AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fully aware of the color uniformity issues which plague these sets. I have a 50XBR1 on its fourth OB with a very subtle green haze just right of center. The flaw has not deteriorated further for a few years now and seems to be stabilized.

Are there zone shading controls hidden somewhere within that draconian service menu?

Would like to do a multi-point gamma correction across the screen similar to what is possible with the Ruby FP.

The blue panel is the source of non-uniformity, so would like to use it as the reference.

This parameter would seem to be the zone shading toggle. It is located @:

8 GAMMA

2 3DG_ON

The following options caught my attention as well:

8 GAMMA

18 LGAMMOD

15 UGAM

2 UGAMMOD

12 CPT

0 IPT_ON

6 CUR

5 CRS_ON

I've also discovered several internally generated cross-hatches and test patterns, but quite frankly, I have no idea if it would be necessary to use them for the process? Would rather input my own IRE grayscale patterns.

A little guidance with how to at least initiate the procedure would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

No.

You know that sony is replacing these units for free for their customers that ask. Contact them and tell them you have a green blob issue and they will give you a flat panel set in its place ... and for a nominal fee ... upgrade you to something larger.

regards

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/21215571

Greetings

No.

You know that sony is replacing these units for free for their customers that ask. Contact them and tell them you have a green blob issue and they will give you a flat panel set in its place ... and for a nominal fee ... upgrade you to something larger.

regards

Thank you for your response Michael.

Yes, I am aware that Sony *had* a customer friendly program prior to November 1st. They have since restructured it in a cost-cutting move, and now it has been relegated to a miniscule discount offer for a new Sony TV. I am not interested in the slightest.

My next television will not be a Sony, nor the one after that. See a predictable pattern here?

So you are absolutely, without any doubt 100% certain, that there is no zone shading mod possible whatsoever? I just find that questionable based on the numerous tweaking tools available in the SM.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B /forum/post/21215756

I haven't been able to find it either, and I own one and have spent maybe a hundred hours in the SM.

Chad, thanks for chiming in!

Back in, oh about '07, we had an email discussion concerning XBR1 overscan adjustment and the possibility of OB focusing. Thanks for your input both then and now. You're a top-notch guy.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UMR, could you please provide any of your insight?

If any former or current Sony engineers/factory calibration techs happen to view this thread, please contribute.

Feel strongly that there is a manual way to achieve it within the SM, yet it would be a slow multi-step process...fine with me. Just need to solve the riddle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts