AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've always been aware of the AVSForum, the sanctuary of the knowledgable. Well, at least in regards to HDTV's.

Well, I've had the Sony kds r60xbr2 TV since Summer 2007, and its been fantastic. But I think that the fact that I went from SD to HD alone made me feel like that was all I've needed to do.

But now I've gotten further into the HD world, with a PS3 and in effect also a blu ray player.

I'll be direct, I have no idea what I'm doing. lol.

I've been tinkering with the settings and at the moment seem to get the best picture, but later on there are over saturated colors, jagged lines (like on the xbox 360 logo when I turn it on) and I've rendered my AT&T u-verse HD service practically useless, it looks a bit soft.

Heres what all of them have:

Settings: Custom

Brightness : 50 (Default)

Contrast : Advanced Iris Auto 1 (supposedly 15,000:1, default)

Colors: Default is 50, mines is at 63

Sharpness: 65, default is 55

DRC Mode/DRC Palette are only for PS3

Advanced:

RGB Bias's all set up to +1, no 0's or negatives

Best White or w/e is on

Best Blacks is also on

HIgh Detail : High, default is off, highest setting is max

Edge detail or something: Medium, default is off

So yeah, I see tons of jaggies. Especially in Halo 3.

I don't watch too much blu ray but I do use the 360 input to plug in my laptop occasionally.

I normally play on my PS3:

Warhawk

Burnout Paradise

Guitar Hero

Soon Killzone 2 (
)

And on the 360:

Halo 3

Banjo Kazooie

Fable II

Gears of War 2

IN case it matters. I mean, I don't want sharpness to go all the way down to reduce jaggies in Halo 3 if it means a slightly less sharp and appealing picture in Gears or Banjo.

Any help would be very appreciated, thanks AVS dudes!

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
The first thing you need to do is invest in Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray disc - under $20 at Amazon.com. It will explain HDTV and how to accurately setup your TV. You need this disc because your TV has a projection lamp and as the lamp accumulates hours of use, the light output changes and your best settings will change. So every 300 hours or so, you should re-check your settings with the Digital Video Essentials disc. It will also teach you things like "the Sharpness control is not your friend" and that you've gone WAY WAY the wrong way with the sharpness control. And you'll also learn you have the Color control set WAY too high. So get the disc, view all the material to learn as much as you can, then follow the instructions that explain how to use the patterns to setup your TV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn /forum/post/15582791

The first thing you need to do is invest in Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray disc - under $20 at Amazon.com. It will explain HDTV and how to accurately setup your TV. You need this disc because your TV has a projection lamp and as the lamp accumulates hours of use, the light output changes and your best settings will change. So every 300 hours or so, you should re-check your settings with the Digital Video Essentials disc. It will also teach you things like "the Sharpness control is not your friend" and that you've gone WAY WAY the wrong way with the sharpness control. And you'll also learn you have the Color control set WAY too high. So get the disc, view all the material to learn as much as you can, then follow the instructions that explain how to use the patterns to setup your TV.

I'll look into that, thanks, but while that ships, is there any info you can give me based off what I have listed?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts