AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find any information on this in the forums and I was hoping someone could give me some guidance. Reviews are pretty good, but there are some complaints about bleed through with some reviewers.

Anyone have experience with it? I'm looking to get one, but I am a little hesitant until I see some input on it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sony 65W950B

I can't seem to find any information on this in the forums and I was hoping someone could give me some guidance. Reviews are pretty good, but there are some complaints about bleed through with some reviewers.

Anyone have experience with it? I'm looking to get one, but I am a little hesitant until I see some input on it.

I had the chance to look at it in detail at a store this weekend and it looked very good. Had better colors and great detail than the W850A. The blacks were not as inky black like the w850A but still very good. Saw the TV in a darken room and had a chance to play with the controls. The letterbox black bars look very black and the night scenes looked dark, they were not dark gray but black. Sony this year is using on alot of their TV's (4K and 1080P) an IPS panel from LG which is known for their great colors, brightness, better viewing angel but have a lesser contrast and blacks when compared to the SP-VA panels previously used by SONY. Sony is using a special circuit called X-Tend Dynamic Range to enhance the brightness and blacks (contrast) which offers an overall great picture. Sony had a lot of problems with the SP-VA panels from Samsung in the past with panels and maybe this will be the resolution. They will sell alot of these sets based on the great natural picture it produces.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am buying this television tomorrow. I'll give you my thoughts after I have some experience with it. I had the w850b in my home for a few weeks but returned it due to motion blur. I'm hoping this set will be better. If not, what ever. I'll just wait 2 to 3 years for 4K to be perfected and less-expensive.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Did you buy one? If so, any thoughts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I brought the television home the other day. The black levels are the glaring issue with this television. Reflection is pretty bad as well. Definitely not pleased. I'm pretty sad about this whole thing. I tried the Sony w840b, the Samsung 7150, the Samsung 6350 and now this television. This one is definitely the worst of the bunch. Should've listened to those guys over at Rtings!

Going to go see if I can find myself a w850b because the w840b was the best of the batch except for the motion blur and the w850b as a better processor in that regard.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I ignored other people's advice regarding buying this television (w950b) and now I certainly regret ignoring the advice. The black levels on this television make watching movies nearly unbearable. Anything bright is fantastic but forget watching dark movies/TV shows. The contrast is ridiculously horrible. I don't know what they were thinking when they put this one together with an IPS panel. Off angle viewing is amazing so if you just watch sports or the news, the television may be a good choice for you. But if you enjoy watching any content that has dark/nighttime scenes, forget it! Its awful.

Also, in regards to reflection, I have a lamp in my room and when it reflects it creates a rainbow effect that Spears off in 4 directions like an X. Even having a candle lit will cause this kind of reflection. It's very distracting.

Never buy this TV if you care about black levels.

Also, let it be known that I am not trying to slam Sony. I really really really wanted to like this television. I just can't do to these issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts