AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own or have opinions on the new Sony 42TS2. The unit I saw at Best Buy was impressive and I am considering a purchase.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Saw the same unit and was impressed.I have yet to find a review on it.Seemed a bit pricy and was not upgradable.The pioneer 433cmx is upgradable and is similar to the 11 thousand pioneer all stores have on display but its better because of the video card that can be upgraded

·
Registered
53 Posts
I love it. Great improvement over Sony's last generation. I'm satisfied enough with the DSS signal (actually quite surprised with the beautiful picture quality - watched Lord of the Rings on Starz last night and was a very enjoyable watching experience) to forego the video processor for now, and DVD is amazing.

When I was researching my options, it was a Sony vs Panasonic battle. Although the Panasonic's black levels were great and the color was quite vivid, the Sony impressed me enough to win. Calibration is a must however, to get the absolute best picture quality out of any plasma purchase.

You won't be disappointed if Sony is your purchase decision.

-bd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mattg3, I was able to get a quote for 5899 so the price looks pretty good right now. I am curious though why the ability to upgrade the video card would be a priority. I have ordered a Zenith sat520 STB and would think the ability to replace the STB would satisfy the upgradeability, (is that a word) aspect.

I was also thinking about getting a NRS for this also and hooking up through the DVI.

Its getting down to the wire in my decesion, is there a feature you particulary like on the 433?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
be_deviler,

Thanks for the input, glad to hear you like your 42TS2. What type of DVD player are you using and are you using the DVD progressive scan or letting the Sony do the upscaling?

Did you do the calibration and if so what tools did you use? I have both Avia and video essentials and wondering if these will suffice.

thanks

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Just the idea of an upgradable video card that plugs right into the unit with no stb.If you go for the sony let me know how it works out since in some ways i still have not made my final decision.Ive had a sony wega for 3 years and owned the first sony 25 xbr for about 12 years and they were ahead of eveyone else in pq quality.Maybe this sony plasmawill set some new standards.Now if someone would only review it. Matt

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also saw the KE-42TS2 model at Best Buy and thought they made a big improvement over their previous generation model (KZ-42TS1). One of the sales staff showed me a copy of Sony's promotional material, that lists some of the improvements in the new model:

- Addition of DVI-HDTV interface

- A 43% Improved Brightness

- Improved Contrast Ratio (1000:1)

I think the black levels appeared much darker than their old model that I had a chance to demo at a different store. It's still an ALIS panel and so may not appeal to all.

In addition, Crutchfield has finally acknowledged the market for Plasma TV's, by now marketing the new Sony models, along with models from Pioneer and Sampo for the first time on their web site.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Rusty1963:

Quote:
I was also thinking about getting a NRS for this also and hooking up through the DVI.
FWIW, I had a email exchange with Faroudja in early December about the NRS with DVI and was told:

Quote:
we are working on a new NRS-DVI unit. However, I am unsure of when it will become available

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry, but I don't believe this model includes a DVI-HDCP interface. I think you have to go to the XBR model plasma to get that feature.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Rusty... I'm using the Sony DVP-S550D DVD (mid-grade), not progressive scan so the monitor is doing most of the work via component connection. Looks great, although I'll be picking up a video processor when, as Jim posted, DVI is a standard feature on most HT processor options. This monitor's processing power alone is fairly impressive as I'm having no major diffculties with picture quality from any source, even watching football yesterday. Right now, Warren Miller's "Fifty" is treating me to quite an experience on Starz! Avia or Video Essentials should suffice your calibration needs just fine.

okc... This model does, in fact have a DVI-HDCP interface.

-bd

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also am strongly considering jumping into plasma with the KE-42TS2 (at present however apparently in very short supply). It was very impressive AB compared with the Panasonic PT42PHD4P. Overall presentation is also high on WAP.

Is anyone aware of a method to utilize the on-board speakers for the center channnel audio?

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I did find the dvi-hdcp listed on sonys web site under technical specs.Unless its something else im sure i saw it listed and my question is if i buy the unit(Im considering it over the pioneer 433cmx because people seem to be getting a great pq quality on it for all sd cable and direct tv which makes me wonder if sony has done something to the included tuner to accomplish this}what would I be able to do with a dvi-hdcp input?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Matt...

DVI is a pure digital signal. Ideally, I'd use a video processor as a switcher for all sources, then processor to monitor via DVI cable. Pure digital signals would be passed through the processor straight to the monitor for the best picture quality. Non-digital sources would be "cleaned up" up through the processor, then passed to the monitor. I know it's a simplistic explanation (perhaps too much so), but that's what it is in a nutshell. DVD players, STB's, even receivers should be coming out with DVI in the very near future and become prevalent (there are much better explanations elsewhere on this forum - use the search feature).

If the monitor you choose doesn't have DVI out of the box, but is upgradeable, you should be fine. Sounds like the industry may be leaning toward DVI as a "standard" so I'm planning ahead by ensuring that the new equipment I purchase is compliant.

-bd

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I believe the model in question has DVI/HDCP (aka DVI-HDTV).

Mark

·
Registered
148 Posts
I went back and looked at this set's specs again. I see the DVI interface but not an indication that it will handle the HDCP encryption. perhaps someone can post a URL to that info on a Sony site.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You know what okc? I stand corrected. HDCP can be delivered from compatipble STB's. So, the interface exists but the encryption is to be delivered via another device.

-bd

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Bd: Nonsense... All that means is that the set can take output from DVI/HDCP-encrypted content delivered via set-tops and other devices that output in that way.

This set is as DVI/HDCP-ready as any out there.

Mark

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Rogo have you seen the ts2 and do you have any feedback on it.People saying all sd broadcasts look great is a new one for me and makes me wonder if sony is onto something new here worth considering

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.