were better with a HD signal.

When I compared standard OTA signals, I did note the others seem a little better. I felt it was because the RCA was bigger and I watch 4:3 enlarged so the top and bottom is cut off, the screen is filled from right to left. This is the largest picture that you see and if the picture is not good to start with, it will only look worse when it is enlarged. On the other hand, the sony is newer and may prcess the signal better. After watching for a month, I can watch an OTA analog picture and it does not bother me. The problem comes after a HD signal or seeing a movie on my progressive DVD player. That problem isn't anything I can blame on the television.

When I started looking, I had the Sony in mine, I always had Sonys before and didn't have any problems so to change brands was difficult for me. It came down to that I liked the RCA's HD picture better, the HD receiver is built in and the RCA was less expensive. Only time will tell how it will hold up.

My opinion only.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well...I personally like the Sony set because its flat and has the firewire inputs. I was going to purchase the RCA set awhile back but what turned me off to it was the curved surface. I couldn't believe that they would release a widescreen Tube that wasn't flat!!

But, this is an opinion coming from a salesperson so take it for what its worth!

:mad:

Jesus J.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
While the RCA unit is 4 inches larger, it is not a flat screen and having a flat screen has become a necessity for me in recent years.
Looks like RCA is getting their act together:

Thomson introduces their new RCA Scenium upscale produce line replacing the Proscan brand with their initial offerings to include a 50-inch plasma display ($14999), a 50-inch HDTV rear projector ($6999) using their new LCOS display technology, plus 32-inch and 36-inch flat screen direct view HDTV monitors (at $1799 and $2299).

·
Registered
109 Posts
One of the reasons that the RCA is much cheaper is because the tube is not flat. The manufacturing process is considerably cheaper on the slightly curve RCA...However, flat screens do not translate into more resolution, just a more modern look! If you check the true resolution the RCA is equal or slightly higher than most of the other tube HDTV manufacturers. As far as reliability, RCA did have a significant recall on this model early on, but most of my customers have really been impressed with them since. Of course, I have also had some customers who have reported problems with the SONY XBR400. But again, overall people have been happy.

I know that the 38inch is due for replacement probably by years end. But that has nothing to do with the Dish/Direct TV deal, which by the way may not be approved. The fact is the 38 is almost 2 model years old and due for replacement. It is unclear if SCENIUM will release a 38... But the 38 inch(curved) tube is still slated to be produced for a while. Remember LOEWE uses the same tube in their recent ANACONDA 38 incher.

For a lot of people size does matter. 38" 16/9 equals approx 32" 4/3 where as 34" 16/9 equals approx 27" 4/3.

·
Registered
721 Posts
b4z,

Where have you seen for $ 1770.00? For that price, the 38 inch size, DTC100 built in with both DIRECTV and OTA HD capability, that would be a GREAT price.

If you, or anyone, has a receipt showing that price, I will take to Sears today and order. Here's to hoping!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Quote:
Marissadad, is there an RCA widescreen direct view coming out?
I can't find any news on their website.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.