AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts or advice. I had a Sony kdl-32bx300 on a wall in my house. Lightening struck a tree nearby. Luckily, only 2 things seem to have been messed up, a HDMI splitter and this TV.

The TV will not power on at all, the light on the front doesnt light up any color. I have removed it from the wall and tried multiple known working outlets. Could it just be the cord, which is built into the tv, and is there anyway to test that?

I am 1 month outside the 1-year warranty. A new one is about $300.

Is it worth trying to replace the power-supply? Any instructions online to do so, I have not been able to locate?

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
897 Posts
A lightning surge failure generally blows the fuse or circuit breaker after destroying the input components to the power supply. When this occurs there isn't any connection between the terminals on the AC cord so the cord isn't testable but that is the least likely component to fail. A skilled technician can often repair the power board as I have done a couple of times. Nobody recommends warranty's but despite my electronic skills I often add one if the cost is less that 5% per extended year and from a reputable source.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcolom1 /forum/post/20810194

Anyone have any thoughts or advice. I had a Sony kdl-32bx300 on a wall in my house. Lightening struck a tree nearby. Luckily, only 2 things seem to have been messed up, a HDMI splitter and this TV.

The TV will not power on at all, the light on the front doesnt light up any color. I have removed it from the wall and tried multiple known working outlets. Could it just be the cord, which is built into the tv, and is there anyway to test that?

I am 1 month outside the 1-year warranty. A new one is about $300.

Is it worth trying to replace the power-supply? Any instructions online to do so, I have not been able to locate?

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Yank out the power board and check for blown or bulging capacitors and replace as necessary (requires inexpensive capacitors and soldering skills). Or get a new power board (from eBay). Shouldn't cost more than $50-60 for parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.