AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my 11 year old 55 inch RP SD went out (finally) so I get a new unit. At a friend's house over the weekend, he had this new model SOny KPD51WS655. NICE pictures with HD source, HDMI, DVI and Firewire in and digital optical out. Yes, I know it's a CRT but space is no problem and the price is right so no 'shoulda got a LCD/plasma/DLP, etc.'

Question- this unit 'replaces' the older KP51WS520, which was listed as 1080i native. There is no such available data on this KDP model, it does note that it 'scales all incoming HD and SD signals to the configuration of the panel w/o degrading signal quality..' (who writes this stuff anyway?)

What I really want to know is what is the native resolution? I am assuming 720p or 1080i. Since it is listed as a 'high scan' I'm guessing 1080i as last year' model was but hey I'm a rookie. Any Sony techs, experts, etc. who can fill me in?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I have a WS655 and it has been great so far! My understanding is that it does 480p material as 480p and 720p stuff gets upconverted to 1080i. 1080i is displayed as 1080i. Hope that helps

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gov,

I appreciate the info. Set to be delivered Sun., TWC-Raleigh coming Mon. with SA8300HD stb. Plan on HDMI in and digital optical out to receiver.

What is your experience with Sd broadcast materials and with broadcast HD materials with this set? The TWC system here is 'all digital'. Waht is your opinion of the scaling on this set?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
All around I am very happy with this set. SD material is as good as it is going to get with an HD set. HD stuff is awesome. The scaling is good too! I think you will be very happy with this set

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.