AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm having an issue with my beloved LCD. I've had it serviced twice, and before I make the call again, I'd really like to know if this is related to the board or the LCD screen.

This TV was absolutely stunning out of the box on the "Standard" setting. The picture was so balanced and clear (to my untrained eyes, at least) that it had a realism and depth like I've never seen. I never felt a need to calibrate it. However, I needed to get it serviced due to a randomly occurring pink vertical line through the middle of the screen.

The service technician replaced the board and the LCD panel for me. The pink line is gone. However, now the set needs SIGNIFICANT calibration to get anywhere near the picture quality I had before. I've fiddled with it for hours upon hours, and while I can get it pretty close, the amazing clarity and realism is gone.

How is it possible that the picture varies so drastically before and after servicing?

The guy came back and replaced the board again, but it still has the same issue. So my question is: is there any way this could be caused by the LCD panel itself? The one he gave me was a refurb, which doesn't sit right with me. Should I insist on a new panel this time? Any advice you can give is appreciated.

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Could you explain to me technically what causes the loss in picture quality? They will (of course) tell me that the replacement is "equal or better quality", so I need some information I can fight back with.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Ya, I'd like to hear the technical reason why a replacement panel is not the same as an original. How do you know if Sony is even using "refurbished" panels? I've never seen any evidence that any replacement panel is anything other than new from the factory. You would think a refurbished panel would have physical signs like tiny scratches on the frame, left over marks from original stickers, etc.

The Tcon board is part of the Sony panel. The tech probably replaced the "Main" along with the panel, it is required to do so on some models.

I've replaced hundreds of panels and unless there is an immediate problem like severe color shading or vertical lines, the Tv is gonna have the same picture quality as the original. This is a very subjective complaint and usually any perceived difference in picture quality is in the owner's imagination (for lack of a better word). Unless a tech can verify some visual anomaly Sony probably won't authorize another replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Extreme_Boky, unfortunately I don't know. It was a large board, about the size of a mini-ATX.

hammerdwn, the tech told me straight up that it was refurbished. The box he emerged it from said "refurbished" on it. It had minor scratches around the frame and major smudges on the screen.

Anyway, refurbished or not: I'd like to know why the replacement requires severe calibration to resemble the "Standard" setting on the original. That's a valid question.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifekid42 /forum/post/16846972

...It had minor scratches around the frame and major smudges on the screen...

That's unacceptable! I would have told him to leave and come back with a panel that didn't have "major smudges on the screen". I have never seen such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifekid42 /forum/post/16846972

...I'd like to know why the replacement requires severe calibration to resemble the "Standard" setting on the original. That's a valid question.

There's a whole list of things that make the question subjective. Each persons eyes are not the same. Lighting conditions in the room change depending on time of day or Tv's get moved to different areas. Source devices can change from things like firmware updates... Etc. You would have to place two panels side by side playing from the same source device and the same scene or test pattern to make a valid comparison.

·
Banned
1,244 Posts
Well, refurbished simply means the television was returned to the manufacturer for one reason or another and now has been fixed up and is working and sellable again. Sorry I didn't explain it enough, but I'm not saying ALL refurbished are of lesser quality - but the chances are they can.

I've read many posts throughout this forum when someone get's there LCD panel replaced and notice the inferior picture quality the experience. I've just come to a point that the panels they replace are definitely refurbished or some kind. If it is new, why are people seeing difference in quality? It could be something else like the board which is another important part to producing picture.

Plus, it also depends on what manufacturer you get. Samsung has a poor quality control over their television since they use 3 different types of panels for one model, and each panel is different from one another. Sony only uses one, which is a good thing
The B650 for instance has S (Samsung panel), AUO panel and CN panels, best to least respectively. The likelihood of getting it replaced with a S panel is unlikely because they would most likely give you a AUO or CN panel. Why? Because it saves them money and has all kinds of benefits to them - except for the consumer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.