AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and can only find 2 threads that make a passing mention of this 2010 LCD, EX308. I think this is a significant model in Sony's 2010 lineup because it is priced just barely over the BX300 (yet has a lot more features) and is a bit less than the EX400 (yet has a lot more features, but lower resolution). But lots of us don't care about 720p at the 32" size. In other words, for a bedroom set, I think most folks may want to be looking at the EX308 instead of the EX400. The only question is how do the EX308 and EX400 compare in PQ. If the EX400 is significantly better PQ, then the lack of other features may be a non-issue.

Link to product page at Sony

Other than being 720p and having a lower dynamic contrast ratio (which may not mean much IRL), this set has more/better features than the more expensive 32" EX400.

For example, the EX308 has:

- Bravia 3

- WiFi

- Ethernet

- DLNA

- Bravia Internet widgets

The EX400 doesn't have any of these features and has the Bravia 2 engine rather than Bravia 3. I'm not sure of how much of a difference that makes, although I would assume that the difference is supposed to be significant since the Bravia 3 engine is not found again until the EX700.

Can we get some discussion on this TV? Again, at this point I suppose the main question is: how is the PQ on the EX308 compared to the EX400?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I ordered the 22EX308 yesterday and it just shipped from B&H, so I'll hopefully have it by tomorrow. It seems you get a lot for the $300 that it cost, only $30 more than the BX but you get a lot more features. And also it seems it uses a VA panel and not a TN since it has 176 vertical and horizontal viewing angles which is rare in this size.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Bravia Engine 3 on these Sub $500 models means only 1 thing

Bravia Engine 3 Pro or Bravia Engine 4 is ready and being produced for next years line.

But the 32" 308 is one that I really like 720p barely matters at that size. Unless its for PC purposes. And TV viewing must be wonderfull.

Only wish it was LED backlit.

But one of these 32 Sony's will end up being Best Buys $349 Door Buster Deal come ThanksGiving 2010

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to the Sony Store yesterday and a sales rep told me that they will NOT be carrying the EX308 in-store (in Canada at least). The rep said that this set can only be ordered directly from sonystyle.ca. So I won't be able to check it out in person

I'm counting on one of you good Americans to check this TV out in person and give your impressions!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received mine yesterday and am having issues with the dlna client connecting to Nero MediaHome 8.x

Nero see's the TV as a device on the server side, The TV see it as a device in the troubleshooting wizard but it doesn't see it as a valid media server.

I have read alot of threads on compatiblity issues with Sony's 09 DLNA clients and was hoping the newer models would be more forgiving. I will try a few other DLNA servers(like WMP 11) tongiht.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^ does the Sony DLNA client play MKV?

Also, can you fill us in on the PQ of this set? Did you buy the 32" or 22"?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Looks like most of you are interested in the 32" which is too big for my use

so I just got the 22" and the picture quality is pretty good, its got good contrast, and colors but I'll have to test the blacks. They are using a better panel which doesn't look dark from the bottom so it's good for mounting it higher than a table.

My only complaint is that the bezel is glossy but the screen itself has a slight matte finish.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Yeah, just saw that B&H is showing discontinued, now. This looks like the TV I've been waiting for. How the hell could they discontinue it before it is even released? Hopefully it is just a mix up.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Can anyone speak to the picture quality of the 32" model? Have any pictures of the user interface? How well does the Netflix client work?

I may end up buying this sight-unseen if SonyStyle is the only one carrying it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Newegg also has the 32" in stock now too. I'm still waiting to read some sort of review of this set...

It's strange...the 32EX308 and BX300 are the same MSRP from sonystyle.ca

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
B&H has the 32EX308 in stock now. So that discontinued thing must have been a misunderstanding. I'm going to wait to see if Best Buy gets it in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In Canada, Best Buy, Future Shop, Sears, and even the Sony Store are not getting this model in stock. I don't understand why (especially the Sony Store). I wonder if the big retailers in the USA will carry this model.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Jackboot, how did you find out that those stores won't be carrying it at all?

I've been asking at Best Buy, and the best they can tell me is to check back in a week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked a sales rep at each location and they looked at either their computerised inventory system or a sheet of paper showing what models were coming in. None of them had the EX308 listed as coming in stock. But they had all the other models listed as coming in stock and when. I'm not too surprised at this since the Sony Store is not even carrying it. Keep in mind that this is only in Canada though. I have no idea if the Sony Store (or other retailers) are going to carry the EX308 in the USA or other countries.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Best Buy is now showing the BX300 in stock at my local store. The Sony web pages for the BX300 and EX308 show the exact same screen specs. 178 degree viewing angle, 100,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.

So I'm willing to bet that the screens are pretty much identical between these two TVs. And that means I can head to Best Buy to check out how the TV looks before I plop down my cash online for the TV.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only thing that makes me question whether or not the panels in the BX300 and EX308 are the same is that the MSRP on sonystyle.ca (canada) is the exact same for both of these sets! That doesn't make any sense at all considering that the EX308 has far more features. So I am considering the possibility that the EX308 has more features but worse PQ and that is how they are justifying the price/positioning.

BTW, newegg now has the 32" EX308 in stock in addition to the 22". Something I'm having a hard time understanding is why all the retailers that are showing they have stock on this TV are selling it for far more than MSRP while Sony is selling it for less than MSRP. Makes no sense

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same is true of the EX400, I've noticed Best Buy is selling it for over Sony's price as well. Weird.

I'd be grateful if someone could compare the EX308 and EX400's picture quality within the next few weeks.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackboot /forum/post/18299892

The only thing that makes me question whether or not the panels in the BX300 and EX308 are the same is that the MSRP on sonystyle.ca (canada) is the exact same for both of these sets! That doesn't make any sense at all considering that the EX308 has far more features. So I am considering the possibility that the EX308 has more features but worse PQ and that is how they are justifying the price/positioning.

Well every other place I've seen the EX308 costs 30 USD more. I have confirmed that the 22EX308 is using a S-PVA panel , which is a panel that they use for the higher end sets. If the BX300 has a better panel than PVA I'd be surprised.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts