AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planning on returning my Sony 46XBR9 LCD back to the store because it has clouding issues and its too big for my bedroom. I'm thinking of getting the Panny TC-P42S1 at Costco and I would like few things on it.

1. Is it safe to play PS3 games on the plasma?

2. Will it offer better pq than my Sony 46XBR9?

3. Is it true that Plasma consume less power than a LCD?

4. Can I run movies that have an aspect ratio of 2.35.1 without zooming it to full screen within the 100 hours breakin period?

·
Registered
362 Posts
You can play all the games you want on the plasma, but wait until it's broken in. I recommend the 120 break in with the slides as mentioned in the 12g thread. I did and and I have no IR.

I think plasma has a better image than LCD, but that is only my opinion. i think the motion is smoother, and the viewing angle is much greater.

On average plasma will use a little more power than LCD but not by much. Plasma modulates it's power use, less on dark scenes more on bright. Most LCDs have the bulbs running regardless of picture needs, local dimming helps this a bit, but that is on high end units.

As for viewing during the break in period, yes you can watch wide screen movies but I would keep it to the minimum. Again, I ran the slides for 24/7 for 5 days and got the period over with quickly. If this is your first HD unit I can see where you might want to watch it, so do so but still run the slides...

·
Registered
91 Posts
I ran the break-in slides with my 42" G10, but did watch a few widescreen (black bars) dvds before the 100 or so hours were up and saw no IR. I got mine just for fps gaming (very low lag, esp compared to 120hz models) so games not a problem...but if you go with the G10/G15, it has the sd card slot, so its easy to run the slides while at work/sleep, ect. I would recommend doing it before gaming and movie watching is started.

Check the "The Official Panasonic 12G Settings/Issues Thread" is a G-series or other new Panny is purchased for more info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts