AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been a long time visitor of the AVS Forum, and really respect the advice that is shared here.

I was hoping for a bit of help. My Sony TV of 2 years just started to show pretty significant image distortion for the first 30 minutes of "warm-up" and then the problem disappears. I'm worried that this problem will get worse.

The problem appears to be 3 colorless/silver horizontal lines, and the left 1/3rd of the screen has serious ghosting/duplicate images vertically.

Attached is a picture. Does anyone know what this could be?

I purchased this TV off of Amazon for close to $3k, I am really frustrated.

There is some hope I think, since according to this thread (sorry too new to post links, but it was titled "Sony KDL-46XBR4 Panel Problem "), Sony is extending warranties until September 30 2012. This is for the kdl-46xbr4 model, but I think it's fair to assume they would cover the same product line in the larger size, which is what i have.
Should I go back to Amazon to resolve this, or go straight to Sony?

Would love some advice here on how I can get this fixed or get a replacement.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Unless you bought an extended warranty through Amazon they won't be much help. You'll have to go through Sony. Most likely they'll offer you a new model at a significantly reduced cost. I'm glad I dumped my 46XBR4 when I did. The XBR4 series has turned out to be quite a mess.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a 32" XBR1 that has one horizontal line across the center of the screen, that largely goes away after 30 minutes. I don't have the other issues that you have.

My set is in the repair shop now and I hope to hear back next week about it. I did have the extended warranty luckily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great photo of what my KDL-46XBR4 is doing only it's on the right side. Checked the Sony site and they have a notice that if you have it fixed by 3/31/2010 they will reimburse for parts, labor and evaluation expense. Going to call the recommended local repair shop tomorrow and get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are lucky since Sony in USA will repair this in extended warranty.

I have a same EU model of the XBR4, called here KDL 46x3500. I was trying to settle my similar LCD problem with Sony for 3 month now but they just repeating that the TV is out of warranty. It was 15 month old when the problem has started.

Here is a video of the problem:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQBBKe2pso

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Those XBR4's have well documented panel problem. Reputable company like Sony should recall these models and replace all the panels for free.

I can't believe Sony decided to use tab bonds on their LCD panels.... this technology had issues from its incarnation two decades ago. I remember fixing calculators with NEC tubes / displays exhibiting the same technology and suffering same problem. That was 20 years ago.

Boky

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same situation as yourself. Looking for the solution I came across here and I'm glad to see this is a wide problem that Sony needs to fix.

Your picture shows exactly what is going on. Takes some time to warm up and the issue goes away. Seems to me like Sony dropped the ball on this one and they will need to work with customers to make things right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem with my KDL46V3000, I only had the TV under 2 years, I did have an extended warranty through my local Sony Style store, the tech came out and said I needed a new video processor which was free under the extended warranty and told me without it would have been around $700

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky /forum/post/18345211

Those XBR4's have well documented panel problem. Reputable company like Sony should recall these models and replace all the panels for free.

I can't believe Sony decided to use tab bonds on their LCD panels.... this technology had issues from its incarnation two decades ago. I remember fixing calculators with NEC tubes / displays exhibiting the same technology and suffering same problem. That was 20 years ago.

Boky

Everyone used tab bonding, not just Sony. The process is still used to this day.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4tvhelp /forum/post/18262184

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time visitor of the AVS Forum, and really respect the advice that is shared here.

I was hoping for a bit of help. My Sony TV of 2 years just started to show pretty significant image distortion for the first 30 minutes of "warm-up" and then the problem disappears. I'm worried that this problem will get worse.

The problem appears to be 3 colorless/silver horizontal lines, and the left 1/3rd of the screen has serious ghosting/duplicate images vertically.

Attached is a picture. Does anyone know what this could be?

I purchased this TV off of Amazon for close to $3k, I am really frustrated.

There is some hope I think, since according to this thread (sorry too new to post links, but it was titled "Sony KDL-46XBR4 Panel Problem "), Sony is extending warranties until September 30 2012. This is for the kdl-46xbr4 model, but I think it's fair to assume they would cover the same product line in the larger size, which is what i have.
Should I go back to Amazon to resolve this, or go straight to Sony?

Would love some advice here on how I can get this fixed or get a replacement.

Unfortunately, the 52 and 46 have different panel structures. Have you tried gently pulling on the upper left corner when the lines are there to see if they go away? If they do then you will need a new panel.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by display veteran /forum/post/18408248

Everyone used tab bonding, not just Sony. The process is still used to this day.

You and your statements.... again...

"Probably the weakest element in an ordinary display is the Tape Automated Bonding (TAB) bond, and this process eliminates that bond".

Boky

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

My tv (KDL52XBR4) recently started having exactly this problem.

I looked at the Sony product site, but I didn't see the information that ggood mentioned (and I'd be past that deadline anyway).

Are there any useful links/resources for getting this taken care of? I bought the extended warranty, but if they ask me to bring it into the store then I might just go with a repair contractor instead. Any chance of getting Sony to pony up on the grounds that it's a manufacturing defect?

Thanks!

Nathan

·
Registered
9 Posts
FWIW, here's my experience:

I called the company my extended warranty was through. They tried to deal with Sony to get a replacement due to the quasi-recall, but that failed. Then they sent a repair contractor out. Thankfully I was able to reproduce the problem while he was present, and he said that it would require a full panel replacement. The company opted for full unit replacement instead, so now I have a KDL EX700 in my living room instead. It required very little effort on my part, though I imagine depending on the company your warranty is through, your mileage may vary. I bought my TV from hh gregg.

avargasp, since you have no warranty to void, one thing you might try is to disassemble the TV and check the ribbon cables which plug into the panel to make sure they're seated properly. I chatted with the technician for a while, and he said that sometimes when the panel heats up, this can cause the seat for the connectors to expand, which causes the connector itself to become loose, leading to the problem we're seeing. These cables are supposed to be sort of clamped in there by tabs, but these tabs can become loose (I believe since they're made of metal and metal has different thermal expansion properties from plastic). He said the first thing he would try is gluing a rubber stopper to the back of the cable and then putting the case back on such that the case was physically pushing the cable into the socket and holding it in place. I don't know if this will improve the problem or not, but you have nothing to lose except an hour or two of your time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts