AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been thinking about getting a HD set that would last me a while. Ive researched all the hd technologies out there and i keep coming back to look at crts. My brother just bought a westinghouse 32" LCD from best buy 2 weeks ago and is having a blast with Gears of War on the 360, But it seems to suck in color, viewing angles and blacks compared to my current Symphonic 27" SD TV. I know that the KD-XBR970 has HDMI input, accepts 720p and 1080i, deepest of blacks, great color and has a high native resolution. I don't seem to care about TV style, I'm definitly more into quality and performance. I would be using the 360, satallite TV and DVDs, probably in that order. The things i need to know are:

What is the actual pixel resolution of this set? is it 1920x1080 (1080i)?, I've heard its somehow lower than that.

Would the PS3 run fine in hd?

How does sd content and DVDs stack up compared to other hd technologies?

Is there any slow frame rates because of the interlaced display? People say yes, others say no, I'm confused on the subject.

I've heard that text is hard to read in games, is this true? is it bad?

Bulkyness and weight doesn't effect me at all, im partially sold on the set but need to know some things before i commit. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have this TV, so maybe I can help. Be advised that I'm not an expert, and read these forums to get most of my info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty_Effect /forum/post/0

What is the actual pixel resolution of this set? is it 1920x1080 (1080i)?, I've heard its somehow lower than that.

That's what I've heard too, but most people don't seem to think it's that big of a deal. Of course, the 960 with more pixels would be the better set, but the 970 is still a great TV. I'm not sure why a CRT can do 1080i with less than the normal amount of pixels and still look good. Something to do with the way a CRT creates an image, I'm sure.

Quote:

I watched the BD version of Crank last night on my PS3, and it looked great. The set has an internal scaler that puts everything to 1080i, so playing Resistance (which is 720p) was no problem. As far as I can tell, the 970 does a fine job of scaling, but maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can chime in.

Quote:

I don't really watch much SD content. From what I've seen, it doesn't look all that great, but I think that's the case with most sets designed to display a high quality image. DVDs over my Oppo look great.

Quote:
Is there any slow frame rates because of the interlaced display? People say yes, others say no, I'm confused on the subject.

I don't really understand the question. Why would interlacing have anything to do with it being slow? Interlaced is the 970's native display, it does it just fine. I haven't noticed any slowdown when it scales a 720p image in Resistance, but I'll keep my eye out.

Quote:

It was kinda hard to read in a few older games (can't remember any specific titles off hand), but nothing too bad. Both the Wii and PS3 browsers have very small text, which is hard to read.

Quote:
Bulkyness and weight doesn't effect me at all, im partially sold on the set but need to know some things before i commit. Thanks a bunch.

Good, because it's heavy

·
Registered
707 Posts
Regarding SD content... I've said this before and I'll say it again.

This TV does SD better than any fixed-pixel-type HD display (LCD/Plasma/DLP/etc), hands-down.

In fact, the XBR970 does SD as good as (and maybe better than) my 24" 4:3 SD Sony Wega.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull /forum/post/0

Regarding SD content... I've said this before and I'll say it again.

This TV does SD better than any fixed-pixel-type HD display (LCD/Plasma/DLP/etc), hands-down.

In fact, the XBR970 does SD as good as (and maybe better than) my 24" 4:3 SD Sony Wega.

I'd trust G-bull's opinion over mine. The only time I watch TV is when someone comes over and wants to put it on. 99% of my viewing is DVDs or games over HDMI or component.

It doesn't help that my old cable box only has composite outs

·
Registered
707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyline /forum/post/0

I'd trust G-bull's opinion over mine. The only time I watch TV is when someone comes over and wants to put it on. 99% of my viewing is DVDs or games over HDMI or component.

It doesn't help that my old cable box only has composite outs

Awwww, thanks....

But it is just my opinion, of course. To Shifty_Effect -- try to find a display model somewhere so you can actually view the TV in action. I think it's a great TV, and I wouldn't trade mine in for any other TV currently on the market. But then again, I've spent a lot of time setting it up to make it exactly as I want it.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Quote:

The resolution on this set is 853x1080 or about 1.0 megapixel. True 1080p HD sets are 2.0 megapixels, but don't let that bother you. First off, The Sony XBR970 is widely regarded as the best TV money can buy, be it an LCD, plasma, DLP...whatever. The importance of resolution is dead last when it comes overall picture quality. Contrast, color, and black levels matter much more.

Also, 1.0 megapixel is still 3 times the detail of an SD set and about equal to the detail in a 720p set. You won't have any problem reading text in games. And if you grab an upconverting 1080i DVD player, DVDs will better than you thought they were capable of.

