AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony KDL-52W4100 52" LCD thats about 2 years old. Recently it developed a problem with the display, there are 6 horizontal lines with garbled pixels, 3 about 6 inches long and 3 about 3 inches. Pics below. The lines are there regardless of source (hdmi DVR, coax, component DVD, etc). Any idea what has caused this and how to repair it? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I feel your pain G-Best! Had same problem at 2yrs and 6 weeks. My extended warranty ended at 2yrs. Problem will get worse. Mine started with a few lines exactly like your pictures and within a month or two I have a 4x6 inch box of a grid of lines like that both vertical and horizontal - right in the middle of the screen. And another on the right side. I just took it in for service and they called me back with an estimate - $3,000. Ouch! Obviously more than I paid for it. I'll pick up the TV this week and get more details on the problem parts. I'm going to try to call Sony's customer service and complain. Nice to know I'm not alone. Msg me with your phone or email if you want to conference in on the phone call.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It turns out the problem was the T-Con board. I bought one from Sony for around $260 and replaced it. The TV looks great so far. Sony matches the board to your serial number apparently for better picture quality.

My guess is there was some overheating issues with the two large IC's on the board. They are attached to the heat sink using a ~1/8" thick thermal pad which I don't think transfers heat very well. Looking close at one of them I noticed the imprint of what might have been an air bubble trapped between the pad and chip which would further reduce heat transfer. When I put the new part in I carefully rolled the pad onto the chip from one end hopefully preventing any air from being trapped in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the update GBest. I got mine back and they said it was a BU Board (PN 1-1547-091-a) and the LCD Panel (1-802-672-11). Originally they mentioned the T-Con board but then changed to the LCD panel. Hmm.

After talking to customer service at Sony they won't make any determination until they get the word from the local Sony guy and I hadn't used an authorized repair shop. So I planned on taking it in to them - they also mentioned that it sounded like a Tcon board.

How tough was the replacement? I've built computers but I've never had the inclination to open up my tv. Sounds a lot like putting the CPU heatsink in a PC? Does the thermal pad come with the part?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/19640705

How tough was the replacement? I've built computers but I've never had the inclination to open up my tv. Sounds a lot like putting the CPU heatsink in a PC? Does the thermal pad come with the part?

It wasn't that tough. A bunch of screws indicated by arrows holds on the back panel. For the 52w4100 at the top center on the backside of the TV there is the T-Con and a foil shield that needs to be pulled back (it has adhesive) which exposes 4 ribbon cables that go from the T-Con to the panel. Just flip up the lock on each of those connectors and they slide out easily. There were I think 2 other cables, one from the input board which comes out by pushing in the sides to unlatch it, the other I think just unplugs. Once the screws were out for the T-Con the heat sink pulls apart from the board...the thermal pads are somewhat sticky and hold it together. Notice which chips have pads so they go back on the correct chips. I think there was about 4 pads for this model. When reassembling make sure there is no air trapped under the thermal pads between them and the chips. Be careful with the pads they can tear easy. No thermal pads came with the T-Con I got from Sony. Make sure to lock the ribbon cables by flipping the plastic bar back once the cables are in all the way. As with computers make sure you have no static charge when working around the electronics.

btw Sony called the T-Con board a "CONTROL MT BOARD" on the invoice. Some also call it a logic board it seems.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBest /forum/post/19641306

It wasn't that tough. A bunch of screws indicated by arrows holds on the back panel. For the 52w4100 at the top center on the backside of the TV there is the T-Con and a foil shield that needs to be pulled back (it has adhesive) which exposes 4 ribbon cables that go from the T-Con to the panel. Just flip up the lock on each of those connectors and they slide out easily. There were I think 2 other cables, one from the input board which comes out by pushing in the sides to unlatch it, the other I think just unplugs. Once the screws were out for the T-Con the heat sink pulls apart from the board...the thermal pads are somewhat sticky and hold it together. Notice which chips have pads so they go back on the correct chips. I think there was about 4 pads for this model. When reassembling make sure there is no air trapped under the thermal pads between them and the chips. Be careful with the pads they can tear easy. No thermal pads came with the T-Con I got from Sony. Make sure to lock the ribbon cables by flipping the plastic bar back once the cables are in all the way. As with computers make sure you have no static charge when working around the electronics.

btw Sony called the T-Con board a "CONTROL MT BOARD" on the invoice. Some also call it a logic board it seems.

Can you please let me know where you got this part? Perhaps a part number? I have the same lines problem with my KDL-52W4100. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Sony's MT board needed to be replaced. I had the TV for 1 year and about 4 or 5 months before the screen started looking greenish and then started getting dark.

I told Sony about the issue and they looked at the TV. They said the problem was the MT board and needed to be replaced and it would cost $250.

Does anyone know why this happened? Is it just a wear and tear issue? Can I do something to prevent this from happening in the future? Like just watching the TV once a week?!!

Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts