AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't come across any definitive reviews or write ups on this particular set, so I thought that I would make a new thread. Does anyone currently have the KDL55HX701 in their home and set up? How is the PQ? Black levels? Color reproduction? Is the 240Hz a boon or bust? I've seen little to no information or feedback from people out there pertaining to this particular set. I'm hoping that someone can chime in and just pluck down their two cents and own personal experience.

I'm just really curious, as I will be calling Sony and telling them that I want this particular set as part of the replacement program for my old SXRD XBR1. I ran over the spec sheets and owners manual from this website:

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...n100188n100444

To me, it looks really nice on paper, but I'd love to hear from others that currently own this set or have happened to see it in person.

My burning question that I'm wondering, is what would you compare to this set to from another brand or either other Sony of yesteryear, in terms of PQ, color, blacks, etc.? Dying to know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry. I forgot to add, are these sets comparable to the Sony KDL-EX700/701and NX700 series of displays? It's hard to get a handle on all these different sku numbers only being separated by a singular letter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It looks like the HX focuses on pure picture quality. The EX is the "economy" model and will even have some 720P versions. The NX is the "luxury" model and will have LED avail.

I'll find out about the HX soon enough. Ordered my replacement and should arrive in a few weeks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The HX series are CCFL backlit with deep black monolithic panel. The EX700 and all NX are LED edge lit. EX300 and BX300 are 720 CCFL panels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just had the opportunity to view both the 55"HX701 and the 46"HX701 this evening at Best Buy and I must say I am very dissapointed at what I saw. Let me first say that I have seen the NX800 and the LX900 in person and both of those models also have the monolithic design the major differance is the screen depth from the glass cover, the 900 and 800 both use LED's making the total thickness of the set very thin therefore the glass has the perception of being very close to the screen were as the HX701 is very thick and the glass overlay seems too far in front of the LCD screen giving the TV very little pop. The TV's edge around the glass was a grey plastic that made the TV look very cheap, not sure why they chose the plastic rather then the aluminum edge on the other Monolithic sets? The off angle viewing on this TV is horrible as soon as you take a step left or right you loose a large amount of color. I have never been a huge fan of the glossy screens but I think a huge differance between a set like this and say a Samsung Clear Panel is the glossy part on the Samsung is the actual screen so the image briteness detracts some of the reflection to were this set has the screen recessed back with the glass front which throws a seperate reflection and dilutes the panel. I encourage anyone that is being offered the deal through Sony for there XBR1 serial stickers to see if your local Best Buy has it on display yet and judge for yourself. I think when the TV is turned off the overall styling is nice but it really lacks in the picture quality, and in my opinion has some of the worst reflections I have seen on a TV!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback, dconner23. Disappointing to hear about the reflections and the picture quality. The thickness doesn't bother me one iota, but the other things might eventually. This is going in a dark room, so the reflections will not be a problem to me.

So, if you were in my position, which would you choose? I assume you'd take the Sony 55" EX-501 with a three year warranty? (That's my second option). All things considered, I'm still probably going with the 55"HX701 and rolling the dice. We'll see what happens...

Thanks for posting your impressions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
NY PANDA: Its a tough call I think for the price I would stick with HX700 with the thought that if you did not like it the retail price is a thousand higher for only 2 hundred more and you could sell it and possibly make a bit more. I am real curious to see what your thoughts are when you get it home and set it in a dark room. I will say the blacks are much darker then the 500 and the colors in its sweet spot are a bit more vibrant but it definatley has some off angle issues, the glass panel on this model really effects the image quality from anywhere just slightly off center. I did notice this a bit with the NX800 but nowhere near as much. Again I viewed it in Best Buy so I would love to hear what you think once you get it in your home. Good Luck and I hope it works out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, we're thinking along the same lines dconner23. I figure that getting a set for almost $2,200 off the manufacturing price is a no-brainer. If I don't like it, then I will definitely explore my options as far as selling it goes.

Good to hear about the black levels, that makes me a happy camper to hear about that. With some tweaking, I'm sure this will look very nice in our basement (cave). Looking forward to see how the display performs.

By the way, what source material were they using in Best Buy with this set?

·
Registered
7 Posts
NY PANDA: they were streaming there normal demo loop through components but they did have a few models around it running the same loop so I used those as a comparision, those models were 52''XBR9 Samsung 55''630 Samsung 55''8000 Sony 52''EX700 and a new LG which did not have the fact tag.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Now you made me get out the 46HX701 and take a closer look. I suppose that everyone is entitled to their opinion. I find the picture to be quite adequate and the new “Deep Black” design gives it quite an impressive contrast ratio.

