AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a TV that will fit in a 40" wide armoire. I am torn between the Sony KDF-E42A10 and the Samsung HL-R4266W. Ventilation in the armoire should not be much of a problem sinck I can remove a portion of the back of the armoire. I am buying strictly on size and price. My local shops don't have these models on display but they do have them in stock. They do have their larger siblings on display and the picture looks great for both sets. Has anyone seen these 2 sets side by side? Opinions please... Thank You!

~Sy-

·
Registered
688 Posts
My vote is for the Sony all the way. Rainbows bother me on DLP sets. I have not been impressed by the Samsung sets. The A10 has just as good blacks without the rainbow. A no brainer for me. Unfortunately comparing them in store is difficult due to various manufacturing settings.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom203r
Go with the sony its the better system.
I agree, go with the Sony. The Samsungs have to many well known issues such as audio delays and screen smudges. All DLP's suffer from rainbows as well.

LCD's have the screendoor effect, you have to decide which bothers you more.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy-
I need a TV that will fit in a 40" wide armoire. I am torn between the Sony KDF-E42A10 and the Samsung HL-R4266W. Ventilation in the armoire should not be much of a problem sinck I can remove a portion of the back of the armoire. I am buying strictly on size and price. My local shops don't have these models on display but they do have them in stock. They do have their larger siblings on display and the picture looks great for both sets. Has anyone seen these 2 sets side by side? Opinions please... Thank You!

~Sy-
This seems like Deja Vu all over again. Didn't someone just ask the exact same question? Wish all questions here were this easy. The Samsung HLR4266 is an awful set. Maybe the worst DLP produced this year. The Sony A10's are outstanding displays - so go with the Sony. If you REALLY want to go with a DLP, you'll have to make more room. The Samsung HLR 46" model has better and more enhanced electronics and a much better screen than the 42" model. All opinions here are based on the proviso that you DO have to go look at whatever display you're interested in before purchasing. This will save you grief afterwards....

·
Registered
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy-

~Sy-
My cabinet is 40 3/4" wide. I went with the A10. See my comments in the A10 thread.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just purchase one of these sets for my parents. They have a similar size issue with the set placement. So far, I really like the set. I currently own two other Sony units, a 60" GWII and last years 42" inch GWIV. I much prefer the chasis on this set over last years model.

As for PQ, its about the same as last years. I hooked it up to comcast HD cable and the HD looks nice. DVDs also seem good, with a low end player. I wasn't impressed with the mechanical iris function, I turend it off as it is somewhat annoying. I haven't had much time to tweak the set, but I think its a good value for the money and you can't beat the $$$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.