AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance if there is already a thread regarding this problem. I tried going through the 60A3000 owners thread and searching within that thread, but did not find a description similar to mine. I recently purchased my KDS-60A3000 from CC 2 weeks ago. Everything seemed great - PQ was terrific...but there was something subtle....just couldn't put my finger on it. This afternoon, my finger found the source. I put on a B&W DVD (Anatomy of a Murder) and immediately noticed that the left side of the screen was a light rose color and the right side of the screen was a light green color. The screen was divided perfectly in half - as if a vertical line were drawn from top to bottom. There was no gradation to the shading effect. Everything was uniformly shaded rose or green. Thinking it might have been the DVD, I tried another B&W (W.C. Fields) and had the same result. The DVD player was connected via component cables. Next I switched to live TV (using Charter STB) which is connected via HDMI, turned the color setting all the way to "min", and voila! - same exact effect on every channel I tried. 2 different sources, two different connections = same result. Now somewhat satisfied that the 60A3000 was the problem and not the sources, I tried various picture settings, including Standard with all "extra" features "OFF". Same result. Next I searched AVS Forum for a solution. Didn't really find a similar experience, hence this thread.

Next, I called Sony Tech Support (800-222-7669). This was a bit of an eye-opener. I explained to the support person that the TV still had 2 weeks "grace period" through CC, during which time I can (1) Exchange the set for another identical model, or (2) exchange for a different model/brand, or (3) get a full refund and ponder my situation further. The tech support person wanted to set up a "case" and have a technician evaluate and attempt to repair the TV. I explained that I didn't want to begin my 2-week old HDTV ownership with an appointment for repairs. I asked about the frequency of callers that had the same problem I had described and he readily acknowledged that this was in fact "common to that model". I asked to speak to an actual technician and was told that Sony has all repair work done by authorized service centers. I asked for the name of the authorized service center in Kalamazoo, MI and he gave me the number for Qualx. I thanked him and called Qualx (866-856-9897). Turns out they are located in Massachussetts and serve as a clearinghouse for service calls. I asked them who they use in Kalamazoo, so I could call that company and talk to an actual technician. The Qualx agent couldn't give me anything more specific than ("we are nation-wide"). Helpfulness quotient - approximately 1 (scale of 10).

What am I trying to do here? I simply want to speak to someone who actually works on KDS-60A3000 sets - explain my problem, and determine whether it is likely a better decision to exchange the set, get the set repaired, or get out of the Sony ownership club.

I am hoping someone on this forum (if not here, then probably nowhere) can help me with this twofold problem:

(1) What might be the problem with this set and what is prognosis, and

(2) Where do I turn to get extended service that I can depend on - that will be local.

Thanks for your collective indulgence and for any advice or suggestions you may have. BTW, other than the bi-lateral tinting issue, I LOVE this set.

·
Registered
151 Posts
AFAIK, the issue you are experiencing is not "usual" for the A3000 series. Just take it back to CC for an exchange. If you get another set with the same issue, take it back for a refund.

Simple as that...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sleey0 - Thanks for the quick response. My first reaction, after conducting all my unscientific tests, was to exchange it. However, there is a strong urge to get more info, since the PQ is terrific. Have you tried turning your color all the way off? And if so, is your screen uniform gray scale? Thanks again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 50A3000 has this issue and it's easily noticeable on white, gray, and black and white material. On mine It's across the bottom(with a little section up towards center) and in the upper right corner. I've been able to find posts from others who seem to be experiencing the same thing. While searching I found this post and the poster says he had his light engine replaced to fix the problem, and he said it actually got worse after the repair.

I've read a few posts where users say they believe it is a white balance issue, but that is not the case for mine. If I adjust white balance it just messes up the white balance for the rest of the screen, and the haze stays. Mine is visible when looking directly at the display, but some report they have to be viewing at an angle to see it. I guess it varies from unit to unit. My A3000 is out of the exchange period or I would exchange it. If you still have a chance to return/exchange it, I probably would go that route.

·
Registered
87 Posts
hey guys i am having the same problem. I have a magenta border around the screen and a green stain in the middle. I asked for some help in the official thread but didnt get any. I have also described it to my calibration guy and he didnt sound to worried about it and he will be here sunday to do recalibration on my samsung and to calibrate this television so i will get a more definitive answer about if it is a real problem. I am still with in my 30 days so that sord of puts me at ease

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the same issue with my KDS-55a3000. I can see a green tint on the left middle side of the screen. Its like a green blob of sorts. Its not always visible but on black and white it will show up faintly and if i sit exactlly in front of the screen its harder to see. My tv is less than a week old.

·
Registered
61 Posts
kingsleytim, in regards to visibility, mine sounds about just like yours. You can definitely see mine when standing directly in front of the display, but it is harder to see that way.

I'll try to take some pics and post them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had an authorized Sony repair tech look at my set. He said the optical block was bad and would need to be replaced. Since I am within the 30 day grace period at CC, I will exchange it. I even considered getting something different, but I really like the PQ of this Sony. The Sony tech said this was the first 60A3000 he had seen with the optical block problem, but he was very familiar with the previous models that were plauged by this issue. I found several threads that may be of some interest:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...3-ee26e4c46c0d

genericContent.do?oid=192239&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3abe6a805b-b6ff-433f-97f0-6b061fc39cf0Forum%3ae121d1fc-e171-4bc5-93d0-8a405f43e51dDiscussion%3a7207219b-4048-4c91-90f3-ee26e4c46c0d>[/url]

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/137540.html

http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyr...v-opticalblock

EDIT: I should add that the tint problem on my set is clearly visible from almost any angle, as well as viewing straight on. The biggest concern I have is that the optical block repair may only be a temporary fix (as noted in other threads). Maybe this (& the class action lawsuit) are major contributing factors to Sony's decision to abandon RP.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stevens /forum/post/12904744

I had an authorized Sony repair tech look at my set. He said the optical block was bad and would need to be replaced. Since I am within the 30 day grace period at CC, I will exchange it. I even considered getting something different, but I really like the PQ of this Sony. The Sony tech said this was the first 60A3000 he had seen with the optical block problem, but he was very familiar with the previous models that were plauged by this issue. I found several threads that may be of some interest:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/gener...3-ee26e4c46c0d

genericContent.do?oid=192239&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3abe6a805b-b6ff-433f-97f0-6b061fc39cf0Forum%3ae121d1fc-e171-4bc5-93d0-8a405f43e51dDiscussion%3a7207219b-4048-4c91-90f3-ee26e4c46c0d>[/url]

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/137540.html

http://splinke.googlepages.com/sonyr...v-opticalblock

EDIT: I should add that the tint problem on my set is clearly visible from almost any angle, as well as viewing straight on. The biggest concern I have is that the optical block repair may only be a temporary fix (as noted in other threads). Maybe this (& the class action lawsuit) are major contributing factors to Sony's decision to abandon RP.

Well i guess ill start my return process with crutchfield then hopefully its hassle free. I think i will stick with the a3000 because when its working properly theres not a better picture out there in rptv.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander21 /forum/post/12905776

Well i guess ill start my return process with crutchfield then hopefully its hassle free. I think i will stick with the a3000 because when its working properly theres not a better picture out there in rptv.

Highlander, that's what I would do if I was still within the exchange time frame. I agree with you about the PQ of the A3000, it's very good. However, you might consider purchasing your next one at a B&M store so you can return it easily. Because this user says he's had 3 sets and they all had a yellow tint towards the bottom. and I found another post where the poster says he has had 4 different sets and they all had the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts