AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, sorry in advance for this type of vs thread if it is against the rules (mods delete if so) - but I just wanted to get some opinions from you knowledgeable people out there as fast as possible. I need to pick one of these two panels by Monday, because I'm getting one of them as a warranty replacment for a Philips 52" that died. I did some very quick specs checking, the only thing that stands out to me is that the Sony is 120hz and the Samsung is 60hz.

I'm looking for overall best PQ, features, and if possible gamer friendly (low HDMI input lag, PS3)

Obviously I'll be scouring any/all threads on both of these panels after I hit "submit" so I'll be doing some research on my own, but since I'm on kind of a tight timeframe for deciding I'd appreciate the expertise.

Thanks very much for looking.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I've got the B550 in the 40" flavor and a 52" W4100 (V5100 predecessor) and the PQ of the Sony is better than the Sammy, especially with SD programming. Now, the Sammy does a great job with SD from the major networks like ABC, CBS, Fox, etc., but it struggles with SD on TNT, USA, FX and the like.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. It would seem from the comments in various threads here that this particular Sony's PQ is superior to this particular Samsung's...

I'm still scouring threads and reading through the (very long) "official" owner's threads, each seems to have its pros and cons - I'm curious about the 120hz though.. my dead Philips was a 60hz...

And.. does nobody put a freaking headphone jack on their sets anymore? I don't have a receiver so I relied on the headphone jack for late night gaming.. grr...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright guys here's another twist. I spoke with the warranty service rep again, and I was told that if I had another TV in mind they could try to find it for me. I am thinking that the 2008 model LN52A630 is more my speed but I don't know that they'd be able to get me a 2008 model since they're no longer being produced, and even searching online its tough to find retailers carrying this model.

So...are there any 2009 models roughly in the retail price range of the KDL-52V5100 and LN52B550 that could be recommended with great PQ, matte screen (basically rules out many of the higher end samsungs), and low input lag? Otherwise I'll probably end up going with the Sony...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts