AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a kds 60a2020 because I found what I think to be a very good deal on it. I have looked through here and seen that alot of people seem to have problems with them. I am just wondering if you recommend this TV or are the problems not VERY prevalent. I can get it bundled with the stand for 1599. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 /forum/post/12970440


I am considering getting a kds 60a2020 because I found what I think to be a very good deal on it. I have looked through here and seen that alot of people seem to have problems with them. I am just wondering if you recommend this TV or are the problems not VERY prevalent. I can get it bundled with the stand for 1599. Thanks.

I would NOT buy any SXRD set. My experience has been dismal with them..3 bad sets, plus a botched repair on set # 2. Thank God Sony finally gave me my money back. It is a good price, but I would not count on it lasting very long, and if it goes bad, good luck getting it repaired properly. If out of warranty it will be a throwaway item. You could roll the dice and get a good set too. Depends on how much you like to gamble. Most frustrating electronic product I ever owned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts
proud owner of a 60a2000

best tv i ever owned

no hints of green haze/blob

deep blacks


i start to wonder how the same people can have "problems" over and over

either they were misdiagnosed or maybe it is something with their setup

could it be their geographic location?

power issues?

dumb luck, i doubt it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/12971636


proud owner of a 60a2000

best tv i ever owned

no hints of green haze/blob

deep blacks


i start to wonder how the same people can have "problems" over and over

either they were misdiagnosed or maybe it is something with their setup

could it be their geographic location?

power issues?

dumb luck, i doubt it

No more likely than it might be 'dumb luck' that you got a good one. LOL Bottom line is some sets are good, and some are not. Most disturbing thing is when they don't work right they seem nearly impossible to get repaired properly. I own a Panny 58 plasma which I am very pleased with. The threads on Panny plamsas have very few complaints, and I cannot recall a single instance of the types of repair issues that have plagued some SXRD owners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two more things.....


1) I just read about the class action law suit that has extended the warranty til june 2008. Does anyone know if sony has put an improved OB in their recently manufactured tvs or are they just using the old ones.


Also 2) Can anyone else recomend another TV in this price range that I should consider.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nevermind.... it appears that the lawsuit only applies to KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1. Does anyone know if there is one that would apply to the 2020?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 /forum/post/12978029


nevermind.... it appears that the lawsuit only applies to KDS-R50XBR1 and KDS-R60XBR1. Does anyone know if there is one that would apply to the 2020?

IMHO, you can't paint all SXRDs with the same brush. IIRC, AB's problems were with the A2000. The A2020 is NOT (so far) a victim of the green blob problem that affected the XBR1. There have been very few, if any reports, of such problems with the A2020. Hence no CAL. Take a look through the A2020 Owner's thread to be sure. I've had an A2020 for 8 months now with no problems (no green blobs, nice blacks). Prior to that I had an XBR1 that DID suffer the reported problems. If my A2020 goes bad I will be sure to report it, just like I did with the XBR1.

Bottom-line: If I were you I wouldn't be too concerned about buying an A2020. Btw, why did you start a new thread about this instead of posting in the existing A2020 owner's thread?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm145 /forum/post/12971636


proud owner of a 60a2000

best tv i ever owned

no hints of green haze/blob

deep blacks


i start to wonder how the same people can have "problems" over and over

either they were misdiagnosed or maybe it is something with their setup

could it be their geographic location?

power issues?

dumb luck, i doubt it

It is odd that the people that have had problems have repeated problems. I still contest that these units are subject to problems due to shock and a big factor is how it's handled by the warehouse and delivery people.


Edited for stupid typo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I started a new thread just so it would be easier to keep track of intead of multiple conversations and answers to different people all mixed in. If it should be in the main 2020 thread then could I please have a mod move it or i can just delete this if they prefer. It really doesnt matter too much to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis /forum/post/12979378


It is odd that the people that have had problems have repeated problems. I still content that these units are subject to problems due to shock and a big factor is how it's handled by the warehouse and delivery people.

exactly


it does not make sense


how could the same people not have success with numerous OB replacements? i think the cause of the problems may not be the OB's at all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdee3 /forum/post/12982234


I can get a 50A2020 bundled with the stand for 1215. Is this a good deal? Thanks.

Yes, but if you can fit a 55" screen check out the bundle at Costco and/or Sams Club.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldorfSalad /forum/post/12983222


Yes, but if you can fit a 55" screen check out the bundle at Costco and/or Sams Club.

Wifey wanted a bigger tv, so I ended up getting a 61" DLP w/ stand.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top