AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sony: Better looking and good PQ. Previous generation glass.

Pioneer: Ugly compared to Sony but better PQ and technically superior using the latest technology.Green tint needs fixing. More user controls to tweak PQ. Better stretch modes for SD viewing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say the green tint needs fixing does that mean you can correct it manually in the color menu or is it a permanent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here are the input selections for the 2 displays.
Sony KDE50XBR950:

1) S-VIDEO, i.LINK, COMPOSITE

2) S-VIDEO, i.LINK, COMPOSITE

3) S-VIDEO, i.LINK, COMPOSITE

4) COMPONENT

5) COMPONENT

6) DVI

Pioneer Pro-1110HD:

1) HDMI, COMPONENT, COMPOSITE

2) S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE

3) HDMI, COMPONENT, COMPOSITE

4) COMPONENT, S-VIDEO, COMPOSITE

5) PC

6) i.LINK

It's hard to say which one is more flexible--that depends on the user's configuration. The advantages of the Pioneer are the 2 HDMI inputs and a PC input. However, in some circumstances the Sony inputs are more versatile.

I currently have 3 component sources, 2 S-VIDEO sources, and 1 DVI source. With the 1110HD, I have to switch 2 component & 2 S-VIDEO sources through my receiver; with the Sony, I would only have to switch 2 component sources. However, I'll be replacing one of the component sources w/HDMI soon, and the Sony would require me to switch the 2 DVI/HDMI sources.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please excuse my unfamiliarity with some of these terms. I currently own the Sony KVD-XBR700 40 inch tube with a Pioneer DV 47AI DVD player and that's about as advanced as I am on the technology. Can someone explain to me the differences in inputs between what I currently have and what the Pioneer PRO 1110HD offers. For instance what is an HDMI input. I 'm assuming it's an upgrade over the DVI input. I don't have HD set up yet and am also wondering if newer HD receivers have this HDMI connection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd like to know too how fixable the green tint is...

Can you fix it with, say, DVE and the standard 4 picture settings, or do you have to open it up and get a professional to tweak it somehow?

Thanks!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Kazu,

I have Pioneer 504HDE (european equivalent of 1110HD) and I dont see any green tint. There does seem to be some grey area with the blacks (excuse the dark humour), but the PQ is better than anything I have experienced before (sony crt and plasmas included). Let your eyes be your guides.

Ahmed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The green tint was visible to me even after tweaking the Elite. I could see the green tint on the semi bald head of the newscaster's hair and it wouldnt go away totally. But some others have indicated that it is curable by ISF calibration which the Elite has a menu for.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I noticed the green tint on the set where I saw it displayed. The sales staff insist that the Pioneer is a much better set but the Sony looks better to my eyes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
While I think it's possible to adjust any display to look better than all the others, I was in comparing these two on Tuesday.

PQ is subjective, but I felt that the Sony's picture was significantly better than the Elite Pro's. I thought it was better than the Panasonic's as well (and that was the 42" model as they didn't have a 50" consumer Panasonic).

Go for the XBR? Go for the Panasonic? Wait for this year's Panasonic? Not easy questions to answer!

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The green tint is easily corrected on the Pio 910 & 1110 in the

Pro Adjust/Color Temp menu.

The Sony is also a great panel.

Junkstory - pick what looks good in your eyes.

Be sure and view in several stores and lighting conditions

·
Registered
283 Posts
Anyone else trying to choose between these two sets right now? Their picture qualities look the same to me. The biggest issue for me right now is that Pioneer offers a 2-year warranty and Sony one 1-year. (My CC will make the 3-years and 2-years respectively)

However, I do like Sony's media stick slot so that I can just easily pop up my digital photos on the screen.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
It it helps at all, the ATSC tuner in the Sony is great. There's a low power digital station that a Dish 6000, Dish 811 and HNS E86 won't touch but the Sony's tuner pulls it right in, no problems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SupraLB
Anyone else trying to choose between these two sets right now? Their picture qualities look the same to me. The biggest issue for me right now is that Pioneer offers a 2-year warranty and Sony one 1-year. (My CC will make the 3-years and 2-years respectively)

However, I do like Sony's media stick slot so that I can just easily pop up my digital photos on the screen.
SupraLB, I also saw your post in the "Pioneer 1110hd vs Fujitsu p50" thread. I considered the same 3 displays (P50, 1110HD, & XBR950), and I eliminated the Fujitsu for the same reason--I decided I wanted the media box b/c I had to run 50' of cable from the electronics to the display.

I like the aesthetics of the Sony much better, and the media stick is nice, but the Elite's 2 HDMI inputs are also an excellent feature. I thought that HD was great on both displays and SD was, well, not so great (just b/c it's SD). Therefore, I used DVD material as my primary comparison medium.

I connected a Denon 5900 to both displays via component (exact same cable & power source), and I calibrated each display w/DVE. With bright, colorful scenes, they both looked fantastic. Originally, the Sony looked better until I figured out how to get rid of the green in the Elite. Then, I turned off all the lights in the store (it was dark outside too), and in my comparison, the Elite clearly outperformed the Sony in dark scenes. The Sony showed a lot more digital artifacts: noise, banding, and a lot more false contours. The Elite's blacks looked deeper & more detailed. I used various dark & bright scenes in Italian Job, Spiderman, Hulk, & Star Wars II for comparison.

The two displays were the same price to me, so I wanted to like the Sony better due to its aesthetics, but I had to go w/the Elite, and I've been extremely happy w/my choice. I didn't think I needed the OTA HD tuner, but it turns out to be much better than the 2 yr old Sony HD100 OTA HD tuner that I have.

The only problem I'm having so far is a subtle flicker when I use 5900's DVI output and I activate the 1110's ADV processing--I don't know which component is at "fault."

Hope this helps. I'm sure you'll be very happy w/either choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the PRO910HD rather than the PRO1110HD. Love it. I paired my plasma with Pio's DV-59AVi universal player, which lets me take advantage of the HDMI. Incredible picture with it. Sound is sent through Pio's VSX-55TXi receiver. There have been some previous threads addresssing settings for these plasmas. They help. Personally, I don't see the green push, but I am curious to see what an ISF cal would do. Anyway, I was starting from a clean slate and decided to stick with an all-Pio setup. Personally, I like the appearance of the Pio. Works well with my speakers and other components. Haven't gotten any complaints from guests, but maybe they were just being polite! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.