I put it up against a 46EX700 and I observed that the CCFL backlighting of the HX701 produced more vividness in the picture. Off-angle viewing only appears to be an issue when you are close to the set which is probably not the way you are going to watch it. Unless you have windows or intense lights at the perimeter the glare from the glass front should not be a problem. Throw in the fact that the HX701 has a 240HZ TCON vesus the 120HZ for the EX700 and you have another plus. Just my 2-cents worth.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner23 /forum/post/18319800

NY PANDA: they were streaming there normal demo loop through components but they did have a few models around it running the same loop so I used those as a comparision, those models were 52''XBR9 Samsung 55''630 Samsung 55''8000 Sony 52''EX700 and a new LG which did not have the fact tag.

In the store, how did the HX701 compare to the 52XBR9?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric290 /forum/post/18326559

In the store, how did the HX701 compare to the 52XBR9?

I'd like to hear that as well. Are they comparable? I know a store isn't the most optimal enviroment for that sort of thing, just a quick ballpark opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda /forum/post/18332687

I'd like to hear that as well. Are they comparable? I know a store isn't the most optimal enviroment for that sort of thing, just a quick ballpark opinion.

My personal opinion I thought the XBR9 looked much better compared to the HX701, I thought Sony nailed it with the somewhat Semi-Gloss screen on the 9 which was not as glossy as some of the Samsungs but was not the Matte that is used on the EX700.I also thought the colors were much more vivid due to the screen being a single layer and I can say for sure the veiwing angle is much better even though it drops off left to right as well which is the nature of most LCD's. The HX701 is not a horriable TV and as far as getting it as a replacement for an XBR1 for a very low price is not a bad deal at all, but in terms of what I saw and the price point it is at I just could not see spending the MSRP, I would not even give that TV a second look at that price, again just my personal opinion based on viewing the set in a Best Buy store the test will be when NY Panda recieves it and views it at home. I am curious to here his opinion. I might be at Best Buy tommorow picking up a few movies if so I will snap a few photos with my phone and post them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that assessment, dconner23. I love to hear the good and the bad, which can be most helpful for future purchasers out there. If everything that you're telling me holds to be true for me as well, then I would never pay that kind of scratch at MSRP price either.

That'd be cool of you to snap some pictures. Out of curiosity, which set(s) do you currently have your eye on?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I would also love to know, from people that already have the HX, how good it is with gaming. I have an Xbox 360 and I need a set that doesn't have a problem with input lag.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll let you know, ehgz1. I plan on gaming with this set quite a bit (Xbox 360 and PS3) and probably some old PC games as well. Still waiting on them to say they've received my serial number sticker in the mail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is a link to a forum in france...they discuss the 700 series. I will be recieving HX701 at some point. I read through it and even after translation got some good info.

Hope this helps those looking for information.

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/v...194&t=29936210

It seems the HX700 runs at 200Htz, seems to be the only diffarence. Or is that a UK thing? Anyway, here is a link to a review of a 46" HX700. However the review is simplistic, but a little insite is better than nothing.
http://m3.idg.se/2.1022/1.300541/son...700-internettv

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconner23 /forum/post/18332777

My personal opinion I thought the XBR9 looked much better compared to the HX701, I thought Sony nailed it with the somewhat Semi-Gloss screen on the 9 which was not as glossy as some of the Samsungs but was not the Matte that is used on the EX700.I also thought the colors were much more vivid due to the screen being a single layer and I can say for sure the veiwing angle is much better even though it drops off left to right as well which is the nature of most LCD's. The HX701 is not a horriable TV and as far as getting it as a replacement for an XBR1 for a very low price is not a bad deal at all, but in terms of what I saw and the price point it is at I just could not see spending the MSRP, I would not even give that TV a second look at that price, again just my personal opinion based on viewing the set in a Best Buy store the test will be when NY Panda recieves it and views it at home. I am curious to here his opinion. I might be at Best Buy tommorow picking up a few movies if so I will snap a few photos with my phone and post them.

Thanks for the comparison also. I took the 52XBR9 replacement deal back in January. I have been wondering if I would have been better off passing on the XBR9 deal and waiting for a better offer. I agree with you about the semi-gloss screen on the XBR9.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Viewing angle is TV's weakest point, it is so bad that it makes a difference to some degree how exactly from the front you look at it. What it does best, rather than speed. Panel linked with a good image and substance of the TV a really strong point and is it's speed, the panel handles fast movement almost perfectly. \\In some cases, we may get some errors in the image at 200 hertz mode, but it was a long.

+

Good Internet
Awesome speed

Good colors

-

Expensive

Terrible remote

Poor viewing angle"

http://www.google.com/translate?lang...700-internettv

I used google translator for Swedish to English. What caught my eye especially were the comments on speed and how the sets handle fast movement. Good news to gamers out there, and especially music to the ears of this gamer. I hope that holds up to be the reality, and must say that I am pretty optimistic in that regard.

p.s. - I know that's not any kind of definitive review on input lag by any stretch of the imagination, but I surmise these sets will be nice with gaming

1 - 20 of 109 Posts