AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a opinion on this model? I have the Comcast DVR/HD capable box with HBO, and will be sitting about 12 feet from the screen. I plan to use this set to watch HD channels, SD channels that I can only get with the Digital service, and DVD's. I watch a lot of sports, including the NBA and MLB Indemand League passes, ESPNEWS, NFL Network, and NBATV. I also take advantage of many of the programs that Comcast offers with their On Demand service. I will also keep my SD 32" Philips hooked up to the cable, and plan to use this set for most SD channels that I can't get on the digital tier, and vcr recordings. This will be the set I will use during the day to watch talk shows, CNBC, and FNC. This should also help the bulb life on the Sony. I also need 2 TVs because I am always watching at least 1 sports game at night plus either another game or a program. Perfect example last night: Red Sox muted on the 32", and Las Vegas and CSI: Miami on the 27". Do you guys think the 42WE655 is a good set for my viewing needs? Anyone have this set? How is the picture on both HD and SD channels? Anyone have this set with Comcast service and how is the In/On demand programs? Also, would it be better for me to save a few hundred dollars and get last year's model KF-42WE610 since I won't be using the HD tuner or cable card options? I read that this year's model uses a 120 watt bulb over last year's 100 watt(which had problems), so that should provide a better picture? Any other upgrades on this year's model? Thanks for any help or opinions. :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I'm very happy with my 42WE655. It does a very good job with SD material...especially digital (OTA and cable). Why would you not use the built-in HD tuner for OTA programs? Does Comcast offer all the major networks in HD in your area? Cox only has NBC-HD in my area so I use the tuner for ABC, CBS, FOX, and UPD HD shows...and the digital SD feeds are considerably better then the analog SD version from the cable company. You could also easily split the cable with one going directly into the Sony for all the analog stuff and the other into the STB for digital and all your InDemand, and DVR stuff. I'm waiting for the HD-DVR to be available here myslef...I'll replace the Tivo in the bedroom with one of those. I think you'll be happy with the GWIV...but I'd go 50" if I were you. I'm about 9ft from the 42 and it's fine...but especially for sports and movies the extra real estate would be great.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying I should be closer to the 42"? I am in the process of rearranging my room to accommodate the 42". Right now I sit about 8 feet away from my 32" and 27", and could put the new Sony 42" at the same 8 foot distance, but I thought it might be better to sit a little further back to view the larger screen.

I have read that if I get rid of the Comcast DVR/HD box to use the HD tuner/Cable Card I would lose the channel guide as well as the On Demand program access. Of course I would also lose the DVR. The channel guide alone is enough reason to keep the Comcast DVR/HD box. Comcast does offer ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC/WB Networks in HD in my area. Right now I have been watching the digital feeds of these HD channels on my 32" as they fit the screen perfect and are much better than the analog SD versions on the lower tier.

Your suggestion on the cable split is very interesting. Are you saying I should use the Comcast box on my 32" and just connect the cable to the Sony 42"? And, are you suggesting this because the 4:3 digital channels and On Demand program pictures will be much better on the 32" than the Sony 42" since they are not shown in HD 16:9? I would also lose the ability to record HD programs to watch later since the Comcast DVR box would be on the 32".

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, I'd suggest 8-9ft from the 42" or bump to the 50" if you want to sit back at 12ft. After spending about a month with my 42" I could easily see going to a 50" at the same distance (~9ft) without any problem.

You should keep your HD-DVR and run that into the Sony via DVI or component. The cablecard doesn't support two-way communication right now so you wouldn't get the interactive guide, Pay-Per-View, and OnDemand stuff. You're lucky to have all the major networks in HD from your cable provider...and an HD-DVR to record them all.

My suggestion was to keep the HD-DVR running to the Sony 42" for all your HD/digital needs and run a spint of the cable directly into the ANT input of the Sony 42" and use the internal analog tuner for all the analog channels...no cable card needed for this. I'd personally ditch the smaller set completely. There is no risk of burn-in (sidebars on 4:3 material) with the LCD RPTV so that's not a concern and 4:3 SD material, especially digital looks very good on the GWIV. You can use the TwinView feature to watch one station through your STB and another analog cable channel side by side with the ability to switch the audio from either and resize either. Another good reason to go for the 50"...more real estate for TwinView. I'm actually going to sell my 42" very soon and get either a 52" DLP or 55" XS series GWIV...the 42 was just to hold me over a few months since it was a free upgrade from Sony on my 40XBR800 warranty replacement. I wouldn't worry about bulb life...so you get an extra 6 months out of the original bulb...big deal...it will still need to be replaced before too long.

