Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

ive been a long time viewer here, but this is my first post. a few days ago i got the samsung 4266w DLP. Ive read good reviews about this tv and in the showroom it looked great on discovery HD. When i got the set home, i did a bit more reading up on the unit to find that it lacks some of the features of the 46" and above DLP sets, mainly the fine pitch screen. The biggest issue i have found is the SSE. I notice this on almost everything i watch on the DLP, i am going from a 34" sony to this, so i know there is some getting used to from a tube tv to a RP. I also started looking at the new sony a10 line and was pretty impressed with them. My question is, since i am so bothered by the SSE(silk screen effect), am i going to be unhappy if i exchange the TV for the 42" sony a10? What are people's general thoughts on these two models. RIght now i have analog cable, an winegard off air antenna to get HD, a sony dvd player running component, and a ps2 running component. The reason i went with the samsung is that i got it for $300 less than the sony, but would be willing to drop a little more if it were justifiable. Any recommendations as to which set would be best? my main concern right now is the SSE since i feel it is very noticable on the samsung. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got the 42 inch A10 a week ago, and I love it.

For your specific problem, however, I don't know if I can be of much help. I don't see the silk screen effect everyone talks about.

I don't know if its because the TV isn't affected by it, or that I don't really know what it is and so it does not bother me.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
If SSE is your number one factor, then I'd go for the Sammy DLP over the A10.

Rear-projection LCD, generally speaking, has a bigger problem with SSE than DLP.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I just got the 42A10 last week and the SSE was pretty noticeable for the first few days of using it. Now it's just something I notice occasionally and doesn't distract me as much. Moving back to an 8 foot viewing distance lessened the effect. At 7 feet or closer you see more SSE and SDE on the 42A10.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just got my 42A10 after deciding between it and the 42" Sammy DLP. I am very happy with the decision that I made.

It seems to have less of the SSE than the Samsung 42" had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so,

if i were to stick with the sammy dlp, is there a way to combat the sse? also, since the 42 doesn't have the fine pitch screen, how would the screen of the dlp compare with the sony screen?

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you put the two side by side, I think the A10 would be a slam dunk. I've spent a great deal of time looking at these sets over the last couple weeks. The A10 is the best screen I've seen so far, maybe even better than the E55A20 I just bought.

Screen door effect seems to vary a great deal based on the person. I view the A20 at about 9ft. and have no problem with SDE whatsoever. Others may have problems with it at 12ft.+. You have to see the sets yourself to make a good decision.

·
Registered
15,822 Posts
You need to spend some time in stores looking at the Sony before exchanging the DLP, or you'll be back here posting about yet another exchange. As posted above, LCDs have worse SSE than DLPs. I prefer DLP due to better blacks and more detail, but others prefer LCD due to better colors. The real question is which do you prefer?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timvanderlaan
Hi all,

ive been a long time viewer here, but this is my first post. a few days ago i got the samsung 4266w DLP. Ive read good reviews about this tv and in the showroom it looked great on discovery HD. When i got the set home, i did a bit more reading up on the unit to find that it lacks some of the features of the 46" and above DLP sets, mainly the fine pitch screen. The biggest issue i have found is the SSE. I notice this on almost everything i watch on the DLP, i am going from a 34" sony to this, so i know there is some getting used to from a tube tv to a RP. I also started looking at the new sony a10 line and was pretty impressed with them. My question is, since i am so bothered by the SSE(silk screen effect), am i going to be unhappy if i exchange the TV for the 42" sony a10? What are people's general thoughts on these two models. RIght now i have analog cable, an winegard off air antenna to get HD, a sony dvd player running component, and a ps2 running component. The reason i went with the samsung is that i got it for $300 less than the sony, but would be willing to drop a little more if it were justifiable. Any recommendations as to which set would be best? my main concern right now is the SSE since i feel it is very noticable on the samsung. Thanks!
I don't know where you read good reviews on this POS. It's just an awful set. Even confirmed Sam-A-Holics will tell you it is not very good. The Sony A10 on the other hand IS a very highly thought of display. Really a no-brainer to choose between these two displays. If you like DLP's it would certainly pay you to step up to the 46" HLR, which has much improved electronics, a much better screen, and a few other enhancements lacking on the 4266. What ever you do though - make sure you get out to two or three stores and examine potential buys so you won't be on a TV treadmill buying & returning sets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.