Believe me, a 34XBR970 that has been ISF calibrated is the most beautiful sight in the consumer technological world.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot /forum/post/0

The resolution on this set is 853x1080 or about 1.0 megapixel. True 1080p HD sets are 2.0 megapixels, but don't let that bother you. First off, The Sony XBR970 is widely regarded as the best TV money can buy, be it an LCD, plasma, DLP...whatever. The importance of resolution is dead last when it comes overall picture quality. Contrast, color, and black levels matter much more.

Also, 1.0 megapixel is still 3 times the detail of an SD set and about equal to the detail in a 720p set. You won't have any problem reading text in games. And if you grab an upconverting 1080i DVD player, DVDs will better than you thought they were capable of.

Believe me, a 34XBR970 that has been ISF calibrated is the most beautiful sight in the consumer technological world.

Argh 853x1080 isnt even the standard hd res, this is definitly disappointing. Might make me look at dlp or lcd.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:

Recently I've been thinking about getting a HD set that would last me a while. Ive researched all the hd technologies out there and i keep coming back to look at crts. My brother just bought a westinghouse 32" LCD from best buy 2 weeks ago and is having a blast with Gears of War on the 360, But it seems to suck in color, viewing angles and blacks compared to my current Symphonic 27" SD TV. I know that the KD-XBR970 has HDMI input, accepts 720p and 1080i, deepest of blacks, great color and has a high native resolution. I don't seem to care about TV style, I'm definitly more into quality and performance. I would be using the 360, satallite TV and DVDs, probably in that order. The things i need to know are:

This TV runs at a 853x1080i maximum resolution. But it can display 853x480p and

853x960i. But don't get fussy about the 853 horizontal resolution. If you put a

1280x720p DLP RP TV, you will see that the Sony KD-34XBR970's 853x1080i

resolution will be far superior than 1280x720p. You won't really notice a difference

between 1080i and a 720p picture side by side but only if you are looking at a

text display. Text displays will jittter a little but not that noticable like it's

vibrating up and down due to interlaced. But do not compare 720p to 1080i

on the same TV because it will result to the same native resolution your

TV is displaying.

DVD's are good especially if you can get a progressive one. If you get an

upscale DVD player, chances are there are little to no difference when playing a 1080i

upscaled DVD. DVD's have maximum resolution of 480p so progressive

scan DVD player will let this TV display a EDTV. SD contents will look good as a

native SDTV if you properly calibrated it. If you are planning to get one, get "Avia

Guide to Home Theater" DVD. If you aren't planning to get one, choose Pro as

the default setting and play around with the setting until you get that balance

tone and sharpness.

Playing any video game system will result in much more vivid detail and contrast

when playing in this TV especially the one in HD (Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3). I

only have PlayStation 2 (480p) and it looks amazing. Use Pro settings too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok this stuff make me happy

Is the Avia DVD the best calibration dvd for this crt. Im just assuming this cuz of like.no.other. and countless other people. But since this is a crt only forum, i would trust your answer more.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:

Ok this stuff make me happy

Is the Avia DVD the best calibration dvd for this crt. Im just assuming this cuz of like.no.other. and countless other people. But since this is a crt only forum, i would trust your answer more.

Yes, I recently got it and it made a whole lot of difference when viewing SD and

just a minor touch up for HD due to me already calibrating it with THX optimizer.

I used progressive scan DVD player to calibrate it via Component Cables.

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:

Argh 853x1080 isnt even the standard hd res, this is definitly disappointing. Might make me look at dlp or lcd.

I looked and what I saw just frustrated me. SSE everywhere I looked so RPTVs got nixed and LCDs and Plasmas got scrubed too, weak black levels and contrast. Fugiot is correct, obsessing over resolution is time wasted. Black level, contrast, and color is FAR more important and none of the technologies I've just mentioned can match a properly calibrated CRT imho. My advice is to take another look at the 970 but if 1080p is what you want then that's what you should get.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 Umbrellas /forum/post/0

I looked and what I saw just frustrated me. SSE everywhere I looked so RPTVs got nixed and LCDs and Plasmas got scrubed too, weak black levels and contrast. Fugiot is correct, obsessing over resolution is time wasted. Black level, contrast, and color is FAR more important and none of the technologies I've just mentioned can match a properly calibrated CRT imho. My advice is to take another look at the 970 but if 1080p is what you want then that's what you should get.

Ok, i might ass well get the Avia DVD. When i get the set, should i set it to 720p or 1080i? since you say there isnt much difference, would i even notice it?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I just bought my 970 at best buy yesterday. The guy who sold it to me asked if i knew I was getting the most picture accurate tv in the store. I said yeah that's why I'm here. As a gamer to I couldn't have made a better choice. Go ahead and try LCD, Plasma, DLP, but none of those match the overall picture of the 970.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
We have no idea what SSE means. It's just his own acronyms that he hopes to be

official

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.