·
Registered
177 Posts
For the most part I'll second mostly everyone's response so far. I don't know much about your STB, but I found the PQ 42WE655's built in digital tuner to be much better than what the box provides. As I've posted in other threads...I have yet to see a tuner that does as well with analog SD as the built-in tuner does. Unlike some other posts...I'm not as happy with the digital SD I've seen so far (only had the TV for a couple weeks). But this may be a problem with the local broadcast station and how they're converting/compressing the SD for digital viewing.

I personally would use both your STB from Comcast and the Sony tuner side-by-side. Just split your cable from the wall and connect one with your STP/Recorder and the other to the Sony's Cable input. I'm still waiting for my CableCard (to be installed Friday), but at only an extra $2/month there is little additional cost. Eventually my STB (it's only digital and not HD) will go to the other T.V

With more than 12 feet of viewing distance, consider the 50 inch. I have the 42 inch mainly due to space limitations and wanting to make sure I have more options to how I arrange the furniture.

Cheers, Bryan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So by splitting the cable form the wall I should get a better picture on the Sony when viewing all non-HD channels through its own tuner vs. the Comcast DVR/HD box? Then just use the box when I want to watch Indemand PPV/Sports, On Demand programs, or use the DVR? This would eliminate the need for the Cablecard, or not? I didn't think the analog or digital channels quality would be any different no matter if I used the box or the Sony tuner. Also, how would the Sony know when I wanted to use the Comcast box to view content or DVR? I don't know, maybe I don't understand.:confused:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snatta
So by splitting the cable form the wall I should get a better picture on the Sony when viewing all non-HD channels through its own tuner vs. the Comcast DVR/HD box? Then just use the box when I want to watch Indemand PPV/Sports, On Demand programs, or use the DVR? This would eliminate the need for the Cablecard, or not? I didn't think the analog or digital channels quality would be any different no matter if I used the box or the Sony tuner. Also, how would the Sony know when I wanted to use the Comcast box to view content or DVR? I don't know, maybe I don't understand.:confused:
The possibilties of how you can connect your various devices is endless. Check out Sony's User guide starting on page 31 for examples:

http://www.sonystyle.com/intershopro...KDF42WE655.pdf

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I suggest using the STB for all digital and HD content (including On Demand and Pay Per View) and the internal tuner in the set for analog SD channels...no cable card required. Most digital STBs don't do very well with the analog channels (everything below 100).

Quote:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was also interested in the Sony KDF-42WE655 , but I opted for the KF-50WE610. It was only about $100 more. The HD tuner didn't interest me since I use an HD-PVR box(I also wouldn't use the cable card slot). For about the same price I got a bigger TV with about(if not) the same PQ. We'll see come Thursday.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read on another board that these new models are made in Mexico, and that last year's model were made in Japan. The person that posted this info wasn't to happy to find this out and thinks it will be a problem in the long run. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
I read on another board that these new models are made in Mexico, and that last year's model were made in Japan. The person that posted this info wasn't to happy to find this out and thinks it will be a problem in the long run. Any thoughts?
Problably no more of a problem than having your DVD players made in China and your computer monitors made in Korea. I assume Japanese companies are similar to American companies...build it where cheap labor can be found. I wouldn't be too concerned.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not too impressed. They couldn't show me anything but the promo package that they had looped on most of the screens. I asked to view analog, digital, and HD channels from the local cable company(Comcast), and they said they aren't connected to any cable sources. I found that hard to believe. How does someone pay over $2k when they can't view the channels they are getting the set to watch? When I went to Boscovs last week they were able to show me the sd analog feed from cable on the 34" Panny crt, so maybe it is the store or maybe they don't show cable feeds on the non-direct tube models.

The picture on the 655 was like watching a movie at the theater vs. the same movie on dvd at home on a direct tube crt. I actually thought the picture that I get on my 32" 4:3 crt was better than what I was seeing on the 655. The only advantage of the 655 was the extra wide screen viewing area. They had a clip from a Eddie Murphy movie on and it was very dark, and it was hard to see the difference between his dark clothes and the dark background area. The picture also seemed to be a tad bit blurry during the racing scence from the Stars Wars movie from a couple of years ago compared to my direct tube crt. I don't know what I am paying $2500 for, the picture quality didn't seem better. Maybe the feed they were showing wasn't HD, and maybe my digital and HD channels from Comcast will look better, but I really don't know.

I am still going to shop around to see if I can see the 655 model connected to Comcast cable, and am also going to look in to the 36" Sony HDTV Tube model.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I purchased a KDF-42WE655 last month to replace an 8 year old 36" tube TV - this is our 2nd HDTV. We already have a 2 year old Mits CRT PRTV so this set is more or less for everday use. I selected this set over Mits, Samsung and other DLPs for a variety of reasons and I was very happy with our choice. However, we exchanged this set for a KDF-50WE655 a week later. We sit 10-12 feet away and I thought the 42" would be fine for a second set....I was wrong. The 50" was a better choice for us and it only cost an additional $200.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.