AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my sony lcd tv. At first, I realized that the picture shows horizontal black lines divided at about a quarter inch intervals. The black line fades as it approaches the right side of the screen. The lines don't cause a shadow, but it seems to reduce significantly the definition.

The line issue arrived simultaneously with a power reset issue. It just turns off with no sound, and turns on about two to five seconds later. No blinking of the green power button, nor is there a change of color. While I was writing this, it momentarily turned gray with snow but immediately went back to "normal." This is a new symptom, so I don't know if it is a one time thing or not.

Please let me know where to start. Since it doesn't blink, it seems to be different than other issues. Could this be a power supply board problem? Please tell me it is not a bad display. I purchased this back in Oct 2009. Tried to reset the tv, but nothing.

Please help. Photos attached. Not noticeable enough if I take a pic of the entire screen.

Left side of the screen

Right side of the screen. (This is how the left side of the screen should look like)

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi there -

Just developed the SAME exact issue here. Called SONY (since the TV is only 4-1/2 years old and I've got flat panel LCD TVs from 2005-06 and they have NO problems) and was told to send it in for a repair. I did update the firmware, but that didn't help (with the picture problem -- did help with the dropping out of sound). Stay tuned.

J in SF

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got the same problem with the kdl 46v5100 developing very thin black horizontal lines across left side of screen and get lighter to the right .does any1 have an idea what it could be?noticed them day after a couple of power outages during a storm.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
This is common on these models. Unfortunately these symptoms indicate Tab Bond failure on the LCD Display Panel. There is a DIY "fix" but it's not 100% and Tv repair shops will not even attempt it. If the DIY fix doesn't work then your only hope is to contact Sony Customer relations. Even though the Tv is far out of warranty, if you are patient, polite, and put up with red tape/delays then there is a chance you can get a discount on another Sony product (usually a refurb).

Sony Tab Bond Videos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive noticed that usually when its a tab bond issue the picture is very distorted which is not my case ...they are barley noticeable and stationary black thin lines.is there a way to find out if its the tcon board

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
No there is not any test to determine (except replacing the tcon board) but since the lines go "across left side of screen and get lighter to the right" then it is not likely tcon. Usually In tcon failure, you would see a hard delineation right down the center of the picture (one side bad/one side good). Tcon board has different symptoms- usually vertical lines or EXACTLY one half of the picture is distorted/black/vertical lines or whole picture is solarized.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts