AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I joined the Optical Block replacement club this week. Getting the OB replaced next week under the June 30th 2010 extended warranty on the OB. The whole screen has a green haze and flesh tones are greenish, mostly on the left and upper portions of the screen. Adjusted the gain as far is it will go to make it better but its still way off.

Anyway, does anybody know if the replacement optical blocks were redesigned to stop this from happening? I didn't see anybody information about the 3000 series SXRD sets with the problem.

Just want to know if I can expect the issue to come back after its out of the extended warranty. I have about 10k hours on my set. Manufactured August 2006.

This set has such a great picture when its working right! This is really disappointing. I was expecting to have this TV for about 10 years. I only got 2 1/2 out of it.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I guess I got my question answered. Sort of. The optical block was replaced today.

I checked it out the color after by putting it on a screen with a white background and some other scenes; black and white, light blue etc. on different inputs. After changing all the settings back to default of course (up arrow on remote, shut power off using the button on the TV). I had the blue turned up all the way and the green turned down all the way in the white balance before so I could bear to watch the old one.

I can see a slight hue of green in the lower left of the screen.

I suspect this is a re-worked block and obviously not as good as new but not bad.

The picture is 100x better than it was with the old block but I'm expecting this one to only get worse.

I guess I'll just enjoy it while it lasts. My next set is going to be an LED back lit LCD.

A SAMSUNG!!!!!!

Dammit Sony!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bug the heck out of them again. You are covered till 2010, there is no limit to the number of OB's they must replace.

If it is bad it is bad.

I would make them change that thing 100 times if my model was still covered by the extended warrany.

My second block went bad 2 weeks after the extended warranty expired and they said "so sorry".

If you don't want to do it let me do it for you. I would love to ream them a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The extended warranty ends June 30th 2010 for this series

I am definitively going to have them replace it again before that runs out.

I'm keeping my eye on it for now. If it gets worse at all I'll, have them come back and replace it. Since its already has signs of it I bet it will. I want to see if it does.

If it stays the way it is, I'll have them replace it next May. If that one so much as has a green pixel I'll make them come back.

Either way, this won't be the last replacement block in this set.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have heard from other posts that after a few ob replacements they will find it more cost effective to give you a new tv, or the option to fix your old one.

I have no personal exprience with this but I seen several who have had it done.

It may be in your best interest to bug them now, if they realize you are not going to give up they may make you a very good offer.

If your warranty is about to expire they will probably just change it one more time and say "so sorry".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, to answer my own question, it doesn't appear they have a fix.

There coming back tomorrow as the issue has returned.

This will probably be the last time under warranty so it will be a new TV next time around.

Hopefully I can find something I like. Haven't seen an LCD I liked yet. I think it would be a plasma if I had to pick something today. I would have kept this for at least 5 more years. I don't think she'll last that long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts