AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to go crazy if I read any more reviews this week. I was set on buying the kdfe-42a10 until I saw it today next to the EDTV plasmas. Black levels are a big thing for me and the plasmas looked better to me, but the sony was uncalibrated and the store was bright. The lcd I'm typing on right now almost went back to the store due to black levels but I've gotten use to it. (I use 1000:1 Dell monitors at work, this is a 600:1 LG) I'll be viewing this tv from 8-9 feet away and I'll definitely be getting a 42". Lets say these two tv's are the same price, which is about right (nevermind needing a stand and dvi blade for the plasma), and they both are arugueably the best bang for your buck within their respective technology. Wall mount doesnt matter as both of these will fit into my entertainment center. Primary use will be watching HBO and Discovery in HD, and DVD's. Some but limited SD viewing. I understand the caveats of both technologies, my only concern is the best looking picture. Any advice? Also I don't need a tuner or speakers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo1287
I'm going to go crazy if I read any more reviews this week. I was set on buying the kdfe-42a10 until I saw it today next to the EDTV plasmas. Black levels are a big thing for me and the plasmas looked better to me, but the sony was uncalibrated and the store was bright. The lcd I'm typing on right now almost went back to the store due to black levels but I've gotten use to it. (I use 1000:1 Dell monitors at work, this is a 600:1 LG) I'll be viewing this tv from 8-9 feet away and I'll definitely be getting a 42". Lets say these two tv's are the same price, which is about right (nevermind needing a stand and dvi blade for the plasma), and they both are arugueably the best bang for your buck within their respective technology. Wall mount doesnt matter as both of these will fit into my entertainment center. Primary use will be watching HBO and Discovery in HD, and DVD's. Some but limited SD viewing. I understand the caveats of both technologies, my only concern is the best looking picture. Any advice? Also I don't need a tuner or speakers.
I honestly think EDTV's is a big waste of cash...

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
First of all, do not get an EDTV. If you want a Panny plasma wait till the end of the month, they are drastically cutting prices on the HD's (42PX50U will be $2499). The EDTV's have to scale down HD programs to DVD resolution. The Sony is true hi-def at 1280x720 (i know it's not 1080P so sue me). I am just about ready to purchase the A10 but waiting a bit longer to see just how far the Panny plasmas are coming down in price. The Panny 7UY HD industrial model is getting close to $2000 now, these babies put the consumer plasmas to shame. My choice would be the A10 or the 7UY HD plasma. August 28th is supposed to be the day of the $500-$1000 price drop which of course means the stores will have it even less soon after.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the HD Panasonic plasmas have poorer looking black levels than the EDTV's? I noticed the contrast ratio on the consumer Panasonics was on the HD 3000:1 vs 4000:1 on the edtvs. Also I should have mentioned that I really don't watch much tv at all, just dvd's, and I'm seeing a lot of people saying the edtv is better is better for dvd's, I would imagine dvd's are going to look the same on the hd plasmas? I wasn't planning on buying until the end of the month anyway, but I still wan't to spend less than $2000. If they are cutting the prices of the HD plasmas by $500 to $1000 do you think they'll be cutting the EDTV prices as well? If they offer the TH-42PWD8UK for $1200 or something around there I'll be all over it, and buy a new one when the HDTV technology matures. Also is there any reason I should even consider the Sony RPLCD?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Do the HD Panasonic plasmas have poorer looking black levels than the EDTV's? I noticed the contrast ratio on the consumer Panasonics was on the HD 3000:1 vs 4000:1 on the edtvs. Also I should have mentioned that I really don't watch much tv at all, just dvd's, and I'm seeing a lot of people saying the edtv is better is better for dvd's, I would imagine dvd's are going to look the same on the hd plasmas? I wasn't planning on buying until the end of the month anyway, but I still wan't to spend less than $2000. If they are cutting the prices of the HD plasmas by $500 to $1000 do you think they'll be cutting the EDTV prices as well? If they offer the TH-42PWD8UK for $1200 or something around there I'll be all over it, and buy a new one when the HDTV technology matures. Also is there any reason I should even consider the Sony RPLCD?
I would say the HD Panny's have better blacks.

If you only watch DVD's and some SD programs i suppose the EDTV would be fine, but what if later on you change your program habits?

