AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have calibrated several of these sets. And using a signal generator it really does do 720P. So enjoy!

Set this set to the "Pro Mode" for best picture. And get it calibrated! This Sony has errors in the red channel and green channel color decoder. (like all tvs) But the Sony when calibrated can fix all of these errors. (no red push)

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Well that explains the Service Mode display I see, and the fact that this set has individual axis, etc settings for 720p and 1080i.

I suspected there was something different about the 720p conversion on this set, I thought it was converting to 1080i but the Service Mode display seemed to hint that 720p was separate from any other resolution as far as the service parameters were concerned. Since 1080i and 720p all share the same parameters on the XBR800 series, I knew something had to be different.

I'm glad someone finally analyzed the set to come to a definitive conclusion. That explains why the manual doesn't say a word one way or the other about converting a 720p signal.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Why do you say use component video and not DVI? For my HDTV box on that set I use DVI, for the DVD player component, and for the D-VHS deck I use firewire and component.

Why would one avoid DVI on this set, as far as I can tell it works fine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraVideoCaptan
I have calibrated several of these sets. And using a signal generator it really does do 720P. So enjoy!

Set this set to the "Pro Mode" for best picture. And get it calibrated! This Sony has errors in the red channel and green channel color decoder. (like all tvs) But the Sony when calibrated can fix all of these errors. (no red push)

Thanks

Ryan
UVC,

Are you saying that the 550 displays 720p? Or did you mean that it inputs 720p and converts it to 480p or 1080i for display? If it truly does display 720p, do you know if the 51 and 57 inch versions display 720p also?

I have been putting off the purchase of a big screen because I would like a 720p display without going into the fixed pixel arena. I'm just about to buy a GWIII, but if the 550's display 720p, I'll probably save myself quite a bit of money.

Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've got a 51WS550 on the way (posted about it - no one replied:( ) and in researching, came across posts here that said it upsampled 720p to 1080i, but this sounds like that was incorrect. What is the real deal?

I've got an Xbox with the HD AV pack, a Sony DirectTV box (non-HD) with S-Video and component outs, a roof aerial for OTA HDTV (live in Detroit) and will prolly have some sort of combo progressive DVD/VHS deck (on a budget for now).

How best to attach all of these for best PQ and to be able to tape DSS programming? I've DLed the owners manual, but it's a bit vague and almost appears to endorse using composite or co-ax connections to get the VHS in the loop. Ugh.

TIA.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes the Sony 550 does true 720p with no conversion.

DVI works, but DVI adds artifacts, and ultimate color saturation is reduced. I think bandwith with DVI on the Sony this year is limited. Sort of like S-Video compared to component video on DVD.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
835 Posts
Oh wow, thanks for the reply.

I see that Samsung has a $300 DVD player that can upsample to 720p or 1080i in the Best Buy ad this week. That's somewhat pricey for my taste and seeing as DVDs in hi-def are only 480 lines high, is there any benefit from the upsampling or does it introduce room for artifacts, etc.?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm sorry, but I haven't received the set yet (damn special order nonsense) and the LAST thing I need is someone waving around my receipt and demanding that they match a price that was a unique situation at a particular store. With my luck, they'd bag my order and then where am I?

If this was a real Hot Deal - like an unadvertised sale everywhere where prices are cut in the computer but not on the package - then I would've encouraged everyone to storm CC and get some for themselves too. I stopped in Beast Buy last night and showed them my receipt and they couldn't believe it and asked if it was an open box and were astounded that it wasn't.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you made out much beeter than me... got the 65"WS550 for 14.44 x the price of the XBox bundle....

In our case, 51" would have been too small anyways. Our 65" gets here today! Wahooo!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I use the DVI input on my 65WS550 for my HD cable box. It's true saturation is down, but it's adjustable. If you calibrate using the firewire input and the DVE D-Theater tape, it becomes apparent viewing identical material that firewire and DVI calibrate identically on this set. Component you calibrate using a different setting. I use MOVIE for DVI/Firewire settings and PRO for component settings. If you set things up in this manner, you can use DVI and Component interchangeably, going to MOVIE for DVI/Firewire and PRO for component sources.

The set itself did not seem to add any artifacts at all in firewire mode, using DVE test patterns it was clear that firewire input was superior to component input using a JVC 40k deck as the source. If you saw artifacts being added in DVI mode I suspect the source may have been adding them, not the set.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UltraVideoCaptan
Yes the Sony 550 does true 720p with no conversion.

DVI works, but DVI adds artifacts, and ultimate color saturation is reduced. I think bandwith with DVI on the Sony this year is limited. Sort of like S-Video compared to component video on DVD.

Thanks

Ryan

UVC,

I was really hoping that Sony would confirm what you found. Support from Sony just replied to me and said that 720p is converted to 1080i in the WS550's. I'll still hold out hope that the support rep. is just wrong or that Sony isn't advertising the feature for this year's model. I've put their response below.

Any idea how we can prove Sony wrong on this? Are there any WS550 owners out there who can display720p native?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Response (Sharlene) - 01/30/2004 07:42 AM

Thank you for your interest in KDP-51WS550 television.

The 720p signal will be upconverted to 1080i signal and will be displayed in the

KDP-51WS550 television. Hence, the 720p signal is not displayed in the native format.

Please click on the following link to view the detailed specifications of KDP-51WS550

television showcased at Sonystyle.com

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...SKU=KDP51WS550

·
Registered
835 Posts
Is this really bad or just somewhat bad or not bad or what?

Why would color be WORSE thru DVI? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
It clearly accepts a 720p signal, what it displays it at is not clear. It either upconverts it to 1080i, or it displays it as 720p. It clearly does not downconvert it to 480p.

Hooking up an X-Box and seeing if it's gorgeous is no test at all, all that does is show it can accept the signal. Displaying a 720p test pattern and checking for resolution, and if possible interlace is.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey guys, I've been lurking for a while, and this is my second post.

I get my set (65ws550) Saturday, and would be happy to perform any tests necessary, given my equipment. I have the following:

xbox w/hi-def output pack

laptop with nvidia mobile processor which has s-video out.

I was thinking of using powerstrip to try and tweak the laptop out to display a test pattern off of the laptop, but I don't think the s-video limitation will generate a true test.

I was also planning on switching the xbox back and forth from 720p to 480p modes and comparing digital photos of the resolution differences, meanwhile having it in service mode so I can see what the display thinks.

According to sony after speaking to the big-screen rep for the service-side, the set supposedly is identical to the former wv700 plus the ATSC tuner and less the dark surround, and hence will convert 720p to 1080i.

Any suggestions on what other tests I can run?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.