AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to this TV from a LG 37CS570 (Even though I bought the LG about 6 months ago) because whenever I played 1080/24p BluRays the the motions of characters on screen would create a blury ghosty trail, now when I set by player for 1080/60p the ghosting went away.

I went and bought the Sony because it said it had 24p True Cinema mode. Now whenever I play Blu Rays in 24p the ghosting is gone and the image looks great, the judder seems to be extremely low if non existent.

Now how is that, my new Sony does that much better with 24p movies than the LG? (Seeing as how they are both 60Hz TV's) How does this 24p True Cinema mode actually work? Is is just 2:3 pulldown? Or is it something else?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Not sure about your question but I have a cs570 and there is a blur with motion on sports.

How is the motion blur/ghosting for sports on that tv?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I honestly see no ghosting on anything with the new TV, the only time I saw ghosting/blur on my old LG was when I fed it a 1080/24p source which also had alot of judder.

The question I am asking is why is the Sony significant better at handing 24p source compared to the LG when they are both 60hz TV's?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Sony defaults to 1080p/24 when connected via HDMI (per the manual) - the Samsung, for example, while it has it as an option, is not the default.

I thought I'd stick this in because we just bought two 40" LED HDTVs (mine is the same Sony model you referenced in this thread, while Mom's is the Samsung UN40EH5003F smart HDTV). Neither one is in a final setup (the Samsung is connected to an SD cable box, which an HD box will replace - my Sony is connected to cable and is getting channels via ClearQAM; a Tivo Premiere will replace that at some point). Both, however, have excellent PQ given their sources (the Sony, in fact, replaced a Philips 42PF7320A/37A "plasma" and at the same resolution, plasma gets killed by LED - no ifs, and, or buts).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts