AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May I kindly ask if anyone knows what a true, realistic available date of the Sony KDL46EX500 might be?

Everywhere that I look seems to be very wishy washy on the true available date. Some say "during the month of March", some say "2/15th" and today, that was changed to "2/16th". I'm wondering if they'd change the expected date one day at a time ad infinitum?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm located in nyc and, like many, do not own a car. therefore, i need to go to costco.com to make a purchase as heavy as this one.

costco.com does not seem to have any Sony 46" LCD's. in fact, their selection on their site for LCD tv's appear to be not that great.

am i missing something?

i do understand that costco brick and mortars have different selection at different locations. For example, my friend in LA says that the LA costco near him has an amazing selection of LCD tv's, whereas the Queens, NYC costco store has a relatively poor selection, as many have told me, even though it is very inconvenient for me and others without a car to get to, and virtually impossible to get a 60-pound tv back to my apartment.

any other options or info re: available dates?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for your reply.

I wonder why so few retailers have it in stock at this point. Wouldn't we have expected a good number of Sony retailers all have received it roughly at the same time?

For example, none of the nyc-local brick and mortar retailers seem to have it in stock yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio /forum/post/18142195

Thx for your reply.

I wonder why so few retailers have it in stock at this point. Wouldn't we have expected a good number of Sony retailers all have received it roughly at the same time?

For example, none of the nyc-local brick and mortar retailers seem to have it in stock yet.

It's in our warehouse...should be in store this week or next

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I was pretty much set on the Sony 46EX500 that is coming out any day now, I now am having second thoughts about going for the new Panasonic TC-P46G25 (basically the replacement to their 2009's G10 46" which has proven to be enormously popular).

Even though I was "sold" on the Sony 46EX500 (I suppose I talked myself into it) by: EX500 being essentially the new version of the V5100, lower overall height on stand, good all-around performance, plenty of 3:2 pulldown/24p Cinema correction modes, etc. I notice that the plasma performance of the Panasonic G10, and now, the G25 line, is increasingly improving in all the negative areas which used to be the bane of plasmas versus LCD's.

The deep and rich black levels, which are basically what is lengendary of the Panasonic plasmas, are what's been keeping the G10 models at the top of virtually all the lists of "bests".

Power usage, contrast ratio, longer and longer half-lifes, better anti-glare coating, ... are all superior to even their last year's G10 version of the 46" unit.

I'm now beginning to second guess my own previous conclusion that the Sony 46EX500 is the best option for my bedroom unit. I'm now thinking: why not wait one more month for the Panasonic 46G25? I'll get deeper and richer blacks, plus, in the bedroom, the ultimate level of white brightness is not as critical. In fact, overly bright whites in the bedroom may not be a good thing for late night viewing in the bedroom, where it may appear to be a bit too glaringly bright. So, I was thinking (or maybe rethinking) that quite possibly, the advantages of the Panny 46G25 are "spot on" for my particular application, rather than the generically good Sony 46EX500.

May I ask for your good comments/advice/comments please? Thx in advance!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 /forum/post/18147293

I would not get any Panasonic products right now since it was recently revealed that their TV's loose black levels over time.

mfarris: thx for your post/reply.

yes, while that fact may well be true, that is simply a fact of virtually anything mechanical that we buy, right? Virtually very thing gets "less good" over time. Considering the fact that the half life of the Panasonic plasmas are now at 100,000 hours, that is really rather a very large number already!

Say if we discount what their claim is by 50%, so now, we assume that the real half life is 50,000 hours. Assuming using the tv 5 hours each and every day, then: 50,000 hours / (5 hours/day x 360 days/year) = 27 years. Furthermore, assuming a linear decline in performance, then the "quarter life" is 1/2 of that 27-year figure which = 13 years. That translates to 1/8th loss of quality in 6 years.

Is that really that extreme a loss?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am interested in an EX500 or EX501 for the bedroom. Since they are both the same tv. Sony does not list the contrast ratio. I saw the 55 inch EX501 at Costco yesterday, it looked nice but you never can tell how it will look at home since the feed wasn't the best. I have seen the 55 EX500 at the local Sonystyle store. It looked really good but only cause it was hooked up to a PS3 with Uncharted 2 playing. I asked the salesman if it was possible to put some live TV on it but he said it wasn't hooked up but said the picture will be just as sharp through cable as the PS3 looks if it was HD. I know that was not totally true but it was funny.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 /forum/post/18148323

True I guess but I never would buy a plasma anyways and now never a panasonic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 /forum/post/18148348

I am interested in an EX500 or EX501 for the bedroom. Since they are both the same tv. Sony does not list the contrast ratio. I saw the 55 inch EX501 at Costco yesterday, it looked nice but you never can tell how it will look at home since the feed wasn't the best. I have seen the 55 EX500 at the local Sonystyle store. It looked really good but only cause it was hooked up to a PS3 with Uncharted 2 playing. I asked the salesman if it was possible to put some live TV on it but he said it wasn't hooked up but said the picture will be just as sharp through cable as the PS3 looks if it was HD. I know that was not totally true but it was funny.

mfarris214: may i ask a couple of follow up questions, please?

- why "now, never a panasonic"? as far as i can tell, Sony is the company that's not doing well at all at a corporate level, in terms of profitability over all. Just curious as to how you arrived at that decision. Thx in advance.

- being in nyc myself, it's very tough to get to a Costco (it's out in Queens) as most New Yorkers do not have a car. That said, IF costco.com has a better selection of LCD's and/or plasmas, then I can go the "costco.com" route, but alas, they do not have a good selection at their online store.

You guys in the LA area are very fortunate as i believe that the costco's in the LA area stock an abundance of LCD's and plasmas for an excellent selection. Have you looked at their costco.com selection? It's tiny!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Never Panasonic because for one I do not like Plasma and now with the whole black level decrease wouldn't touch it.

I never said Sony was the best. Actually their quality has sucked the past 3 years. Samsung if most likely the leader in TV's these days. I was just curious is all.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 /forum/post/18148348

I am very happy with my 55EX501. The picture is very good and I have had no issues with it (though only had it since Thursday). A lot better experience than with the 55V5100 I had first.

·
Registered
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarris214 /forum/post/18148563

Never Panasonic because for one I do not like Plasma and now with the whole black level decrease wouldn't touch it.

I never said Sony was the best. Actually their quality has sucked the past 3 years. Samsung if most likely the leader in TV's these days. I was just curious is all.

lol...panasonic is the pillar of consistency...and no one in their right mind would take an lcd over a plasma for a bedroom tv...or a living room tv for that matter...even when plasmas used to have catastrophic falts like consistent burn in and insane energy consumption...general consensus was it was alway a better picture.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.