The 42" EDTV is supposed to be $1999, so that would fit in your range.

As far as the Sony, this TV is a more future proof set than an EDTV. 1280x720 resolution, PC input, 3 component, HDMI, uses less power, dynamic iris feature which opens and closes for better contrast. It seems like, budget wise, you would still have to buy an EDTV, even after the price drop, or the Sony, which could be had for around $1899. In my case i will buy the Panny PX50U if/when it goes to $2499 (although i would need to figure a way to connect the PC, perhaps a DVI/HDMI connection?), or the Sony. I loved the picture on the Sony.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I see some complaints about SD quality on the Sony rplcd, and the tv I have now does a phenominal job on SD/digital cable. (4yr old Panasonic 4:3 27") I'm not willing to sacrifice the SD quality because I do tend to watch a lot of the digital cable movie channels which are still SD. So I guess my decision is that I'd rather have a tv that performed great at everything, than one that is a little better with HD and crap on SD. So plasma it is. Can someone tell me how SD looks on a Panasonic HD plasma compared to a Panasonic EDTV plasma? I may even just get the 37" Panasonic EDTV that way I'll save money, and know for sure that I won't be able to tell the difference between it and the HD model at 8.5 feet. When I was looking at the 42a10 in the store there was an Panasonic HD 37" close by, I immediatly saw a huge difference and walked over to it, then I saw the price tag :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm also in the market for a 42" RPLCD, and I recently became very interested in the Sony, after looking at the limited offerings in DLPs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
August 28th is supposed to be the day of the $500-$1000 price drop which of course means the stores will have it even less soon after.
Looks like those discounts are already here, Circuit City is running $300 mail in rebates on all the panasonic plasmas, and it ends on the 27th. So expect the price of consumer Panasonics to drop by $300 on or shortly after the 28th. With any luck the commercial models will also drop by $300.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mondo,

Search the Plasma forum for R Harkness. Click on the link to see the gallery of screen shots of DVDs on his Panny plasma.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
First of all, do not get an EDTV..
Lipcrkr, this advice is in direct contrast with at least a dozen users who have both HD and ED plasma units. :) They all seem to be in consensus that the whole reolution issue is over-hyped, one should buy the ED and pocket the savings. (See for example, user comments in "Lessons I have learned as a newbie shopping for a new TV" thread under plasmas). The CNET editors compared all plasmas (ED and HD) gave their highest ratings to an EDTV unit last year. My understanding is that current HD signals look good in both HD and ED units, the slightly higher resolution of the HDs being imperceptible at 7-feet or beyond. SD is clearly better in the ED units. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
As far as the Sony, this TV is a more future proof set than an EDTV.
Could you please elaborate, :confused: higher resolutions in specs does not seem to translate to perceptible PQ.

Also, with 17W power draw in standby mode, is the A10 really significantly lower in overall power consumption than plasmas (less than 1W in standby)? :confused:

Agree with you that the A10 picture is quite good. Was leaning towards one, but now am not so sure... :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
the TH-42PWD7UY can be had for less than $1700. looks like a great model! However I would sure like OTA hdtv to be picked up but it has no tuner built in correct? :(

i'm a newb so can't post a link lol

·
Registered
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuki
the TH-42PWD7UY can be had for less than $1700. looks like a great model! However I would sure like OTA hdtv to be picked up but it has no tuner built in correct? :(

i'm a newb so can't post a link lol
Correct. This is a commercial unit, and these do not have tuners. You may want a Panny consumer unit such as TH-42PD50U which I think does.

Also the 7 in the model number of the commercial unit stands for 7th gen, I'm told. The 8th gen is out (TH-42PD50U).

Check out the Panasonic Plasma FAQ thread in this forum. There's lots of info & comparisons on models and features.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had to see the Sony 42A10 in person, so I stopped at Circuit City after work today, and luckily they had one on display. It was right next to the latest 44" Panny RPLCD and the 42" Samsung HLR DLP. Right away, I saw some PQ issues that people have mentioned about the 42" HLR. I liked the Sony's picture a lot, and it looked extremely good with an SD feed, much better than the Panasonic handled it. The best part was that I got quoted a price for the 42A10 that was less than the Panny, almost matching the best online price I had found. If the price is real then I'm definitely going to pick one up before football season starts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.