AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my old SONY KDF50 rear projection set. Got a good life from it thanks to an extended warranty. I would like to use if for the XBOX360, but the reason it is retired is because of the long warmup and dark wavy lines across the screen. I'm curious if anyone things this can be easily/cheaply repaired? Pics attached.

· Registered
39 Posts
My first recommendation is to not sell the tv yet, that tv has grate audio & picture quality.

Second the problem seem to revolve around the digital video board or the DMD board, how ever to discard the DMD (the board that acts like the brain of the computer) pres the tv menu. If the menu is displayed perfectly with out those lines that its most definitely the video digital.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apologies for the delay, family emergency.

I did as suggested and indeed, the menu items, lettering for VIDEO2, etc. appear to be unaffected by the wavy lines. So are you saying it's a replace of the DMD board? Is this user replaceable (I am moderately comfortable inside electronics components).

· Registered
39 Posts
On the contrary if the menu was unaffected then it’s NOT the DMD board, in this case it’s the video digital bard that needs replacing. First inspect the board physically for any swollen capacitors from the top. Here are a few examples:

If you find any you’ll have to replace them, otherwise it will be necessary to buy a new board. Hope this helps.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanx - I realized after searching around I misread what you posted. I will attempt to take the set apart and identify the board and look for swollen caps. I looked on discount-merchant.com and it appears the board (many different model numbers) run about $140. Looking for dis-assembly instructions now...

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowell /forum/post/18145802

On the contrary if the menu was unaffected then it's NOT the DMD board, in this case it's the video digital bard that needs replacing.

If you find any you'll have to replace them, otherwise it will be necessary to buy a new board. Hope this helps.

Okay - apologies but I'm lost already. Model is actually a KF-50WE610, back panel is off and I've removed the board with the connections. I've found a service manual and they list several boards by a letter. In looking at the boards on discount-merchant it appears the digital video board would be a part starting with 1-689-372 or 1-689-269. When I look through the service manual all I see are the boards below, so I have no idea what to check.

A card - 373-11 - video RF tuner

AU - 1-689-374-11 - audio input/output

F - 1-689-380-11 Line filter

G1 - switch board

H1 - Key Input

H2 - power switch

H3 - video 2 input

HM - memory Stick

T - lamp door switch

U - 1-689-370-11 - audio input/output board

UD - 1-688-498-11 - DVI board

· Registered
39 Posts
If you’re going to buy a new board and you already have the part number, all you need is to compare the board physically, the one you took out of the tv set, with the one on the websites photos.

“If you find any you’ll have to replace them, otherwise it will be necessary to buy a new board.” – Here I was referring to replace any swollen capacitors if you found any on the actual board, and you could replace them with new ones, that is one option. Good luck.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi - thanx but that's my problem. I'm not sure which of the boards is the one that might have an issue and none of them that are listed in the service manual match the part number I see on the discount-merchant site. I really don't want to take apart the entire chassis hoping to find a board that matches what I see on a website if I can't find it listed in the service manual.

Sorry for making this more confusing than it should be, I'm not paying attention to what I am posting. I did take a board out but I think it's the U board which are just the connections.
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Pho...1164104001.jpg

The current connection is through a coax, but I had issues going through the component onnections as well. Are you suggesting that the board I need to replace is whatever board receiving the signal from the coax/component connections? Which would be the one I took out and show a link to the picture?

· Registered
39 Posts
The service manual dose not provide the actual part number of the board in your TV, it provides a schematic point of view on how the TV works and the component function. As for searching for the board, I’m sorry but you’ll have to take the TV apart or pay some one to do it for you.

The photo that you posted a link to: http://www.discount-merchant.com/Pho...1164104001.jpg is NOT a digital board, it’s probably a analog board, the one you need to replace is on of these:
http://www.discount-merchant.com/Sea...0WE610+digital

good luck.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx - I figure it'll cost more to have someone look at it and work it than buying a new 42 inch these days. So I'll dig in as you suggest and see what I see. Worse case is I ruin it and throw it away whih is where it was heading anyway. Thanx for the assist.

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would one of these boards explain why would it take 20 minutes or more for the picture to be visible/warm up? I'm just trying to figure out if there is one component I could try replacing that would give me a good chance of getting the TV functioning. Maybe the PS is interfering with the digital board?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.